PDA

View Full Version : What's this pipe?

Bigsi15
Saturday 29th April 2017, 08:42
Anyone know what this black plastic pipe is for? Looks like prt of the ventilation system but they all work ok. I assume it's meant to be joined but it's stuck in there tight!

It's located above the brake booster bolts slightly towards the centre console

Thanks!

M-R-P
Saturday 29th April 2017, 10:11
Maybe rear floor vents.

Harvey
Saturday 29th April 2017, 12:58
water drain of the aircon ?

Bigsi15
Sunday 30th April 2017, 14:40
Good point guys, I think vents to the back may be the best option as air does pass through it and there's no sign of any water. It refuses to go back together though!

I will test the rear vents before I put it together and post an update if I can get it together!

Thanks

Dangerous Dave
Monday 1st May 2017, 21:21
The rear floor vents usually come off the front of the heater and down the side of the floor tunnel.

There is a vent on both sides which demists the cargo area windows just behind the rear seats, maybe for that.

Dangerous Dave
Monday 1st May 2017, 21:32
Hmm, looking at some parts diagrams it seems it goes through the bulkhead into the engine bay. This must be the ecu cooling pipework

Apparently air is directed from the a/c system into the bottom of the ecu which is then vented through the pipe which goes from the ecu box to the fan cowling.

If you look under the coolant tank there is an insulated pipe which runs from the bulkhead to the ecu. Always wondered why it was insulated :)

Bigsi15
Monday 1st May 2017, 21:57
That's very interesting I never even thought of that. It does indeed go into the firewall but I always figured the ecu was passively cooled by the pipe coming in from the front. Will try and see if I can link it up and get an answer. Thanks for looking it up on the diagramms

Dangerous Dave
Monday 1st May 2017, 22:50
That's very interesting I never even thought of that. It does indeed go into the firewall but I always figured the ecu was passively cooled by the pipe coming in from the front. Will try and see if I can link it up and get an answer. Thanks for looking it up on the diagramms
Thats what I thought too. Volvo went that extra mile for some reason.