PDA

View Full Version : Quick question regarding lowering a 98' V70-R

GregStearn87
Sunday 12th March 2017, 21:34
A quick one and probably done to death but searching the forums I cannot find the answer.
Looking to lower my 98' AWD V70r and wondered if eibach lowering springs actually lower the front of the car at all due to the v70r was lower than the t5 from factory?
If not are my only options coil overs?

At the rear I plan on using dropper bolts and cutting the 2 coils from the rear springs.

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks,

Greg

don kalmar union
Monday 13th March 2017, 10:56
If you have self levelling dampers on the rear then do not fit shorter or shorten the springs.... that will seriously bugger up how those dampers work.

Also best to check thoroughly just what ride height you have at the back as Volvo did chop and change things a bit during the production of these cars.

Usefull guide to ride heights here: http://www.tme.se/e_main.htm open the 'spring set' section in the drop down menu.

Don.

GregStearn87
Monday 13th March 2017, 23:05
I actually emailed you about getting a TME spring kit today. I was strongly led to believe that changing the mounting position of the nivomats and adding lowering springs up front was the best way to lower a AWD V70, at least without spending big money on coilovers.

I want to do things right but there doesn't seem to be many options.

oblark
Tuesday 14th March 2017, 07:48
This mite help.

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=187974

GregStearn87
Tuesday 14th March 2017, 12:21
Thanks I'll give that a read latter on.

Biff
Tuesday 14th March 2017, 12:47
Fooler or drop bolts worked on mine & also on Steve d's few years back.
I didn't get any pics but I recall Steve getting some.

GregStearn87
Tuesday 14th March 2017, 20:01
Ideally this is how I want it to turn out.

GregStearn87
Tuesday 14th March 2017, 20:09
The red 850 is perfect height to me but I will probably have to go a touch higher.
I have got a price from TME for their kit which wasn't outrageous, but I feel I could achieve a similar setup for less, I could make the 'drop bolts' easily then it is just a case of getting some springs for the front.
When lowering the front of an AWD are people literally buying a set of x4 T5 springs and then discarding the rears? Sucks that you cannot just buy 2 springs for the front.

I'm not looking to track my R at all I just want it to be a fast, comfortable, low road car. (I know pigs may fly).

don kalmar union
Tuesday 14th March 2017, 20:10
I actually emailed you about getting a TME spring kit today. I was strongly led to believe that changing the mounting position of the nivomats and adding lowering springs up front was the best way to lower a AWD V70, at least without spending big money on coilovers.

I want to do things right but there doesn't seem to be many options.

Could you please resend it to don@kalmar-union.com.

don kalmar union
Tuesday 14th March 2017, 20:17
You do also need to be a bit careful that you do not drop the rear too much and interfere with the proper function of the rear suspension, with these cars as you drop the rear, the wheels effectively roll forward in the wheel arch and on further 'bump' the tyres will rub on the front lower part of the arch.

For cosmetic purposes the job will be fine but is likely, in extremis, to bugger up the correct operation of the rear suspension. The cars in fact handle better with a slight nose down attitude.

Don.

GregStearn87
Tuesday 14th March 2017, 20:34
Hi Don, resent the email.

Thanks for your advice. I am led to believe the blue car in the above picture is lowered on the TME kit with Koni front shocks. I think the rear of that car could be a touch higher, or the front a touch lower.
As a motorsport engineering student at university I fully understand the affects of what I would like to do, I just can't live with arch gap never have been able too.