PDA

View Full Version : S60 D5 battery replacement

edde
Thursday 26th January 2017, 02:19
Hey guys, need a quick bit of help choosing a replacement battery for the old girl as I think the original has had a few too many cold winters knackering it.

I've had a browse and apparently varta are well recommended, along with the Bosch s5. Are there any other suggestions worth looking at? Also can anyone confirm that the 019 size is correct for the D5?

Many thanks in advance!

Tim Williams
Thursday 26th January 2017, 08:47
019 is correct for a D5.

This would be idea BUT Euro obviously have a scam on again looking at the price... http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/c/Volvo_V70_2.4_2005/p/car-batteries/battery/most-popular-car-battery/019-car-batteries/?444770198&0&cc5_1001

stephenevans99
Thursday 26th January 2017, 08:53
I've just fitted a Yuasa YBX019 12V 100Ah 900A to my 04 S60 D5.....perfect fit and got a good deal from Andrew Pages £62.85+vat

LeeT5
Thursday 26th January 2017, 10:42
I'd go to Halfords, use my Trade card and get a Yuasa YBX019 BLACK with a lifetime warranty! 900amps for £127.20 inc vat.

Normal retail £159.99

jamesy12345
Thursday 26th January 2017, 11:09
Another vote here for Yuasa...although on a different car (Jap)...I like the green indicator thing to tell you all is OK, which may just be a piece of coloured plastic :)

Doingitsideways
Thursday 26th January 2017, 11:41
Another vote here for Yuasa...although on a different car (Jap)...I like the green indicator thing to tell you all is OK, which may just be a piece of coloured plastic :)

Lol

I have had them completely flat and it still been green before.

LeeT5
Thursday 26th January 2017, 11:48

It's a ball that floats up and down depending on strength of electrolyte. As it floats down, it exposes more light to the red portion of the vile, therefore you see more red.

Lol

I have had them completely flat and it still been green before.

There a bit of a gimmick and unreliable. Often the ball gets stuck.

Doingitsideways
Thursday 26th January 2017, 12:07
Best way I've always found, is to turn the key and see what happens.

Bit like turning the radio up when it makes a funny noise :lol:

Gold 'N' Brown
Thursday 26th January 2017, 14:13
019 is correct for a D5.

This would be idea BUT Euro obviously have a scam on again looking at the price... http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/c/Volvo_V70_2.4_2005/p/car-batteries/battery/most-popular-car-battery/019-car-batteries/?444770198&0&cc5_1001

Just curious Tim, what do you mean by scam (otger than the obvious inflation of price above competitors)? Is it the fact that if you register an account they have constant 30% off sales, every single day, that they tout as "flash sales"? Or what I call "the DFS effect".

Tim Williams
Thursday 26th January 2017, 14:18
There a bit of a gimmick and unreliable. Often the ball gets stuck.

Don't go "at it" like a bull in a China shop then:hidesbehi

LeeT5
Thursday 26th January 2017, 15:52
Just curious Tim, what do you mean by scam (otger than the obvious inflation of price above competitors)? Is it the fact that if you register an account they have constant 30% off sales, every single day, that they tout as "flash sales"? Or what I call "the DFS effect".

I can't stand walking into ECP's. There just a bunch of salesmen that are just trying to sell you something.
In my local branch, you should hear how rude they are to customers on the phone. They remind me of Estate agents.

960kg
Thursday 26th January 2017, 15:52
Hey guys, need a quick bit of help choosing a replacement battery for the old girl as I think the original has had a few too many cold winters knackering it.

I've had a browse and apparently varta are well recommended, along with the Bosch s5. Are there any other suggestions worth looking at? Also can anyone confirm that the 019 size is correct for the D5?

Many thanks in advance!

Varta is what Mercedes Benz use for their motors as standard.

The battery on mine was perfect with no problems at all but being auto and ECU for engine and box decided that 10years old was enough for any battery and so replaced it with the same.

OK, so i didn`t fit it and was included for £140 but i could not tell the difference between the old and the new so they must be good.....:wink:

Just for the record when owning my Volvo`s over the years Halfords have had hundreds of pounds off me for battery`s most are really crap and don`t last that long compared with major brands!

LeeT5
Thursday 26th January 2017, 15:53
Don't go "at it" like a bull in a China shop then:hidesbehi

Nah...ya lost me there Tim? :confused: Completely went over my head.

jamesy12345
Thursday 26th January 2017, 16:02
I can't stand walking into ECP's. There just a bunch of salesmen that are just trying to sell you something.
In my local branch, you should hear how rude they are to customers on the phone. They remind me of Estate agents.

They are certainly a rip off...was 210 quid only 'only' 190...

"Lowest UK prices" my arse...that statement doesn't appear in the ad btw. A couple of seconds on Google comes up with 105 quid.

https://www.tayna.co.uk/S5-013-Bosch-Car-Battery-Type-019-S5013-P9702.html

I've always avoided ECP ever since* they tried to sell me a Clio radiator for a mk2 Renault 5 I owned as a spotty teenager

*last week

Harvey
Thursday 26th January 2017, 20:47
When I changed mine I fitted a Varta silver I think it was £100 all in. Never had a problem with it .

https://www.tayna.co.uk/Type-019-Varta-Silver-Dynamic-Car-Battery-P3127.html

For £180 you could get a battery with a volvo sticker on it that what the main dealer charges

http://i1168.photobucket.com/albums/r499/harveysr/Mobile%20Uploads/2014-12/20141218_140847_zpsqdcdsreg.jpg (http://s1168.photobucket.com/user/harveysr/media/Mobile%20Uploads/2014-12/20141218_140847_zpsqdcdsreg.jpg.html)

edde
Thursday 26th January 2017, 22:01
Thanks for the advice and general insight into ecp, rebadged batteries and balls getting stuck.

I'll pull the trigger on the varta one from Tanya me thinks, seems good value compared to the other options.

edde
Tuesday 31st January 2017, 09:01
Well it was safe to say that the old battery was on its last legs, leaking fluids and what not but considering it was the original I think it held up well for 14 years.

The service from Tanya was great, well packaged and prompt delivery so I'd happily recommend.

Thanks once again :-)

htomi
Wednesday 1st February 2017, 13:03
When I changed mine I fitted a Varta silver I think it was £100 all in. Never had a problem with it .

https://www.tayna.co.uk/Type-019-Varta-Silver-Dynamic-Car-Battery-P3127.html

For £180 you could get a battery with a volvo sticker on it that what the main dealer charges

http://i1168.photobucket.com/albums/r499/harveysr/Mobile%20Uploads/2014-12/20141218_140847_zpsqdcdsreg.jpg (http://s1168.photobucket.com/user/harveysr/media/Mobile%20Uploads/2014-12/20141218_140847_zpsqdcdsreg.jpg.html)

Apologies to hijack this thread.

Harvey,
This H3 Varta seems to be bigger in size than the Volvo one I have in my R ( at least based on the pic).
Just wondering if there is a difference between the battery size (dimensions) between the 04 Rs and the facelift 05 and onward models?
Based on the Varta catalogue: Silver Dynamic 563 400 061 or the Blue Dynamic 560 408 054 is the recommended for my 04 R.

edde
Wednesday 1st February 2017, 13:12
I do believe I stumbled across info that stated how petrol models on the s60/v70 used smaller batteries than the diesels, but that the larger 019 batteries can be fitted without incident.

Harvey
Wednesday 1st February 2017, 19:44
I do believe I stumbled across info that stated how petrol models on the s60/v70 used smaller batteries than the diesels, but that the larger 019 batteries can be fitted without incident.

The original Volvo battery was a 019 size fitted in my car from new, my old S60R 2005 year was the same also.

http://i1168.photobucket.com/albums/r499/harveysr/Mobile%20Uploads/2014-11/20141109_144859_zpsoajed7yv.jpg (http://s1168.photobucket.com/user/harveysr/media/Mobile%20Uploads/2014-11/20141109_144859_zpsoajed7yv.jpg.html)

Yes you can fit a smaller one as the boot floor has two captive nuts installed so it's one for the smaller battery or use the second one for the larger size.

Last year I did price one up from Volvo and they said the larger one was for a diesel engine cars but the parts guy did say most of the petrol car seem to have the largest one fitted.

htomi
Thursday 2nd February 2017, 10:10
Thanks for the clarification Harvey!

Gold 'N' Brown
Thursday 11th May 2017, 13:45
Just thought I'd add this info in case it turns up in any future searches and might help someone (EDIT: help owners of petrol variants anyway. I think the thread makes it quite clear that the 019 is required for diesels).

On my V70 T5 you can actually fit 3 different sizes of battery (I believe only two were mentioned in previous replies), as denoted by the 3 different bolt holes when you remove the bottom clamp. The sizes are (from smallest to largest) 027, 096 and 019.

Mine had the smallest 027. I'm assuming it's the original as it's Volvo branded and no sign in any of the previous owner's invoices for a battery. So that makes it 16.5 years old, and the car has had many years where it's only been used for short occasional journeys, not to mention I've run it flat on at least 3 instances. I think that's pretty damn impressive! It's not totally dead yet, it'll charge OK but it slowly drops to around 11.5v with the ign off. And it's not failed to start, even over this winter, in spite of this, though you can hear that it's a little slower to turn over (I should also point out that this isn't a recent decline in performance either. I reckon it's been like this for over a year as I kept noticing when I left the ign on but engine off it would popup the Low Voltage warning on the dash after about 5 mins. So even more impressive that's lasted so long).

I've just popped a spare 096 in that I've had kicking about from a previous car, as it still holds charge so I can drop the new battery requirement down my list of priorities for now. There's not a huge difference in size between 027 and 096. Comparing like for like batteries on the Tayna website I think the 096 is probably a good compromise on a petrol as it's not a big step up in price and gives the extra CCA and Ah for a bit of peace of mind. An 019 is significantly more expensive with the extra oomph to go with it. Obviously if that's what the diesels came with then go with that, but on my T5 it's overkill since the smallest 027 has been fine all these years.

LeeT5
Thursday 11th May 2017, 14:54
Just thought I'd add this info in case it turns up in any future searches and might help someone (EDIT: help owners of petrol variants anyway. I think the thread makes it quite clear that the 019 is required for diesels).

On my V70 T5 you can actually fit 3 different sizes of battery (I believe only two were mentioned in previous replies), as denoted by the 3 different bolt holes when you remove the bottom clamp. The sizes are (from smallest to largest) 027, 096 and 019.

Mine had the smallest 027. I'm assuming it's the original as it's Volvo branded and no sign in any of the previous owner's invoices for a battery. So that makes it 16.5 years old, and the car has had many years where it's only been used for short occasional journeys, not to mention I've run it flat on at least 3 instances. I think that's pretty damn impressive! It's not totally dead yet, it'll charge OK but it slowly drops to around 11.5v with the ign off. And it's not failed to start, even over this winter, in spite of this, though you can hear that it's a little slower to turn over (I should also point out that this isn't a recent decline in performance either. I reckon it's been like this for over a year as I kept noticing when I left the ign on but engine off it would popup the Low Voltage warning on the dash after about 5 mins. So even more impressive that's lasted so long).

I've just popped a spare 096 in that I've had kicking about from a previous car, as it still holds charge so I can drop the new battery requirement down my list of priorities for now. There's not a huge difference in size between 027 and 096. Comparing like for like batteries on the Tayna website I think the 096 is probably a good compromise on a petrol as it's not a big step up in price and gives the extra CCA and Ah for a bit of peace of mind. An 019 is significantly more expensive with the extra oomph to go with it. Obviously if that's what the diesels came with then go with that, but on my T5 it's overkill since the smallest 027 has been fine all these years.

It's a good point you make as my R originally had an 027 Volvo battery fitted, which from memory was around the 520CCA mark? Anyway, that came to the end of it's life 4 years ago so I've since fitted a Bosch Silver 096 (has a 5 year warranty) and I believe is about 680CCA. 4 years on and it's doing well, though the biggest difference I had recently was when I had a new starter motor fitted. My car had always cranked a little slower than most but always started and I new the starter would eventually fail. Once Volvo fitted the new one recently the difference in cranking speed was significant! Twice as fast and starts the car with ease.

I also think an 019 battery is overkill but on the R models and T5 SE models (which have many consumers) I believe, of the two batteries 096 and 019, the 019 is the better and will be my next choice of battery.

What I will be doing is fitting an 019 AGM (probably the most powerful you can fit in an R or diesel V70) as I can get these very cheaply. :wink: This is complete overkill on a grand scale but so is a Lamborghini Aventador or Porsche 911 GT3 when you only need it to drive to work and back. :rotfl:

http://www.yuasa.co.uk/ybx9019.html

TedBovis
Thursday 11th May 2017, 16:43
As it would happen if fitted a 019 Varta silver into my 2003 R last week which was £107 Inc delivery from absolute battery online. I was having all sorts of engine and performance related issues with the old one.
I also can be quite hard on a battery with using a laptop plugged into the car and the Varta didn't let me down in the last car so I went for the same again.
Agreed there are cheaper options though.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk