PDA

View Full Version : Parts confusion - early chassis number

Gold 'N' Brown
Friday 31st March 2017, 09:37
My Ph2 V70 is a model year 2001 but registered in autumn 2000, and the last 7 digits of the chassis number are 2 062852, so that's an FC2 chassis with number 062852.

I need to order a front strut top mount bearing and a spring seat. On the Skandix website I've put my complete VIN in to set the vehicle model, so any parts that come up should be the right ones. That leads me to the following part numbers
31200599 - Mount
30683637 - Spring seat

They list these as suitable for FC2 up to 546642, so again my V70 fits that description.

However, when I look up the Volvo part numbers on line every seller I hit shows these as being for the 850, S/V70 up to 2000, and the C70. I've just had one eBay seller whom I placed an order with yesterday message me to say I've ordered the wrong parts.

So what gives? My chassis number fits for the earlier parts, but did Volvo really use the older 850 and S/V70 parts on the first year or so of the Ph2 V70s?

LeeT5
Friday 31st March 2017, 10:59
I think your over thinking it mate!

Your's is a P26 model, so all spring seats and bearing mounts for P2 models will fit your car.

Online sellers, often get this wrong when models cross over at model change dates.

Top Tip....don't buy them from ebay :wink: PFV or Main dealer will be good for 100k.

Gold 'N' Brown
Friday 31st March 2017, 11:02
So for the avoidance of doubt Lee, should I not go with thise part numbers above? Just go with the later versions for 2001 on V70s.

LeeT5
Saturday 1st April 2017, 17:37
So for the avoidance of doubt Lee, should I not go with thise part numbers above? Just go with the later versions for 2001 on V70s.

http://www.skandix.de/en/spare-parts/suspension-steering/suspension/spring-cap-front-axle-upper/1006059/

and

http://www.skandix.de/en/spare-parts/suspension-steering/shock-absorbing/suspension-strut-bearing/suspension-strut-support-bearing-front-axle-upper/1005032/

Gold 'N' Brown
Saturday 1st April 2017, 19:39
Sorry if I'm being thick Lee but you've just posted the same part numbers that I quoted in my OP. They are the exact numbers I ordered first time. And as that contradicts your previous reply I'm confused.

LeeT5
Saturday 1st April 2017, 20:46
They are the correct parts.
The eBay sites are what's throwing you off the scent. Which is why I said, don't buy from eBay, incase you get the wrong parts.

Gold 'N' Brown
Saturday 1st April 2017, 23:58
OK, back up the train.....

Forget the eBay bit for a moment, let's put that to one side. In short, there are two possible mounts available for the P26 V70 (numbers below) so what I'd really like to know is whether there's any significant difference between them (or put another way, are the physical dimensions different such that they are not interchangeable), or can you fit either mount on a P26 V70? Or must I fit the one that corresponds to my chassis number? They both look identical in photos, but they could just be stock images and not the actual item (again I'm not referring to eBay listings here).

Lee, I appreciate your responses and I'm grateful (I knew you'd answer, your about the only person regularly helping on here anymore), I'm not sure if you skim read my post or answered in a hurry but your first reply implied that I should ignore the bit about the chassis numbers and you said all P2 bearings and mounts fit, so I took that to mean get the later part number. Then you contradicted that by linking the Skandix listing for the part I previously said I'd ordered (since cancelled), which is the earlier mount.

THe options are:
VOlvo part no. 31200599 earlier (corresponds to my chassis number)
VOlvo part no. 30714968 later

The spring seat I gave the number for in my OP (same as you've linked to above) didn't change with chassis number so is fine.

Since my OP the first eBay seller cancelled the order and I've re-ordered the later 30714968 from a different seller. If that's wrong I should be able to cancel tomorrow as they've not dispatched it yet.

Now as for eBay, there is a reason behind this. I'm not keeping my V70, it will be gone in a few months either sold cheap or scrapped if I can't shift it. I need to fix the top mount in the meantime as it's completely shot. But I'm not going to throw good money after bad, it's less money to spend on my new car, so I need to do this cheap cheap. If I had been keeping it then this would be a total suspension refresh now with Billy B12 kit and either Volvo top mounts or Meyle HD ones.

LeeT5
Sunday 2nd April 2017, 22:31
Best thing to do is give Volvo a call in the morning and just ask them to confirm the correct part no for your car.
That way, you'll be sure to order the correct part as they do it by chassis no.

AFAIK, the parts are ALL the same on the P26 regardless of the part number. They may just be a super seeded part number but the parts are physically identical.

Sorry it's short but this is replied via my phone.

htomi
Sunday 2nd April 2017, 23:11
30683637 is what you'll need for the Spring seat. According to the dealership's parts dept, this is what Volvo using now for S60/V70/XC90 & yes it is the stronger X90 version + comes with 2 years warranty.
Get the OEM from Volvo or get the HD unit from skandix or iPD. All others are rubbish and won't last long.
I think paid €60/side, 4 wks ago at the dealership.

Volvo Strut Mount - 30714968 what we're using in our Rs. Yours is a T5, AFAIK its identical on all V70/S60s. You can get a Lemforder €50 + shipping from Germany:

https://www.autoersatzteile.de/ersatzteile-suche?keyword=30714968

Gold 'N' Brown
Sunday 2nd April 2017, 23:46
Thanks both.

As you said in your first post Lee, I was probably over thinking this. Most likely is the same part but they just changed the part number part way through the production of the V70.

As I noted above, I appreciate that cheaper parts won't last (learned that the hard way with my drop links) but they don't need to. I'm not going to fit top quality parts for the benefit of the next owner when I'll be lucky to get any more than £500 for the car as it stands, and there's the risk that I might not be able to sell it at all. This is just a "get me by" for the next few months.

Rogerb
Monday 3rd April 2017, 00:21
The mounts fit 850, Mk 1 and Mk 2 V70 Mk 1 S80 and Mk 1 XC90 as well as S60 mk1.
The XC 90 version is stronger and the others have now been super sealed to that part by Volvo . So the stronger part is the only one available from Volvo.
I have fitted several on different models.

Roger.

Gold 'N' Brown
Thursday 11th May 2017, 14:43
OK, so to bring this to conclusion...

As a few of you said, the 'earlier' parts do indeed fit without problem. So the changeover point in the chassis numbers on the ph2 V70 is simply a point at which the part numbers changed, and not a change to the physical design of the parts.

And oh what fun I had trying to get these on the cheap (Lee, bite your tongue :wink:). The bitter irony of this is that I chose the cheap option as I was supposed to flogging the V70 on in the next few months so didn't care if it lasted. For the same reason I also just fitted a cheap pattern PAS fluid tank (the common bulging leaky tank problem). Literally days after buying the parts I decided to keep the V70 as a second car for my wife, so it will be with us for another few years. I may come back and update this thread when the parts fail. See you in about 3 months then!

So the first eBay seller cancelled the order as their system showed them to be incompatible with my V70 (incorrectly). Then I ordered a set from an eBay seller called Rapid Parts UK, who far from being rapid were slow to send them out and about a week later a dubiously heavy parcel arrived containing a Renault engine mount :grumpy: They were all too keen and quick to arrange a courier to collect this the next day so it could be delivered to the right customer, but seemingly couldn't find my parts, and then I had to chase them again about a week later when I realised I hadn't received my refund. Rapid Parts indeed! :buttkick: Third time lucky I ordered a set by an aftermarket supplier called Nordic and these arrived quick enough.

Only obvious quality difference I could see between the Nordic and OE Volvo parts was on the top mount the rubber around the edge on the Nordic part is more flexible whereas the original part is rock solid. Not sure how much effect that will have as it's not the main area of stress, but obviously is an indicator of the quality in general.

LeeT5
Thursday 11th May 2017, 15:01
Only obvious quality difference I could see between the Nordic and OE Volvo parts was on the top mount the rubber around the edge on the Nordic part is more flexible whereas the original part is rock solid. Not sure how much effect that will have as it's not the main area of stress, but obviously is an indicator of the quality in general.

Are you comparing a brand NEW Nordic part to an old worn out OE part off your car?

If so, remember that rubber degrades over time and becomes more hard and brittle and so, may appear harder. Infact, this is the very real reason why they then fail in the first place.

Gold 'N' Brown
Thursday 11th May 2017, 16:12
Yes I am Lee. I did wonder if it was the age of the rubber making it that much harder. At the end of the day I don't know the answer to that, it could be partly age and partly denser and thicker rubber on the original part.