PDA

View Full Version : SUPERCHARGING T5s

TeamJHR
Saturday 28th January 2017, 16:37
Hi Guys,
I have just re registered to this forum after a few years away from Volvo power for our race car, but we are now considering building a new T5 race engine but probably with a Jag supercharger instead of the turbo, I guess this has been done before so any advice will be very gratefully recieved.
Thanks in advance.
Paul.

MoleT-5R
Saturday 28th January 2017, 16:41
Colin will be along soon, he's our supercharger expert, or have a look at his build threads http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/showthread.php?53427-Volvo-850-T10-Kompressor-(Twin-engined-Project)

claymore
Saturday 28th January 2017, 17:01
Not sure of any benefits of fitting a supercharger instead of a turbo to be honest.

TeamJHR
Sunday 29th January 2017, 09:19
The thought behind it was to hopefully give a much smoother power curve, something a little different.

What would you recommend as a good engine build for a race engine ??

kmb
Sunday 29th January 2017, 11:16
Colin would (and has) put both on at the same time :)

TeamJHR
Sunday 29th January 2017, 15:12
That could be an option for us, just need a bit of advice from you guys on here as to which base engine to use, which internal mods etc as I know we would need to uprate rods etc.

claymore
Sunday 29th January 2017, 15:49
It depends a bit on how much power you're after I suppose. what car is it going in?

TeamJHR
Sunday 29th January 2017, 17:26
It is going into an Autograss Special so no limit on power, within reason obviously, but we would like good power but torque is obviously a major bonus.
We are backed by Link ECU so we can map the engine to get the best out of it.

claymore
Sunday 29th January 2017, 17:38
Ahh, ok, so there's not a space issue then. if you want more than 400 bhp then I would put some rods in a 2.3, there are gains from using a later head as I believe it flows a little better and has thinner valve stems. I still think a supercharger would be a waste of time by itself because of the parasitic losses, a good ball bearing Garrett 3076gtx would spool very quickly. there is a lot of development involved in going compound charged, it took me about two years to get the car running as I wanted it.

TeamJHR
Sunday 29th January 2017, 18:35
Thats good to know, Which engine code 2.3 engine would you suggest to start with??

Wobbly Dave
Monday 6th February 2017, 13:47
I have a spare closed deck 2001 block which needs boring and honing. You can then fit any pistons you like. The bottom end crank ladder was repaired.