PDA

View Full Version : Dash camera hardwiring options??

chadders
Friday 30th December 2016, 18:15
OK so Santa bought me a Nextbase 312GW which while I await my hardwire kit is connected to the rear passenger 12v socket in the centre console. This seems a good option. I can easily hide the wiring under the roof lining and tuck it behind the the rubber trim on the door pillars.

I originally took it to the power socket in the boot but thats permanent & I didn't want to have to keep turning the camera on and off or risk draining the battery.
Can anyone suggest a fuse to piggyback off? I'll use the fuses under the glovebox. It seems box A fuse 22 which is the centre console 12v sockets.

Santa
Friday 30th December 2016, 20:19
Cig lighter fuse will probably be the one. Not sure which one that is on the P3's but doesn't the fuse flap have a diagram on it?

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

Blackdog
Saturday 31st December 2016, 08:59
You can get a hardwire kit for the BlackVue cameras that works from a permanent live that monitors battery voltage and cuts off when the voltage reduces to a preset level. This allows you to take advantage of "parking mode" if your camera has one.

ShadeTek
Sunday 25th March 2018, 13:41
The only trouble with wiring your dashcam to a lighter socket is in the event of an accident the power will be cut of to the socket if the airbags deploy and switch off your camera, I have seen a few dashcams on youtube do this. What I was wanting was a power supply to sit between the lighter socket and the camera and not use the car battery. The cellphone battery packs that are available do not charge and supply at the same time for some reason which would be ideal if they did as they have a massive capacity. An alleged 50 amp battery pack I have uses 28% over 9 hours but it takes 4 hours to recharge which is shorter than my journey home and I would have to take it in the house to recharge every 3 days. I have had a dashcam for over a year now and had it connected to the front power socket. The only trouble with wiring your dashcam to a lighter socket is in the event of an accident the power will be cut of to the socket if the airbags deploy and switch off your camera as the ignition is cut. I have seen a few dashcams on youtube do this and you might miss some crucial incriminating eveidence that will clear you of any wrong doing. What I was wanting was a power supply to sit between the lighter socket and the camera and not use the car battery. The cellphone battery packs that are available do not charge and supply at the same time for some reason which would be ideal if they did as they have a massive capacity. An alleged 50 amp battery pack I have, uses 28% over 9 hours but it takes 4 hours to recharge which is shorter than my journey home and I would have to take it in the house to recharge every 3 days.

There are dedicated "dashcam" batteries that will charge and discharge at the same time, but they are VERY pricey for what they are. As a cheap alternative I use a USB UPS intended for household routers that will keep the router supplied with 12vdc or 5vdc via a USB socket. I have found the battery lasts 7.5 hours after parking which isn't quite enough for my working day using my DDPAI mini2 dashcam. The BIG advantage is I can also charge and discharge at the same time! If I want the maximum runnig time from the battery I still have to take it in to charge in the house btw, so not ideal yet. May be a solar charger attached to it? Available here:-

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Uninterrupted-7800mah-11-13Vdc-Wireless-Peripherals-GM312/dp/B075QZQSS1/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1521981178&sr=1-3&keywords=usb+ups

MoleT-5R
Sunday 25th March 2018, 14:01
OK so Santa bought me a Nextbase 312GW which while I await my hardwire kit is connected to the rear passenger 12v socket in the centre console. This seems a good option. I can easily hide the wiring under the roof lining and tuck it behind the the rubber trim on the door pillars.

I originally took it to the power socket in the boot but thats permanent & I didn't want to have to keep turning the camera on and off or risk draining the battery.
Can anyone suggest a fuse to piggyback off? I'll use the fuses under the glovebox. It seems box A fuse 22 which is the centre console 12v sockets.

trouble with piggy-backing off of a fuse is that they are all live and then switched later in the circuit....did this myself in the xc for the dashcam supply and guess what it stayed on perminately, it is now plugged into a usb supply that is piggy-back off of the lighter sockect wiring so comes on with the ignition.

hillmangt
Sunday 25th March 2018, 15:30
My dashcam is plugged into the rear seat cigar lighter which comes on and off with the ignition. If the power is cut due to an accident then the camera should continue on its own power surely. If not they have a design flaw.

Kymru
Tuesday 17th July 2018, 16:13
Well this answered my question, I've had the nextbase 512gw for over a year, I got around to buying a hard wire kit and installed it earlier, to my surprise it didn't turn off when the ignition was turned off like it did with the cigarette/accessories plug

Surely there must be a fuse in the V50 that shuts off with the ignition

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk