PDA

View Full Version : Td04 are they all the same??

Bigsi15
Saturday 11th February 2017, 19:06
Hi guys
After discussion with a few members regarding hunting a downpipe it seems the opinion is that finding one for an angle flange will be easier than a straight one.
My question is this, are all td04 turbos the same when it comes o the hot side?? I have a 20t with a straight flange but could I swap it out for something say from a 16t from a s60t5 to gain that angled exit or do they vary in size like the compressor side??

Thanks!

martin_r_smith
Saturday 11th February 2017, 19:31
Yes.

Tim Williams
Saturday 11th February 2017, 20:31
I'm not quite sure how to answer all the possible questions, no S60 had a straight flange turbine housing.

There were two turbine housings fitted to 850 T5s, conical and straight flange. All 4.4 cars had straight flange and all ME7s had angled flanged. Google 6 and 7cm housings to see which you want.

Bigsi15
Saturday 11th February 2017, 21:41
Sorry Tim I meant an angled flange from the newer model cars, if it would be a direct replacement with the straight housing that would be very helpful. By six and 7 cm housing I assume you mean the diameter of the Exit to the exhaust downpipe?

Thanks

Tim Williams
Saturday 11th February 2017, 22:11
It still isn't clear to me. The turbine housings can be swapped on to another core. If you swap from a straight flange turbine housing to an angled flange one you will of course need a different down pipe.

No, I think you should Google 6 and 7 cm housings and then you will see.

Bigsi15
Sunday 12th February 2017, 06:28
That's it tim basically I'm looking to possibly swap the hot side housing to potentially an angled unit (I'm pretty sure my s60 T5 had an angled exhaust side) to gain the improvement and as I still need a downpipe anyway, but was wondering if I could pinch that angled side from any angle flange td04 or if it had to be specifically a 16t or 18t etc for example.

Didn't realise there were 2 different sizes though so thanks for that :) a quick Google seems to refer to the diameter of the exit of the turbo to the downpipe mountings, is that what you meant??

I'm hoping from what you guys are saying if I have it right then any td04 exhaust housing straight or angled can be exchanged onto the core and intake side but obviously changing it may mean a new downpipe due to either different size or angle??

Thanks again guys

Thanks

stribo
Sunday 12th February 2017, 09:54
That's it tim basically I'm looking to possibly swap the hot side housing to potentially an angled unit (I'm pretty sure my s60 T5 had an angled exhaust side) to gain the improvement and as I still need a downpipe anyway, but was wondering if I could pinch that angled side from any angle flange td04 or if it had to be specifically a 16t or 18t etc for example.

Didn't realise there were 2 different sizes though so thanks for that :) a quick Google seems to refer to the diameter of the exit of the turbo to the downpipe mountings, is that what you meant??

I'm hoping from what you guys are saying if I have it right then any td04 exhaust housing straight or angled can be exchanged onto the core and intake side but obviously changing it may mean a new downpipe due to either different size or angle??

Thanks again guys

Thanks

I'm afraid you don't have it right, I originally thought this, and bought a 13t just for the angle flange, but the turbine wheel is a different size, so it wouldn't fit. If the 20t has the same size turbine as a 19t then you can use an angle flange from a 16t, 18t, or 19t.

Tim Williams
Sunday 12th February 2017, 10:29
As above.

"Didn't realise there were 2 different sizes though so thanks for that a quick Google seems to refer to the diameter of the exit of the turbo to the downpipe mountings, is that what you meant??"

6 and 7 CM are the intake of the turbine housing, most people would want a 7.

Yes but as pointed out you would need a turbine housing for the same size turbine wheel as you already have, 16T and up as already said. I cannot comment on 20T compatibility with other cores as I haven't swapped them myself.

MoleT-5R
Sunday 12th February 2017, 12:22
Here's Dangerous Dave's pic of the difference between the two sizes of angled flange..
http://s28.postimg.org/8bype2q3h/IMG_20140712_220603_893.jpg
and the differences on the exhaust side between the 4 types of exhaust flange
http://www.thelostartof.net/tryingbe/td04hlturbine/IMG_4125.JPG
7cm angled flange is the way to go in my opinion, as that is what I have fitted to mine

Bigsi15
Sunday 12th February 2017, 15:00
Ah sorry tim I get you now I must have misunderstood what I read as to the other end. Also thanks for the pictures guys that's really really helpful :) I think I may measure mine and if it's the larger version I may just keep the straight flange to avoid complications and make life easier unless something drops in my lap. I'd assume the larger 7cm intake would be more benefit to the angle flange vs straight seeing as I need a downpipe anyway

Thanks again guys

Bigsi15
Sunday 12th February 2017, 15:57
Hmm annoyingly it seems mine is the smaller opening, maybe an angle flange upgrade is in order, anyone got anything ;)

Thanks

Bigsi15
Sunday 12th February 2017, 16:02
Next question (yes there are more...) what years and models used this style of housing that may also be compliant with a 20t??

Cheers guys you've been really helpful!

960kg
Sunday 12th February 2017, 19:03
This may help......

http://www.melett.com/turbo-model-results.php?VehicleMake=Volvo&VehicleModel=V70&Submit=Go

MoleT-5R
Sunday 12th February 2017, 20:01
This may help......

http://www.melett.com/turbo-model-results.php?VehicleMake=Volvo&VehicleModel=V70&Submit=Go

that is a very useful load of info on models, turbos etc, but doesn't show which are angled, straight or other on the hot side....well unless I missed something, which isn't unusual for me....:)

Tim Williams
Sunday 12th February 2017, 23:20
The one in the pictures is a 6cm, a 7cm is round on the inlet. The 7cm housings have 760 on the side. I don't know about fitting a 20T on a different housing. From what I've seen a 20T might give about 20BHP more top end than a 19T but 60-80BHP less lowdown. With suitable mods a 19T will give 340+BHP.

PNuT
Monday 13th February 2017, 03:59
I'm afraid you don't have it right, I originally thought this, and bought a 13t just for the angle flange, but the turbine wheel is a different size, so it wouldn't fit. If the 20t has the same size turbine as a 19t then you can use an angle flange from a 16t, 18t, or 19t.

Effectively he needs to make sure the letter/s after the td04 match.....

I found this out when I tried to do the same as you! I think the later phase two LPT use td04-L & the one we need is td04-HL.....