PDA

View Full Version : Insurance query... Am I being ripped off?

Redbrick
Thursday 8th December 2005, 18:46
Evening all...

Just had my renewal through for my car from Chris Knott.

11 yrs (maximum) NCB, all mods declared, protected no claims, £680 last year....

This year a whopping £805 :(

Reading further I find the renewal notice from Highway to Chris Knott. The amounts have been scribbled out but I can see it totals £640!!!!

Is the broker allowed to add what they want to the premium?

I haven't had a chance today to call them for an explanation so I'll find out in the morning.

Anyone know of any othe brokers that can give me a policy with Highway?

S60D5
Thursday 8th December 2005, 18:53
Evening all...

Just had my renewal through for my car from Chris Knott.

11 yrs (maximum) NCB, all mods declared, protected no claims, £680 last year....

This year a whopping £805 :(

Reading further I find the renewal notice from Highway to Chris Knott. The amounts have been scribbled out but I can see it totals £640!!!!

Is the broker allowed to add what they want to the premium?

I haven't had a chance today to call them for an explanation so I'll find out in the morning.

Anyone know of any othe brokers that can give me a policy with Highway?

As you're modded quite a bit it's a little different, but yeah, sounds pricey!

andy l
Thursday 8th December 2005, 19:14
i pay that m8 with 6 years ncb no mods...and im gutted

Smoochiii
Thursday 8th December 2005, 19:29
Sounds pricey to me. I have 8 yrs no claims, live in Reading and my premium with Privilege is a fraction over £450. Ok, my brick doesn't have all the mods yours does except for the Rica, but your price still seems expensive. Could just be the dodgy area you live in ??? ;)

andy l
Thursday 8th December 2005, 19:32
it is for me

Redbrick
Thursday 8th December 2005, 20:09
I know it's alot of money and I was expecting the £650- £700 mark to be quite honest but its just the cheek of Chris Knott adding £200 to the premium.

I have rung a company called aquote who are owned by Highway, they said it was a bit odd to have a broker add so much to a premium, normally moifications only add 10 to 15%.

I'll let you know what happens tomorrow.

I live in a nice area as well... :B_blite: or at least it was till I arrived lol

swordy21
Thursday 8th December 2005, 20:10
Sounds pricey to me. I have 8 yrs no claims, live in Reading and my premium with Privilege is a fraction over £450. Ok, my brick doesn't have all the mods yours does except for the Rica, but your price still seems expensive. Could just be the dodgy area you live in ??? ;)

Some RG postcodes are very cheap on insurance, even RG2 where I used to live. I now live in RG7, and that seems to be thru the floor, we are always getting preselected for this and that cheap deal.

I'm with Norwich Union Direct, £530 F/C with only 2 yrs NCD (damn Co Cars), and the wife on, oh and 3 pts with Rica.

ps Where in Reading do you live? be up for a mini meet sometime. Dont see many T5's round here normally. Only other one I see regularly lives at the Angel in Woolhampton.

Paul ABZ
Thursday 8th December 2005, 22:37
Got a shock this renewal on a car with a jump of £100 myself. The reason was "you got an introductory offer discount in year one, so you pay full price this year" bless 'em. I am now with another bunch of insurers, which is good as I have 3 sets of wheels to pay for.

Smoochiii
Friday 9th December 2005, 01:38
Some RG postcodes are very cheap on insurance, even RG2 where I used to live. I now live in RG7, and that seems to be thru the floor, we are always getting preselected for this and that cheap deal.

I'm with Norwich Union Direct, £530 F/C with only 2 yrs NCD (damn Co Cars), and the wife on, oh and 3 pts with Rica.

ps Where in Reading do you live? be up for a mini meet sometime. Dont see many T5's round here normally. Only other one I see regularly lives at the Angel in Woolhampton.

I'm in Hurst (for the next month at least), then packing my bags and moving to France - Had enough of this goddamn country.
Mini-meets eh ? Does that mean i have to wash the winter salt n crap off my car to show up ??? The dear old girl ain't used to that sorta treatment !
Sounds like a bit of a laugh tho ! Let me know if you plan to sort anything out in the not-too-distant future, i'll pop along.

shoey
Friday 9th December 2005, 03:33
i was insured with adrian flux last year, i think their underwriters are highway. they arent really brokers but can be competitive..

jross
Friday 9th December 2005, 05:17
Ah, the wonders of the US.. it costs me $800 a year, so about 400-500 pounds. That's for BOTH the 98 C70 HPT and the 96 855R, and they're aware of the R being, er, not stock. I'm pretty well covered, too...

Babybadger
Friday 9th December 2005, 09:30
I am with Highway through Adrian Flux , LHD non-EU import, Bexley Kent Postcode and it is £600 odd 7 yrs NCB, 3 pts sp30 so I would say Adrian Flux!

Redbrick
Friday 9th December 2005, 18:12
Update...

The scribbled out Highway quote was £649 with a £350 excess.

As my policy last year had a £250 excess they changed the above quote to reflect the lower excess and it rose to £805.

So for the privilege of saving £100 in the event I do have to claim they are charging me £155.

TO$$ERS.

Al115
Friday 9th December 2005, 18:17
That is quite a crap excuse...

S60D5
Friday 9th December 2005, 18:29
Ah, the wonders of the US.. it costs me $800 a year, so about 400-500 pounds. That's for BOTH the 98 C70 HPT and the 96 855R, and they're aware of the R being, er, not stock. I'm pretty well covered, too...

Hi,

Thats good. Going back a year or two to when I was 18/19, I was considering applying to do a Business course in the US rather than the UK. Everyone I asked told me auto insurance in the USA is extremely expensive!

jross
Saturday 10th December 2005, 00:32
Hi,

Thats good. Going back a year or two to when I was 18/19, I was considering applying to do a Business course in the US rather than the UK. Everyone I asked told me auto insurance in the USA is extremely expensive!

Luck of the draw? I live in a fairly rural area, so that's part of it.. my insurance when I lived down in Los Angeles/ Santa Monica was almost 3x what it is now. It's sounding like you guys have a similar situation...

pyrotechnictigger
Saturday 10th December 2005, 00:43
Isnt the broker just trying to make a living? Imagine how much ASDA pay for own brand bleach or paraceatamol? Bet SOME of their mark ups are in the 1000s of % to make up for the loss leaders to get you into the store in the first place!

S60D5
Saturday 10th December 2005, 00:43
Luck of the draw? I live in a fairly rural area, so that's part of it.. my insurance when I lived down in Los Angeles/ Santa Monica was almost 3x what it is now. It's sounding like you guys have a similar situation...

For sure!

Can you give me a couple of US Insurers that will do online quotes? I'm considering doing a further Business or Legal course after this one finishes and silly things which add up to living costs can influence where I'd want to go!

Steve36
Saturday 10th December 2005, 18:58
Hi Mate try these; www.belldirect.co.uk im 36,with only 3yrs ncb,with the wife on too for 397 per year,tpft,and my car is modded too....might be worth getting in touch with them,there site is ok too,you can get a direct quote in a couple of mins and pay your full pemium there and then,or settle it with monthly installments also..

After_Shock
Saturday 10th December 2005, 19:29
Got my renewal from Elephant this year came out at a nice £1077 (Paid £800ish Last year) Phoned up and cancelled the renewal, a few days later and phoned up sales, got a new quote without all the crap they add on, courtesy cars and extra legal cover and with the new quote came out at £643 fully comp, didnt think it was a bad saving, o.k the cars standard so looks expensive but im 21 with 3 years NCB.

Simon
Monday 12th December 2005, 14:03
I also found Adrian Flux the cheapest, but would also recommend trying Greenlight Insurance.

weasel
Monday 12th December 2005, 14:09
shop around, play one off against the other and then when you've got your best quote ring norwich union :-)

s2esc
Tuesday 13th December 2005, 00:27
Admiral was the company for me im 23 with no ncb and no points, mine is £640 a year. no mods though.

arbee
Wednesday 14th December 2005, 19:25
Mods do limit your choice a lot. Mine is £400 on the Gul at 26 with full NCB (Norwich Union). With modded cars adrian flux or performance direct have been about the cheapest I have found in my experience

weasel
Wednesday 14th December 2005, 21:53
'Mine is £400 on the Gul at 26 with full NCB'
is that third party?

arbee
Wednesday 14th December 2005, 22:03
'Mine is £400 on the Gul at 26 with full NCB'
is that third party?
Nope fully comp :) with a regular (10k) mileage limit

weasel
Wednesday 14th December 2005, 22:08
i was impressed when they reduced mine by 200 quid to 500 last year but that's very cheap indeed! :jaw:

arbee
Wednesday 14th December 2005, 22:13
yeah I thought so too, was quoted more via confused.com but went direct to norwich union it was loads cheaper. can't complain!

Redbrick
Wednesday 21st December 2005, 23:10
Just paid £638 to Adrain Flux.

Fully comp, protected no claims, business use, 5K mileage limit, £300 excess, all mods declared, like for like replacement.

Not bad I thought!

Thats it for another year then, thanks for your replies.

siamblue
Friday 6th January 2006, 11:13
Just paid £638 to Adrain Flux.

Fully comp, protected no claims, business use, 5K mileage limit, £300 excess, all mods declared, like for like replacement.

Not bad I thought!

Thats it for another year then, thanks for your replies.

Same here Redbrick just got a quote for £770 F/Comp but my post code is dreadful for insurance as it is classed as a London Bourough :pants:

mraldonnelly
Friday 6th January 2006, 11:28
Currently paying £550 FC with Adrian Flux. Not bad for a 29 year old with a Liverpool postcode with 25 year old wife as named driver. I do have max NCB though.

I'm in the process of buying another house which I'll be renovating and moving into in a few months. The new house is in a little village in Cheshire called Dunham on the Hill.

I got comparable quotes for both postcodes. When I move I'll be paying a whopping 45% less!

It's amazing the difference a postcode makes.

Regards

Andy

britten_mark
Saturday 7th January 2006, 00:35
i was insured with adrian flux last year, i think their underwriters are highway. they arent really brokers but can be competitive..

Flux "amended" my insurance quotation some weeks AFTER I took out the policy to the tune of nearly 200 quid :wtf: . So, cancel insurance and lose 30% or cough up..."it was only a quotation"

Flux were only too keen to point out that they were not brokers when I threatened to report them to the ABIB - "we are intermediaries" ie. pi$$ off if you've got a problem we make up our own rules. After my experiences I warned 2 friends not to be lured by the low premiums, they were and were both shafted in a variety of positions.

To$$ers not to be touched with a bargepole.

arbee
Saturday 7th January 2006, 07:17
Flux "amended" my insurance quotation some weeks AFTER I took out the policy to the tune of nearly 200 quid :wtf: . So, cancel insurance and lose 30% or cough up..."it was only a quotation"

Flux were only too keen to point out that they were not brokers when I threatened to report them to the ABIB - "we are intermediaries" ie. pi$$ off if you've got a problem we make up our own rules. After my experiences I warned 2 friends not to be lured by the low premiums, they were and were both shafted in a variety of positions.

To$$ers not to be touched with a bargepole.
i have used them with ok exoeriences but I have heard other horror stories. If your car is not modded I find the larger companies to offer better deals. when i changed to the volvo from my modified 53 plate astra turbo I cancelled my policy with Performance direct and went to Norwich Union. Two months later I am still waiting for my refund from performance direct! I would not use them again thats for sure!

weasel
Saturday 7th January 2006, 11:38
their website says they are a broker and are regulated by the fsa http://www.adrianflux.co.uk/

britten_mark
Saturday 7th January 2006, 20:36
their website says they are a broker and are regulated by the fsa http://www.adrianflux.co.uk/

This was some years ago. Its just a bit of advice based on some personal & friend's experiences; use it or throw it away, but don't say I didn't warn you.

I don't know what FSA stands for but I could think of a few acronyms :)

*Just had a twinge of curiosity so found out what the FSA are. Couple of clicks gave WHICH? magazines view;

We believe our fears have been confirmed because, so far, consumer interest does not appear to take priority within the FSA......There are other problems ...primarily with the protection given to information relating to commercial interests.

I think you can rely on Flux to be "regulated" by someone whose terms are not too onerous.

Vikingxl
Monday 9th January 2006, 07:27
Just paid my renewal
34,Birmingham postcode, No garage, Points, Accident,Younger wife,Protected no claims,Legal cover,Decent courtesy car,Max no claims
£745.00
But they are saying that when this accident is ruled as no fault i should get quite a bit back.

shiney
Tuesday 10th January 2006, 00:35
If anyone is thinking about insuring their car, please PM me first. Thanks.

t5tart
Tuesday 10th January 2006, 00:54
i pay 1700 a year for the bike and car both moded
with motor trade business use

covers me to drive just about anything i like

Liddo
Tuesday 10th January 2006, 08:36
Has anyone tried Volvo Owners Insurance???? or VOI. They are underwritten by Royal Sun Alliance i think and last time I had a Volvo, they were about the best and VERY professional. Based in Halifax i think

siamblue
Tuesday 10th January 2006, 12:03
Has anyone tried Volvo Owners Insurance???? or VOI. They are underwritten by Royal Sun Alliance i think and last time I had a Volvo, they were about the best and VERY professional. Based in Halifax i think

I tried them last year and they were very expensive about £500 more than my cheapest quote.

01c70t5
Tuesday 10th January 2006, 12:14
I don't know what FSA stands for but I could think of a few acronyms :)
The FSA = Financial Services Authority.

They regulate all Financial Services in the UK (including those providing insurance).

TangoDeltaSierra3
Wednesday 11th January 2006, 15:31
Just got my renewal today from Norwich Union Direct - £716.00, last year i paid £512 - WTF? Shopping around time i think.

TangoDeltaSierra3
Wednesday 11th January 2006, 16:18
Adrian Flux - £770 with whhels & suspension declared, further 20% load if i declared Rica - ££££££!

Greenlight Insurance - £599 with mods & 250xcess.

Anyone here can beat it PM me, ta.

Tiff_T5
Wednesday 11th January 2006, 16:22
Jeez,some of those prices are scary, I pay £650 for a motor trade policy,which covers me and my wife for any car,I've never insured an individual ca for years,apart from the Challenger,which was £112 f.c on a classic policy.

t5owner
Wednesday 11th January 2006, 17:11
Finally gone with Sheila`s wheels using the wife as main driver and me as secondary

£344 all in with just £50 sovs excess and thats fully comp but i aint got no mods as such

Previous insurers where churchill who just upped the premium by a couple of hundred quid reason given "theres been a lot of car crime in your area" what a load of b******* as i aint payin for others mistakes

Cheers

stuart

pzorb
Sunday 29th January 2006, 14:23
Damn! Elephant are such a bunch of c*n*s, they want to charge me £46 for a HID kit (22, tpft, 2 years ncb, 11k, student, oxford, valued at 2k)! They point blank refused a strutt brace! I asked the guy

me: "so do brighter lights cause more accidents on the road?"
idiot: "yes"
me: "so the fact that I have IAM reduces my risk by £20, but being more visible increases it by £46?"
idiot: "it causes more accidents"

:jaw:

F****** bunch of s***-faced £££££££££££*! :icon_soap

I read in the local press that a chap got pulled for driving without insurance or a licence; he got banned from driving for two months (hello, he doesn't have a licence) and fined £200. I'd have to get caught three times a year before it's cheaper to be legal. :wtf:

T5R+
Sunday 26th February 2006, 08:38
Reading the thread it appears we all have different "loves vs "hates" of the same broker/company.

My renewal from NU in the post £642, ouch, (compare with £485 last year), internet with NU ended up £473, horrible man at Customer Services did not like my approach - it may have been "why didn't you simply send me this competative price in the first place instead of wasting both yours and my time"

Nice man at Chris Knott knew "Volvos" quoted me £391 with only £100 excess (NU was £470 excess) - is it any wonder I am going to Chris Knott.

Just persist - 1.5 hours invested, for £251 saving, got to be worth it.

r07s
Sunday 26th February 2006, 09:52

Before buying mine a few weeks ago, i was quoted about £400 on renewal. I have usd APlan brokers for years - they win hands down every year.

:B_offtopi - BTW I live near Maidenhead :wave23d: so count me in for a meet...or a cheeky pint