PDA

View Full Version : Bigger brakes discs

Rainman
Saturday 10th December 2005, 15:01
I would like to uprate the discs on my 96 850R to 302mm. Does anyone know the part numbers of the discs and the caliper brackets?

Cheers

Richard

gazjacko
Saturday 10th December 2005, 20:18
Sorry thought I could help but have just sent the old ones back in the original box! The caliper carriers you need are from a C70/S70 about '97-'98 as they ran 302mm discs, I'm using the Black Diamond grooved discs and uprated pads but there are loads of others if you search the threads here and you'll get as many opinions as there are options.
Remember to order new hoses as well as the originals are too short.
All I can say is I'm really impressed with mine.

BlackBeast
Saturday 10th December 2005, 20:57
The caliper carriers you need are from a C70/S70 about '97-'98 as they ran 302mm discs.

Should that include the V70 as well??? I know my '97 V70 has the 280mm discs.

Vikingxl
Saturday 10th December 2005, 21:25
I thought it was only the R's that had the 302mm discs im probably wrong but my 98 v70 only had 280mm discs on as well

gazjacko
Sunday 11th December 2005, 00:25
I'd just go in to my local Volvo Main Agent and asked which C/V/S70s are fitted with 302mm discs and ask for the caliper carriers from that model. The bits are sold exchange, and you may find them reluctant to exchange 280mm carriers for 302mm ones. I got mine in the kit from partsforvolvosonline.com
but they still needed the old carriers back.
You could try a scrappy as long as the pins are clean and true the carriers should be ok but you will find most are still only 280mm.
Do it that way and source all the other bits from GSF would make a really worhtwhile and cheap upgrade.

After_Shock
Sunday 11th December 2005, 01:13
Which pads are you using with the black diamonds? I had them a while back matching pads with the grooved discs and they were terrible, really noisy, set on fire constantly and were only slightly better at stopping than standard, but the standard ones faded and didnt end up in flames!

jross
Sunday 11th December 2005, 04:44
OE disks should be P/N 272276
The bracket should be P/N 8602456

Not sure if the calipers are different.

Vikingxl
Sunday 11th December 2005, 07:53
Careful with the space saver whell as well if you have a 16" one it wont fit over the 302mm discs.I had to change mine for a 17"

gazjacko
Sunday 11th December 2005, 09:03
I'm using the Black Diamond pads as well. Yes they are noisy but I think that's the grooves on the discs as it's a different noise to the 'cha cha cha cha' I've noticed you get from other cars with drilled discs. The only time I notice the extra noise is heavy braking from high speed ( such as coming off a M-Way slip rd ) where I'm knocking off 70mph in a short distance. To be honest at first I turned the stereo down to listen to it but now I hardly notice it.
I had new calipers at the same time (they're std ones the carriers just move them out the extra distance) so everything was clean and tidy with backplates greased, and didn't experience any squeal or similar.
The more I think about it the more I'm convinced that the best part of the mod is the improved feel which must be due in some way to the new fliud (dot 5.1) and braided hoses.

Wobbly Dave
Monday 12th December 2005, 00:23
I have some 2nd hand/nearly new 302mm disks that came of my late Felicity? £40 for the pair + P&P if your interested. They are the zimmerman disks what VT use.