PDA

View Full Version : Engine undertray- really necessary or not plz?

foammanmark
Wednesday 16th August 2017, 13:34
My R has come back with the slightly battered tray in the boot. Sure that it will be OK to re-fit but is it really needed?

Nealevo
Wednesday 16th August 2017, 13:39
Its not really needed mate, it just there to stop potential damage from debris etc. its not an aerodynamic feature as some people seem to believe. Welcome back to the fold....again

foammanmark
Wednesday 16th August 2017, 13:44
Thanks for the tip and also the welcome back!! I never left the Volvo scene completely as I still had my C70 T5, but I haven't been on here much, I must admit.

don kalmar union
Wednesday 16th August 2017, 19:52
If you look at one of these undertrays you will see how important they are intended to be in managing the airflow both through the crucial intercooler and the radiator, furthermore there are ducts moulded into them to further manage air circulation up to the turbocharger and the downpipe.

If you potter about with the car never really reaching working temperatures you most likely will not have any problems..... otherwise you most certainly will over time.

Don.

foammanmark
Thursday 17th August 2017, 08:34
If you look at one of these undertrays you will see how important they are intended to be in managing the airflow both through the crucial intercooler and the radiator, furthermore there are ducts moulded into them to further manage air circulation up to the turbocharger and the downpipe.

If you potter about with the car never really reaching working temperatures you most likely will not have any problems..... otherwise you most certainly will over time.

Don.

Thanks for this Don. Can anyone suggest the best clips to buy as I don't have any if I am to refit it? Loads on the bay, but want to get the correct/best ones.

foammanmark
Friday 18th August 2017, 19:13
Tray refitted just with cable ties rather than bolts. Removed all the crud from it which was rather a lot tbh!!

stribo
Friday 18th August 2017, 20:41
Mine hasn't had one since I fitted the do88 radiator and intercooler, mainly as it'll no longer fit.

p fandango
Friday 18th August 2017, 22:45
mine normally get binned first time they get took off

LeeT5
Sunday 20th August 2017, 09:41
My R has come back with the slightly battered tray in the boot. Sure that it will be OK to re-fit but is it really needed?

I'm my opinion...Yes!

I could count on both hands the amount of ppl I've been out to with cracked sumps, damaged oil filters, torn P/S lines etc, etc. The damage and expense just isn't worth it, plus like Don mentioned about the cooling properties and yes under trays do help with slip streaming the car.

I have an Alloy one fitted to mine from Volvo and that has cooling ducts. Everytime I remove it for service I notice a new scratch or dent on it from debris in the road. You'd be suprised at how battered they get.......imagine that was your sump!

foammanmark
Sunday 20th August 2017, 15:24
I'm my opinion...Yes!

I could count on both hands the amount of ppl I've been out to with cracked sumps, damaged oil filters, torn P/S lines etc, etc. The damage and expense just isn't worth it, plus like Don mentioned about the cooling properties and yes under trays do help with slip streaming the car.

I have an Alloy one fitted to mine from Volvo and that has cooling ducts. Everytime I remove it for service I notice a new scratch or dent on it from debris in the road. You'd be suprised at how battered they get.......imagine that was your sump!

Thanks Lee. As posted, it's back on, and I have a TC splitter on the front bumper also.