PDA

View Full Version : Year 2000 C70 T5. ETM advice.

foammanmark
Tuesday 18th July 2017, 13:31
170k on the clock but I've just ploughed £500 into the bodywork, cam-belt change less than 2k miles ago, and now it seems the dreaded ETM issue is here. Is it worth cleaning it or am I just delaying the inevitable please?

LeeT5
Tuesday 18th July 2017, 14:01
Clean it first as it will be subject to carbon build up and therefore erratic/poor behaviour. You've nothing to loose and it will make a difference.

Just make sure you reset the adaptions before starting the car!! If you cannot do that, then at the very least, you'll need to disconnect the battery for at least 10 minutes.

foammanmark
Tuesday 18th July 2017, 15:03
Cheers Lee for the above. Local indy wants £500'ish to replace it, so it's deffo a clean to begin with. Plenty of guidance on youtube, and your tip above!

foammanmark
Tuesday 18th July 2017, 22:37
In the very early stages of ETM failure, as the symptoms only started on the last 250 miles work trip. She was fine when I popped by Shem's in Nottingham, but not OK by the time that I got Home. Using her tomorrow, but her idling was very erratic when I just fired her up.

foammanmark
Saturday 29th July 2017, 19:54
Started to strip the car down, and came across very corroded lower fan shroud screws so decided to abandon the job. Contacted Shem but no response as yet, but I'm going for whatever repair is available by someone in the know rather than attempting the repair myself.

foammanmark
Tuesday 8th August 2017, 17:39
OK, so I feel a bit of a numpty tbh. Decided to start replacing vac-lines last Thursday, and whilst doing that, I got hold of the pipe from the bottom of the intercooler which was totally adrift at the botom. Pulled the whole pipe out and the jubilee clip had totally corroded away.

New clip, car running beautifully, and Mikalor clamps just arrived to do the job properly.

LeeT5
Tuesday 8th August 2017, 18:32
You'll still need to clear the fault codes that will have been logged.

foammanmark
Tuesday 8th August 2017, 18:45

OK Lee, cheers for that.I'll run her by my local indy in the next few days and see what's logged.

Wobbly Dave
Thursday 10th August 2017, 00:55
FRF did me 250 quid exchange for a new ETM. You may need to take it to Volvo to get it flashed? Mine worked straight out of the box. I'd happily fit it FOC.

foammanmark
Friday 11th August 2017, 11:27
FRF did me 250 quid exchange for a new ETM. You may need to take it to Volvo to get it flashed? Mine worked straight out of the box. I'd happily fit it FOC.

Hi WD. Thanks for the offer, but it turned out not to be the ETM if you read earlier in the thread. If/when I do ever have an ETM issue, I will be touch!!

foammanmark
Wednesday 16th August 2017, 12:56

Read them last night with my cheap reader that came back with my V70 R. Think P1238 was logged, but could be wrong. Anyway, the car is driving even better today..............

LeeT5
Wednesday 16th August 2017, 13:07
You should clear that code, which relates to Air fuel metering/TCV, then see if the fault returns. If it does, then replacing the throttle Assy has merely uncovered a separate issue, which may or may not have already been present.