PDA

View Full Version : Best Filter

GOODVIBRATIONS
Friday 9th December 2005, 11:04
What is the best Air filter u can get?

My standard 1 is lookin pretty sorry for itself lol so its time for a change, and hopefully get some more ponys to ;)

Just wondered what the general concensus was on this subject?

hamish
Friday 9th December 2005, 11:45
Hi,

We have the ITG Profilters in stock £38.30 + VAT.
Undoubtably the best as Fernando Alonso had one in his Renault this year and Matt Neal had one in his Integra plus I've got omne in my Volvo !

Regards,
Hamish.
Chip Tuning Ltd
01527 577710

GOODVIBRATIONS
Friday 9th December 2005, 11:47
what type is this? sealed?

lance
Friday 9th December 2005, 12:00
Yes there sealed and Im very happy with mine.

GOODVIBRATIONS
Friday 9th December 2005, 12:02
could u peeps add ur vote to the poll so i can get an overall jist pls..

BlackBeast
Friday 9th December 2005, 12:08

Any pics of these installed?

hamish
Friday 9th December 2005, 12:18

It's a panel filter so when installed in your Airbox, it will not look any different to standard !

Regards,
Hamish.

BlackBeast
Friday 9th December 2005, 12:37
It's a panel filter so when installed in your Airbox, it will not look any different to standard !

Regards,
Hamish.

My bad, when you said sealed i thought of a bmc cda/pipercross viper type filter.

Mrsmopp
Friday 9th December 2005, 12:44
ITG panel without a doubt

x

Goof
Friday 9th December 2005, 12:46
I'm pleased with my ITG - don't bother drilling the airbox (and let's not start THAT thread again!;)).

Al115
Friday 9th December 2005, 12:48
Cone filter makes the best noise... but only worthwhile if you box it in and feed it enough cold air.

GOODVIBRATIONS
Friday 9th December 2005, 12:50
so if my budget will allow me to get a sealed unit get that (like a sealed CDA one)

S40 T4
Friday 9th December 2005, 12:55
''We have the ITG Profilters in stock £38.30 + VAT.
Undoubtably the best as Fernando Alonso had one in his Renault this year and Matt Neal had one in his Integra plus I've got omne in my Volvo !''

Is it the same price for an s40?

BlackBeast
Friday 9th December 2005, 12:56
so if my budget will allow me to get a sealed unit get that (like a sealed CDA one)

Personally speaking, i will be getting a bmc cda, the code you need is cda-sp-09 and thats a direct fitment. They can be had brand new for around £180 OR you do a bit of research and get something close to the sp-09 specifications and you pay up to around £100.

swordy21
Friday 9th December 2005, 13:33
ITG in mine - very happy. Cleaned every 10K and turned round every 20K. Much less wheezy that the std paper ones.

Babybadger
Friday 9th December 2005, 14:06
ITG it has to be, Hamish suggested it , and boy does it work well. Its foam and only needs occasional cleaning , very easy to do. You will go through at least 3 normal filters and the ITG will still keep going. Don't waste your money on normal filters , this makes the engine breath at any revs.

Babybadger
Friday 9th December 2005, 14:07
Personally speaking, i will be getting a bmc cda, the code you need is cda-sp-09 and thats a direct fitment. They can be had brand new for around £180 OR you do a bit of research and get something close to the sp-09 specifications and you pay up to around £100.

Are you mad? ITG is a bargain!

BlackBeast
Friday 9th December 2005, 14:16
Are you mad? ITG is a bargain!

I may be mad, but I believe that anything OE can be improved upon, ITG may be a bargain but it still uses the stock airbox, the airbox and the intake system from the turbo can be improved upon to get faster spooling of the turbo, its been proved on other cars, volvos are no different, thats just my own opinion.

Please, please, please nobody take this and start an argument on the subject.

GOODVIBRATIONS
Friday 9th December 2005, 14:27
yeah pls dont start arguin all i wondered what the common opinion is on Air Filters hence i put the poll so peeps can vote..

Im a bit confused could peeps pos post up pics of these filters such as ITG, CDA ??
:worthless

BlackBeast
Friday 9th December 2005, 14:54
Im a bit confused could peeps pos post up pics of these filters such as ITG, CDA ??

http://www.volvot5.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=6310

Take a look at spesh's engine bay on that link, there you will find a bmc cda. Not sure what fraz has. All others have the standard airbox.

spesh
Friday 9th December 2005, 16:11
I put a BMC CDA on mine and somehow is is putting out 301bhp @ the wheels!!!!!!

Engineer
Friday 9th December 2005, 18:06
Hi,

Undoubtably the best as Fernando Alonso had one in his Renault this year and Matt Neal had one in his Integra plus I've got omne in my Volvo !

Regards,
Hamish.
Chip Tuning Ltd
01527 577710Is this an advert or a post as IANAL? and what's Kimi got in the McLaren? :smileypul

volvotuning
Friday 9th December 2005, 18:34
I put a BMC CDA on mine and somehow is is putting out 301bhp @ the wheels!!!!!!

We could have put the stock air box back just to see the difference between the two setups.

But we didn't, so it's all a bit irrelevant really, so my previous sentence above has just been a waste of my keyboard usage.

Besides, the best filter is a Britta.

Adam.

Engineer
Friday 9th December 2005, 18:41
Besides, the best filter is a Britta.

Adam.Are we back to water injection? LOL........................................

volvotuning
Friday 9th December 2005, 18:44
Nah, hydro-lock!

Adam.

Engineer
Friday 9th December 2005, 18:56
Nah, hydro-lock!

Adam.Isn't that a knee complaint footballers suffer from? ROTFLMFAO (told you I would be dangerous) LOL.

t5 stealth
Friday 9th December 2005, 19:16
i got k&n induction kit on mine,

Engineer
Friday 9th December 2005, 19:26
i got k&n induction kit on mine,Well established known kit mate.

siamblue
Friday 9th December 2005, 19:38
I have a ITG with twin 100mm air inlets going to the airbox,

Engineer
Friday 9th December 2005, 19:45
I have a ITG with twin 100mm air inlets going to the airbox,:daisy: :daisy: :daisy: :daisy: :daisy: :daisy: :daisy: :daisy: :daisy: :daisy: :daisy:
Just flowered it up for you buddy, that should help brighten up your 5 pot now the RICA'S gone LOL.

siamblue
Friday 9th December 2005, 19:50
:daisy: :daisy: :daisy: :daisy: :daisy: :daisy: :daisy: :daisy: :daisy: :daisy: :daisy:
Just flowered it up for you buddy, that should help brighten up your 5 pot now the RICA'S gone LOL.

Cheers Santa, :remybussi At least the turbo hose doesn't blow off now on medium boost lol,
Still don't know what to go for next though,

Back on topic,

Tried a K&N but it had to be cleaned every now and again. whereas the ITG you can just leave for i think 60k..

Tomcat
Friday 9th December 2005, 21:58
I have a K&N Panel filter, I've always used them because they're really well built and from past experience give a descent gain.

craig
Saturday 10th December 2005, 17:37
ive got an old pair of my mrs tights stretched accross the air intake by the rad and left the filter out. dont knock it til youve tried it.

Jod T5
Saturday 10th December 2005, 17:58
ive got an old pair of my mrs tights stretched accross the air intake by the rad and left the filter out. dont knock it til youve tried it.
i had this method for years on my trusty tdm 850.
yours arn't fishnets i hope :slap:
perhaps the opportunity of a little cottage industry for moppy lol.....or buttercup :bog: for that matter (are we still allowed to mention it??) :troutslap

:worthless

GOODVIBRATIONS
Tuesday 13th December 2005, 14:04
Got myself a nice spangly Ram Air one coming, all foam so should breathe well hopefully, got it through WWW.RAIDHP.CO.UK. £28.99 BARGAIN!

Part no in case anyone else wants one (521177) Also said could sort out some bulk discounts if thats any help ... What a nice man lol

:anmflower

01c70t5
Tuesday 13th December 2005, 14:19
I have a K&N Panel filter, I've always used them because they're really well built and from past experience give a descent gain.
Ditto, got mine local to you... YB Filters or something? Cheaper than an ITG too... Just got to add the stickers to the car now

:riceboy:

Babybadger
Tuesday 13th December 2005, 14:55

This is what they look like , http://www.itgairfilters.com/images/profilter/image01.jpg, its the flat one and they fit straight in. All you need to do is take them out and vacuum them at service intervals.

GOODVIBRATIONS
Tuesday 13th December 2005, 14:58
can do the same with this one i think

lance
Tuesday 13th December 2005, 15:54
I love my ITG and my drilled box loves this weather, might tape it up in summer though!

SaffronC70
Tuesday 13th December 2005, 17:37
I'll let you see what I've knocked up recently !

Chris

GOODVIBRATIONS
Friday 16th December 2005, 11:17
arrived yesterday fitted it, went out last night with it..... feels soooooooooo much better.

SaffronC70
Sunday 18th December 2005, 16:40
had a chance to take a photo today :

http://chriswhiteuk.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/Volvo/ssintake.jpg

Check it out.

Seems to be working well, with no ill effects.

And before anyone says it, yes, it is a hot air induction kit !! hehe

Chris

Engineer
Sunday 18th December 2005, 17:41

Check it out.

Chris

:riceboy:It is the winter mate wait till you try it in 30c air temps. You might want to baffle it then.

c70mel
Sunday 18th December 2005, 19:15

Check it out.

Chris

How does it sound? most important thing :band:

siamblue
Sunday 18th December 2005, 19:27
Hi Chris nice work mate, it's good to see people getting stuck in with their mods instead of just throwing a whole load of money at a car,

Just let us know how it sounds as i know you love the intake roar ;)

Gary

SaffronC70
Sunday 18th December 2005, 20:03
Sounds like Darth Vader on a cold day.

Engineer, been looking into baffling it and it's possible it's going to end up being a chicken wire and glass fibre affair !

Always Blue Peter style - but we can't find a big enough yoghurt pot.

Chris

c70mel
Sunday 18th December 2005, 20:09
sounds nice.. hehe.

Whats the cone filter you got called and where dya get it from? if you dont mind me askin.

Dont know how long you have had it on for but ive heard about getting problems with the MAF sensor or some other sensor when you start changing the standard air filter set up, are you aware about any of these possible problems?

Engineer
Sunday 18th December 2005, 20:15
Sounds like Darth Vader on a cold day.

Engineer, been looking into baffling it and it's possible it's going to end up being a chicken wire and glass fibre affair !

Always Blue Peter style - but we can't find a big enough yoghurt pot.

ChrisIMHO, AFAIK, as IANAL, I am LMAO, HTH. Chris :hilarious

SaffronC70
Sunday 18th December 2005, 20:19
Yeah I am aware of the problems.

From my playing, I have learnt, that if you want to use a cone filter, make sure that it smooths the air flow, and that there is at least a few inches of straight travel infront of the MAF grille.

Sticking a cone on the end of the MAF doesn't work so well.

Chris

Cone filter is a universal Quickshift jobbie - being made from stainless, this avoids the problem of oil damaging the MAF sensor and being very oversized, imo, lowers the force needed to draw air through the filter, if that makes sense.

Also, I get bored of not being able to take things apart, so I like to tinker.

I'd stick with the standard box and paper filter, just make sure you change it regularly.

Engineer
Sunday 18th December 2005, 20:25
IMHO, AFAIK, as IANAL, I am LMAO, HTH. Chris :hilarious
Yes or No?

c70mel
Sunday 18th December 2005, 20:28
Yeah I am aware of the problems.

From my playing, I have learnt, that if you want to use a cone filter, make sure that it smooths the air flow, and that there is at least a few inches of straight travel infront of the MAF grille.

Sticking a cone on the end of the MAF doesn't work so well.

Chris

Cone filter is a universal Quickshift jobbie - being made from stainless, this avoids the problem of oil damaging the MAF sensor and being very oversized, imo, lowers the force needed to draw air through the filter, if that makes sense.

Also, I get bored of not being able to take things apart, so I like to tinker.

I'd stick with the standard box and paper filter, just make sure you change it regularly.

Just noticed the other pic on ur webpage with a smaller cone filter in a nice diy silver piping box? Did that not work to well or u just fancied a change.

Im not looking for any performance increase, just want a decent induction sound, any suggestions. I aint got a turbo either so possibly that may make it more difficult to get a grunt from the induction side?

SaffronC70
Sunday 18th December 2005, 20:35
Thats a BSR Optiflow kit.

The turbo sucked all the oil out of that cone.

I had a new MAF fitted by VT to help cure an idle problem, but they took the old one away which I suspect to be fine.

I changed the BSR cone for an Apexi cone that directs/straightens air flow - this cured most of my problems.

Siamblue currently has the sheild.

Chris

Engineer
Sunday 18th December 2005, 20:39
Thats a BSR Optiflow kit.

The turbo sucked all the oil out of that cone.

I had a new MAF fitted by VT to help cure an idle problem, but they took the old one away which I suspect to be fine.

I changed the BSR cone for an Apexi cone that directs/straightens air flow - this cured most of my problems.

Siamblue currently has the sheild.

ChrisThat's interesting..................