PDA

View Full Version : it wont run

weagie
Tuesday 28th March 2017, 12:18
Hi, I'm after some advice regarding my V70 2.4. Basically it wont run, Its been sitting a while so I put a fresh battery in and it initially fired but was idling really badly, like it only had 2 of the 5 cylinders firing and was vibrating something horrible but then it cut out completely and refuses to start at all now. Has anyone had a similar problem? Could it be a coil pack? Any advice would be great

Tim Williams
Tuesday 28th March 2017, 13:25
You really need a code reader. By swapping plugs, coils and injectors around you should be able to pinpoint which parts are at fault.

weagie
Tuesday 28th March 2017, 13:47
I'll give that a go. If its not the coils what should i look into? besides a litre of petrol and a match.

Dangerous Dave
Tuesday 28th March 2017, 21:51
Check there is fuel getting to/through the injectors.

LeeT5
Thursday 30th March 2017, 03:11
The reason it won't restart is probably because it flooded itself and is now borewashed.
If the engine only ran for a very short time and was stone cold and not firing on all 5, then this is highly likely.

Getting the engine to restart will be difficult, if you don't know what your doing or listening to how the engine 'sounds' on cranking. A borewashed engine sounds very different to one that is not borewashed and has full compression.

If it's been stood for a long time, then it may take a while to fill the hydraulic tappets with oil, so the car may run like a sack of spuds until they are filled and ignition timing then correct.

You may be able to get it going by listening to the engine on crank and knowing if/when it has compression. If you don't get this right in the first 15 seconds or so, you'll flood it even more, making the situation worse!

Then only way you'll get it going then, will be to remove the fuel pump fuse and try again, to get the compression back.

If that fails, then your in for the long haul, meaning Spark plugs will need to be removed, fuel pump fuse and then crank until compression regained. Then refit plugs 'Hot' (heat them up with an hot air gun....Makes a huge difference!!) Refit then prey it starts :saint:

Remember not to touch throttle (let the ECM control fuelling) and don't kill the battery or starter motor.

Having a donor car with good jump leads will improve your chances ten fold, because the engine will crank much faster, improving compression and more likely to start.

weagie
Thursday 30th March 2017, 13:10
Sadly the battery suffered a bit so thats on charge right now and once its done I'll give it another go. Many thanks for all the advice.

LeeT5
Thursday 30th March 2017, 18:12
If that's the case, you may as well pull out all the plugs and give them a clean.