PDA

View Full Version : Improving airflow

Fixiebob
Sunday 19th March 2017, 20:18
Hi all

I am hopefully picking up 1997 V70 T5 tomorrow and one of first things I'd like to do is performance exhaust air intake then remap, what are the best ones to go for please.

Rob

M-R-P
Sunday 19th March 2017, 21:33
For performance, you're better off keeping the standard airbox and filter but fitting a larger pipe between the maf and turbo. There's usually a few second hand ones about on the forums or fleabay.
Exhaust wise, a 3" downpipe with 200 cell cat, coupled to any decent catback (I'm using a standard v70r catback), it's the downpipe that makes the biggest difference.

Debating maps is a real can of worms so I'm gonna stay out of that one as I'm one of only a few people to have an Autotech map (very popular in Europe) which I personally think is superb but now impossible to get in the UK.
Just be sure to get a map from a reputable tuner and not someone who has to remove your ecu to do the work.

Edit.... 1997... Is that pre me7? Not sure but if it is, you can just swap the ecu for a pre-tuned one.

Shinsplintz 101
Sunday 19th March 2017, 21:38
The first thing you'll want to do is a full stage zero ( plenty of posts on here and other forums). Once your confident the car is running tip top with fresh fluids & and renewed ignition components then would be the time to look at performance upgrades.

Ferrita or TME seem to be the preferred performance exhausts, although there are others. Don't forget a larger downpipe and sport cat for best results. Improved exhaust manifold from later cars, japanifold, also helps. Stock paper filter is good for more BHP than you'll get from your stock turbo, so leave that.

Gearbox flush and Aux cooler for your auto box as they tend to melt with increased output.

Tim Williams is your best bet for a decent map. Although as mentioned above, pre-chipped ecu's are available - but can be a bit rough around the edges.

There's a shed load of other upgrades you can do....it's a slippery slope...and loads of folk have already trod the path before you. Google is your friend as is learning from their mistakes.

Good luck, cheers, Morgan

Ps yours should be Motronic 4.4 .....running a throttle cable, dizzy & leads vs. ME 7 with ETM & coilpacks.

M-R-P
Sunday 19th March 2017, 21:43
Old stuff was never my strong point lol

Doingitsideways
Sunday 19th March 2017, 22:37
Old stuff was never my strong point lol

Neither is ex-plod V70s, but God loves a trier :lol:

Can only echo what's already been said.
From the sounds of it, the car's not done much work over the last few years, making a stage-0 possibly even more important.
Great way to get to know your car too.