PDA

View Full Version : Hiss behind dash

Bigsi15
Wednesday 12th April 2017, 11:43
Hi guys hope you're all well?
Just wondered if anyone could shed some light on a strange hissing noise I have Even under gentle acceleration that sounds to be coming from deep within the right hand side of my dashboard before I strip it all out looking blind. My car has cruise control and I'm aware that there are vacuum connectors behind there however the boost gauge and cruise control both function fine so I was wondering if it could be anything else? It is quite noticeable and has done it for months! Can the turbo cbv leak or would that cause running problems as it runs great.

In the engine bay all of my hoses are new and tightened and vacuum hoses are fine Other than the large one to the brake master which looks to be ok and so Iv Never fiddled with it

Thanks!

jamesy12345
Wednesday 12th April 2017, 11:48
Try clamping off the hoses that run to those two items you mentioned, to see if the noise stops. Not the the brake servo though :)
...or maybe....http://www.gifanimados.com/Gifs-Walt-Disney/Animaciones-Peliculas-Walt-Disney/Libro-de-la-Selva/Serpiente-Kaa/Serpiente-Kaa-76085.gif?cws_a2bc=1

M-R-P
Wednesday 12th April 2017, 13:29
Could be a boost pipe leaking.

Bigsi15
Wednesday 12th April 2017, 15:38
Boost pipe I'm not so sure about as they are new and I checked them pretty thoroughly but worth another look I guess! Jamesy though yes that's a great and very simple idea! Don't know why that didn't occur to me. Certainly will Rule bits out! Thanks guys

Bigsi15
Thursday 13th April 2017, 13:54
Hmm so tried that and hasn't solved it. Does sound like either in the dash or just behind the fire wall. Could my exhaust be split/leaking?? Runs ok and no smells

jamesy12345
Thursday 13th April 2017, 14:33
if you thinks it's the exhaust fella get it up on a ramp with the engine running & hold a piece of tissue paper near all the joints/holes to see if any movement. or a BBQ lighter if you are feeling brave :)

if no free access to ramp Kwik Fit or similar would love to find a leak for you (even if you don't have one...)

Bigsi15
Thursday 13th April 2017, 16:09
Aww and I just had it on the stands... lol

Dangerous Dave
Thursday 13th April 2017, 21:37
Brake servo?

Apparently they can leak at the bellows (grey bellows in pic below) under the dash behind the brake pedal. If you remove the drivers under dash cover you should be able to see it poking through the firewall. Maybe coming from there.

Try disconnecting and plugging the brake servo vacuum pipe (obviously don't drive it but you said it hisses at idle), that should rule it out.

http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s101/bomb192uk/servo.png

Bigsi15
Friday 14th April 2017, 00:45
Thanks that's a good plan. If that was at fault would it also affect the brakes etc?

Dangerous Dave
Friday 14th April 2017, 10:16
I'd have thought a vacuum leak in the servo would have some impact on the braking 'assistance', depends on how big the leak is. It would still operate, there would just be less of a vacuum to help.

Also check the connector on the front of the servo (white thing the pipe from the manifold connects to). This is also a non return valve which stops the boost pressure getting into the servo, could be that the non return valve is broken and pressurising the servo (but I would have thought braking would be affected a lot more if that was the case).

htomi
Friday 14th April 2017, 15:08
Perhaps its a long shot, but:
Is this noise definitely coming from behind the dash?
There is a rubber gromett plug thingy on the steering column where it connects to the boot under the pedals and if its not sitting properly on its place then it can cause weird noises in the cabin.

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o312/xblizzzle/DSC04666.jpg

Bigsi15
Friday 14th April 2017, 22:21
Thanks guys Il investigate this too. Htomi that's a good point you make there too, I haven't checked that yet but I was thinking along similar lines initially too. Might just be the turbo noise I guess but it doesn't sound like it should be there if that makes sense?!

Bigsi15
Tuesday 18th April 2017, 18:19
Right so had a bit more of a dig today and had some fun with a vacuum cleaner, fairy liquid, and duck tape ;)

It seems if I pressurise the exhaust from the rear I get quite a lot of bubbling where the turbo meets the manifold, where the exhaust meets the turbo and a little bit in the Flexi joint. All of the bolts are tight so not sure why it's leaking but it can't really be heard from the outside even with the Bonnet open and the engine running. I was starting to think my engine was sounding bad but I think the rattly tapping noise I can hear is probably this leak. I'm also getting a sweetish smell briefly when accelerating when thermostat is about halfway between cold and running temperature which I was starting to worry was coolant. however it's not dropping at all so perhaps this is a symptom of a leaky manifold as well.

Next question then, should there be a gasket between the turbo and the manifold? I spoke to Volvo and they seem to think not which to me is odd and may explain why i have a leak especially with the engine being moved about a bit when the clutch was done recently.

Also does anyone know a good stainless exhaust fabricator in the Bristol area?

Thanks!

https://youtu.be/JBBEkSAlQ_0

Bigsi15
Tuesday 25th April 2017, 15:04
So think I may have found part of the problem, had my new exhaust fitted today 2.5 inch turbo back going to a 3 inch rear silencer (cost limitations mainly) have to say it drives like a totally different car, turbo spool is much better and seems faster. However closer inspection of the old downpipe has shown quite a considerable crack most of the way round which probably explains some of the noise !

Bigsi15
Tuesday 25th April 2017, 19:56
Annoyingly though some of the hiss still prevails even though it is a bit better. Mystery continues LOL

Bigsi15
Friday 28th April 2017, 18:07
Maybe less mystery... seems to go away when pressing the brake reasonably hard when driving, any ideas? Master cylinder or just vaccum pipe hole somewhere?

Thanks

Bigsi15
Sunday 30th April 2017, 14:38
SOLVED
It was indeed the boot that goes around the steering column. I thought I had been seated properly but on closer inspection obviously hadn't and now it's very silent!

Thanks for everybody's help

Dangerous Dave
Monday 1st May 2017, 21:13
Nice one!

Something so simple....

Bigsi15
Monday 1st May 2017, 21:58
And cheap lol. What's annoying though is that I thought I'd checked it. Turned out that bearing at the base was meant to be inside the boot whereas I thought it was there to allow the column to turn AGAINST the boot. Live and learn lol

Dangerous Dave
Monday 1st May 2017, 22:51
Yeah, I've had mine pop out a couple of times, mainly when I've undone the universal joint on the steering rack to drop the subframe

woz
Monday 5th June 2017, 23:56
Hi Simon - who did your Zorrst in the end? I was going to recommend Infinity in Yate, not that I have used them but my mate has for his kitcar, having previously had a very bad experience with one of the big names resulting in him failing scrutineering at Castle Combe. He praised them highly.

Bigsi15
Tuesday 6th June 2017, 01:07
Hi buddy. Yes I used them in the end. Have to say mixed opinion sadly, price was good but they bodged my downpipe flange with the wrong one and didn't tell me, that cracked a weld a week later so had to go back for a temporary fix while they made a new flange. That was then incorrectly made as didn't have the female slot for the turbo male so when drivIng home was smoking out a gap so back again... eventually right and it's great. Nice guys though to be fair (the owner spent ages sorting it in his own time) and in fairness the flange being incorrectly made wasn't their fault but I would have liked to think they would pick up on it rather than me telling them! It's only because I'm anal about these things that I'm not driving around with it bodged now. I also wasn't offered any compensation for 2 extra 50 minute drives up to them and my time wasted

LeeT5
Tuesday 6th June 2017, 08:53
Hi buddy. Yes I used them in the end. Have to say mixed opinion sadly, price was good but they bodged my downpipe flange with the wrong one and didn't tell me, that cracked a weld a week later so had to go back for a temporary fix while they made a new flange. That was then incorrectly made as didn't have the female slot for the turbo male so when drivIng home was smoking out a gap so back again... eventually right and it's great. Nice guys though to be fair (the owner spent ages sorting it in his own time) and in fairness the flange being incorrectly made wasn't their fault but I would have liked to think they would pick up on it rather than me telling them! It's only because I'm anal about these things that I'm not driving around with it bodged now. I also wasn't offered any compensation for 2 extra 50 minute drives up to them and my time wasted

At least they sorted it. Probably an honest mistake and a steep learning curve for them too!?

Bigsi15
Tuesday 6th June 2017, 15:03
Yeah could have been worse I guess. Annoying but as you say at least it's sorted!

woz
Sunday 11th June 2017, 22:52
mmm... sometimes you learn more about the caliber of a company from how they react when things go wrong, than when they go right.
At least they seem to have "owned " the problem and kept at it until you were satisfied. Others we know to well on here have been inclined to deny it and leave the customer in the lurch.

Bigsi15
Monday 12th June 2017, 08:52
Yeah very true. To be fair they did at least try to resolve it and never give me any issues. I would suggest if you use them that you explain very clearly to them what you need and how to do it! I didn't and assumed they would do it right and they didn't. Other than that and checking it well before you leave you should be fine. So far mine has held up ok and is lifetime guaranteed. Good luck!