PDA

View Full Version : Transmission Service Required on my S80 5% Auto

WishawDaddy
Thursday 25th May 2017, 10:36
Hello there,

Brand new here, so probably subject has been covered in the past. If so, sorry.

I've a 2004 S80 D5 Auto with 150K on it. It's a bit clunky, but I've had it for about 4 years and really quite like it.

A couple of weeks I ago got a Transmission Service Required error on the dash and the gearbox started to behave erratically. It would pull away in high gear some of the time and there was a burning smell like a clutch. If the car was cold, it worked OK.

A wee Google around suggested I might need a gearbox, but this a no-no because the car is only worth about a grand.

I just abandoned it for a week or so, but then decided to change the transmission fluid to see if this would get me out of jail.

Funnily enough it seems to have worked, but I've still got the errors showing on the display, so I need them cleared. Also, I'm not really confident that this is been a correct fix, so I'd like to just trade the car and get another Volvo, probably a S60 D5 auto. (My wife thinks the S80 drives like a couch).

Any advise much appreciated and can I get the messages cleared to let me trade it? I'm based just outside Glasgow.

Many thanks,

htomi
Thursday 25th May 2017, 10:54
Disconnect the battery cables, wait 5 mins to ensure all units are completely powered down , then touch the positive and negative for a sec. reconnect the positive first, then the negative. Alternatively you can take off the negative and leave it disconnected for an hour or so/overnight.
Before re-connecting the negative, turn the key to posII according to the advice given earlier within this forum.
This will clear the stored DTCs, however if the box is toasted then it will come back.

WishawDaddy
Thursday 25th May 2017, 11:52
Disconnect the battery cables, wait 5 mins to ensure all units are completely powered down , then touch the positive and negative for a sec. reconnect the positive first, then the negative. Alternatively you can take off the negative and leave it disconnected for an hour or so/overnight.
Before re-connecting the negative, turn the key to posII according to the advice given earlier within this forum.
This will clear the stored DTCs, however if the box is toasted then it will come back.

Thanks for the idea.

I've just tried this. I left the battery disconnected for 10 mins and did the touch thing with the terminals. It don't work though, so it looks like I'll need to try to find a local service that will reset the messages for me.