PDA

View Full Version : MMMmmm.... another little problem after another at the moment

Timo.
Tuesday 15th August 2017, 21:05
Had a random lambda light and fan on all the time issue a few months ago. Swiftly figured out the engine coolant temp sensor was gone. Replaced that which solved the issue. Lambda light took a few weeks to go out (dont use the car much). The other day after some heavy braking testing the abs and tracs lights pop up. A quick engine restart and they go out but if you hit the brakes again, on they come.

Again, another quick bit of research pointed to a brake pressure sensor on the master cylinder and that fact they fail and leak fluid through the plug. Low and behold, unplugged it and it was soaked in brake fluid. No one seems to have the part anymore, dont think volvo make it either. Fortunately a quick visit to my local volvo breaker and I had a second hand one for a tenner. Haven't changed it yet but pretty sure it'll solve the problem.

Anyway, I ordered a new crank case breather set from PFV so thought I'd better fit that today. I had the inlet manifold off a few years ago and cleaned the original one so I knew what to expect. Got everything off and thought the inlet gasket looked a bit dodgy. Had to leave the job anyway to go visit family. Thought I'd better order a new gasket. Quick look on ebay, paid extra from next day delivery and then finally got back home to fit the new pipes and filter and as much as I could do without the gasket.

Of course at the end of all that, I looked down at the bag of parts and thought why's that cardboard in the bag. Look a bit harder I then saw the gasket that had come with the kit................. Buggar!!!

Although it meant I could finish the job just in time for the rain to come on hard.

Just when I thought things were looking up, my lambda light has come on again today. No idea what's wrong with it this time (this was on before I did the crank case work). Runs fine.

I've managed to get the demo VOL FCR stuff offline which sort of works with my old VAGCOM type usb obll cable. It seems to be able to communicate with the ABS and other systems but it will not connect to the ECO for some reason. It just keeps saying its timed out. HELP!!

The end.... :)

M-R-P
Wednesday 16th August 2017, 08:14
Lambda light could mean a number of things. Without better diagnostics it's not gonna be an easy diagnosis.
Does it have a performance cat? That'll usually trigger a lambda warning. As will a dirty maf or even a boost leak somewhere in the system.

Maybe there's someone local to you with diagnostic kit you can use?

MoleT-5R
Wednesday 16th August 2017, 09:22
reading the codes is the way forward, but not all obd11 works tidily with our old 850's, I personally prefer the older models with the diagnostic sockets mounted on the front of the ecu box (you could read the codes where ever you are without the need for cables and stuff) but the same sort of thing can be done in the later obd11 socket inside the car, flash codes can be taken and the fault codes reset, just with the use of a 12v led and 3 wires and 3 paper clips plus a bit of insulation tape. There are threads out there on making these simple readers, the one I used I've linked, but it's lost it's picture due to photobucket begin dicks with there uses and trying to force us to pay to share our photos, hope that helps.

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=46943

M-R-P
Wednesday 16th August 2017, 09:38
This forum is now filled with thousands of dead links thanks to the greed of photobucket!

MoleT-5R
Wednesday 16th August 2017, 11:21
Yep....been toying with going back through my build threads to put in pictures from flickr, but it would be a lot of work

Timo.
Wednesday 16th August 2017, 11:40
Its running bang on. No issues with performance so maybe its just having a 'monthly moment'. I have replaced the brake pressure sensor and the abs and tracs is now sorted and function perfectly, so that was a nice relief.

Did the glove trick on the oil filler to check the crack case breather and its gets suck in with some gentle blips of the throttle, whereas before it was blow the glove up. Happy with that also.

Next job is cambelt and then its future proof for many years to come :)

T.

Timo.
Friday 18th August 2017, 20:01
Lambda light has now gone off.

Fitted a new expansion tank to solve the sinking float issue.

All good!!! for the moment........

Timo.
Saturday 26th August 2017, 09:59

Cambelt sorted. No need to worry about it for a long time now :)

Timo.
Saturday 26th August 2017, 09:59
I think that mount needs replaced. Should have done it at the same time.

Timo.
Thursday 31st August 2017, 16:29
Built myself a flash code reader this morning. Should have done it ages ago.

Had a nice OBD2 plug from a solar panel car charger sitting around which came in handy.

So ECU faults comprised of: -
1-2-3 Engine coolant temp signal issue (already replaced, already knew it about it)
1-2-1 MAF issue (I'm guessing its either beginning to fail, dirty or there is a dodgy wire somewhere)

Both cleared and haven't come back.

Climate control had many codes
1-4-3
1-4-5
2-2-1
2-3-1
2-3-3
3-2-2
3-2-5
4-1-7
:wow:
I guessed this may be codes from like the last 10 years if not longer.
Cleared the codes and got back
1-2-4 interior temp sensor dodgy (drivers side)
1-2-6 interior temp sensor dodgy (passenger side)
1-4-3 Passenger temp switch on climate control dodgy
4-1-4 Fan seized for temp sensor seized (other side to 417 above)

Located and removed the little fans and sensor from the roof lining behind the grab handles. What interesting little things they are. Absolutely clogged to hell in 21 years of dust. Removed, cleaned and breakages in both the sensor wires soldered.
Put back in car, both fans spinning, happy days.

Read codes again
1-4-3 remained and wasn't for going.

Took out Climate control unit. Distmanted, well took cover off, had a good look around. Looked fine. Cant distmantle the actual variable temp control switch without a major soldering operation. Just twisted it left and right numerous times hoping it was just a bit dirty inside. Put back together. Back in car, cleared codes and left with none!! Result.

Need to get the air con regassed and then the whole thing might actually work.

Over and out until the next issue.................

Timo.
Friday 1st September 2017, 13:25

What a difference. The old one totally collapsed. No more knocking. Engine sitting at least 3/4 inch higher if not more.