PDA

View Full Version : Actuator spring or tcv?

Jofenan
Monday 9th October 2017, 11:18
Thought I'd start a new thread as my previous one about my boost gauge is now sorted!

Following on from confirming my boost gauge was working fine and sorting my boost leak too I now have just 3 psi missing! My actuator is adjusted fine and when I disconnect it from the tcv I get 11psi easily on the boost gauge. So my question is is it likely to be a worn out actuator spring or a faulty tcv?

Jon

MoleT-5R
Tuesday 10th October 2017, 07:02
Think you may have answered your own question here. ...I'd try a new tcv personally

Jofenan
Tuesday 10th October 2017, 08:52
Had a thought. To compensate for whatever is faulty (spring or tcv) could I just shorten my actuator rod until I'm getting 11psi?

martin_r_smith
Tuesday 10th October 2017, 19:05
No. Well you can but it's not advisable at all.

LeeT5
Tuesday 10th October 2017, 21:07
Following on from confirming my boost gauge was working fine and sorting my boost leak too I now have just 3 psi missing! My actuator is adjusted fine and when I disconnect it from the tcv I get 11psi easily on the boost gauge. So my question is is it likely to be a worn out actuator spring or a faulty tcv?

Jon

Had a thought. To compensate for whatever is faulty (spring or tcv) could I just shorten my actuator rod until I'm getting 11psi?

I can see this ending in tears....:hidesbehi Anyone else wanna hide behind my sofa? :worried:

Jofenan
Tuesday 10th October 2017, 22:09
Room for one more?

claymore
Wednesday 11th October 2017, 08:37
you could always add a helper spring :)

https://i.imgur.com/RylbBDc.jpg

Jofenan
Wednesday 11th October 2017, 16:38
Does that help the car bend a rod??? :)

M-R-P
Wednesday 11th October 2017, 17:14
Stick 1 more turn on the actuator and see what happens.

Or buy a tcv, they have a relatively long life but they don't last forever.

Jofenan
Wednesday 11th October 2017, 19:37
I've ordered a new tcv and I tried one extra turn when I adjust the rod over the weekend. Car boosted an extra 1 psi but had a slight misfire on tickover. Not sure if it's related yet but will turn it back when I get a chance a see if it goes back to normal

claymore
Wednesday 11th October 2017, 20:06
Adjusting the actuator isn't going to have anything to do with a misfire at tickover. I don't think your issue is the tcv, I would just wind the rod until you get the desired boost. and if that works, you can then decide if you want to spend the money on a replacement actuator.

Jofenan
Wednesday 11th October 2017, 22:21
Must just be a coincidence then. The tcv was only a tenner so no great loss if it doesn't sort things. An upgraded actuator was on the list after I got stage zero sorted!

LeeT5
Thursday 12th October 2017, 07:10
Must just be a coincidence then. The tcv was only a tenner so no great loss if it doesn't sort things. An upgraded actuator was on the list after I got stage zero sorted!

Really? So you didn't buy a brand new one from Volvo then?

Replacing a tired, slow reacting TCV with another tired, slow reacting TCV, isn't going to help.

Jofenan
Thursday 12th October 2017, 07:38
It's a new one. Just not from Volvo

M-R-P
Thursday 12th October 2017, 10:27
Needs to be a genuine one or maybe take a chance on a mac valve.

Jofenan
Thursday 12th October 2017, 11:42
Read bad things about mbc's on an me7 car. Apparently the ecu cuts boost at the top end. I've just got a cheap tcv to see if that's the problem before I go spending £80 on a new adjustable actuator or £80 on a decent aftermarket tcv.

stribo
Thursday 12th October 2017, 13:20
Read bad things about mbc's on an me7 car. Apparently the ecu cuts boost at the top end. I've just got a cheap tcv to see if that's the problem before I go spending £80 on a new adjustable actuator or £80 on a decent aftermarket tcv.

If you are going for a TCV, go for a genuine Volvo one, they're only about £50 from Volvo, and haven't been improved on. The so called heavy duty TCVs only have an operating temperatytre up to 50 degrees Celsius, so don't last long under the bonnet of a Volvo.

Jofenan
Thursday 12th October 2017, 15:05
I've read very good things about the snabb and not so good things about the ipd one!

M-R-P
Thursday 12th October 2017, 22:58
The first generation ipd one got a bad reputation but the newer ones are a lot better.
I've been lucky - my 1St generation ipd tcv has been fine, although due a service.

Jofenan
Sunday 15th October 2017, 12:41
Sorted the misfire. Just a coil pack :)

M-R-P
Saturday 21st October 2017, 00:03
Nice easy fix. Happy days.

I still haven't serviced my tcv tho lol

LeeT5
Saturday 21st October 2017, 05:28
Nice easy fix. Happy days.

I still haven't serviced my tcv tho lol

How do you do that then?

M-R-P
Saturday 21st October 2017, 10:04
The ipd one comes apart. The solenoid and block can be cleaned and lubricated and (if it has any) the o-rings can be replaced.