PDA

View Full Version : Poly roll bar bushes

Quicksilver
Saturday 4th November 2017, 18:36
I’ve got the front roll bar bush repair kit with poly bushes, do I need to lubricant these on intsterlation? Always have when I’ve fitted poly bushes before.

MoleT-5R
Saturday 4th November 2017, 19:23
Oooh....now that's a can of worms really....personally I'd copper ease these, as the bar needs to move, as it's effect is in it's twisting action and the transfer of load from one side to the other to keep the car flat...so if both wheels hit a speed bump for instance then both depress and the bar will rotate. So I'd definitely lube these parts...some on here see them as a friction device....? ?

claymore
Saturday 4th November 2017, 20:53
££££, no, never use coppaslip, only use the lube that came with the bushes or washing up liquid.

Quicksilver
Saturday 4th November 2017, 21:16
££££, no, never use coppaslip, only use the lube that came with the bushes or washing up liquid.
The PFV roll bar kit has no lube suppled hence asking the question. I've fitted polybushs to my BM in the past and they came with lube as does the the subframe inserts I got at the same time.

Does washing up liquid not wash away though? Think I've got some Powerflex lube left over or silicon grease?

claymore
Saturday 4th November 2017, 22:32
The whole point is to have the lube only to help fitment, arb bushes are not supposed to allow rotation unless they have a washer welded onto the arb to stop lateral movement.

Quicksilver
Saturday 4th November 2017, 23:28
The whole point is to have the lube only to help fitment, arb bushes are not supposed to allow rotation unless they have a washer welded onto the arb to stop lateral movement.
Makes sense as the original bushes are bonded to the bar.

M-R-P
Sunday 5th November 2017, 09:19
Washing-up liquid dries after a while, helping to grab the bar.

MoleT-5R
Sunday 5th November 2017, 11:46
But as the car rides the bumps in a straight line and the dampers compress the bar will rotate, so some lube must be require to stop unwanted wear of these items....also the lube I had with my powerflex top mount, looked just like copperease

claymore
Sunday 5th November 2017, 12:10
if the bar can rotate, then it can also move from side to side (which would be a big no no) so unless the arb has some positive way of stopping side to side movement then then the bar should not be allowed to turn in the bush.
You can see in this picture that the arb cant move from side to side, but the volvo arb doesn't have the washers to stop lateral movement which is why the bushes are bonded to the bar.

MoleT-5R
Sunday 5th November 2017, 13:43
Good point Colin, so as I see it in that case the volvo arb should be replaced really, when the bushes are shot as it's design is only for bonded rubber bushes, there is the possibility of lateral movement if aftermarket types of bush are used instead, as they are only relying on a fiction fit, which must be lost over time with the bars natural movement and will then allow the lateral movement we are trying to avoid.

Quicksilver
Sunday 5th November 2017, 20:26
I'm waiting for a reply from PFV.

Harvey
Monday 6th November 2017, 11:39
Not sure what make bushes you have.
https://www.ipdusa.com/products/10022/103013-front-ipd-anti-sway-bar-mount-kit-25mm-bar

Quicksilver
Tuesday 7th November 2017, 11:01
Not those, P1 21mm bar repair kit from Parts for Volvo. Their saying the bushes are pre lubed.

Quicksilver
Thursday 9th November 2017, 20:32
WOW what a b***h of a job they are!!! The bars off, old bushes removed and a fresh coat of paint is drying off in garage. The crash bracket round the steering was the bigger!!
My rear subframe bushes aren't corroded so the inserts should fit okay.
Look forward to putting it back together tomorrow.

Quicksilver
Friday 10th November 2017, 19:11
The reassembley didn't quite go to plan?!! Steering rack bellows looking a bit dodgy and with plenty of room to change them with the subframe dropped I took the opportunity, also changed the front brake flexes.
Three night shifts to do now before I can put her back together.

Quicksilver
Tuesday 14th November 2017, 22:14
She's all back together and it was a lot of work but front end is so quiet now! no annoying rattle and sqeek from the passenger side and feels more planted with the subframe inserts.
Another item off the to do list!