PDA

View Full Version : C70 convertible sub frame

Rogerb
Friday 31st March 2017, 21:52
Now that the weather is not quite as cold and wet, I have started doing a bit more work on my 1998 V70r.
I have got to replace the wish bones and repair the drive shafts and some engine mounts.
I have got hold of a C70 convertible sub frame and the extra rear brace to go with it.
Now seams like the perfect time to fit it.
Has anyone done this? and did the combination of the solid bushes and extra brace make much difference?
This is to go with the already fitted top brace , and tow bar cross pice.
Thankfully being a R the wish bones are the 4 bolt type , so my already purchased arms will still fit.

Roger.

oblark
Saturday 1st April 2017, 20:28
If your 98 v70r then the subframe brace won't fit without modify.

I've got one of these braces and will be modify it in the next few months.

Rogerb
Saturday 1st April 2017, 20:59
I am changing the whole subframe and the big brace at the back.
As it will not fit as you say on the normal subframe. Also the C70 convertible one has the added frame under the engine.
The bit were it doesn't fit is just the rear mounts on the standard subframe, where the standard one has rubber bushes and the C70 one solid metal ones.
I am hoping this will stiffen it up a bit.
Hopefully it will not transfer too much more vibration through.
I do like your car, very nice.

Roger.

Dangerous Dave
Saturday 1st April 2017, 22:04
Ma'R'k on here did it a couple of years ago

http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/showthread.php?59189-V70R-C70-Convertible-Subrame-Conversion

Rogerb
Sunday 2nd April 2017, 17:38
Thanks for the link.

My one came off a 2002 manual car.
I have all the mounts for the side of the gearbox extra mount, on the c70 the rear mount was not used and has just a bump stop on it.
My M59 gearbox has the mounts for the side mount on it , just not used and not threaded. But I tried it for fit and all ok.
Just got to decide what one to use. I am tempted to use the original, or both mounts together. I don't know what effect this would have. It may hold the engine a bit better or may fight each other.
Also the C70 has a different battery tray with a harmonic damper on it, with some extra mounts. As well as an other extra harmonic damper on the right hand side , and apparently one in the boot in the rear wing well.
As Ma'R'k had no problems that he said about I may not fit the dampers if not really required.
Roger.

Rogerb
Tuesday 2nd May 2017, 23:38
All fitted now.
I cut off the unused extra mount.
Just got to finish the rest of the jobs.

Roger.