PDA

View Full Version : volvo 940 obdll diagnostics/not starting

wiganer31
Friday 23rd December 2016, 02:09
i parked my 940 up the other night (seemed to be running fine) came to it the day after and it will not start, it try's to fire abit and sometimes seems like its almost running on 1 cylinder, i have tryed everything i can think of but no luck. want to plug it into the diagnostics but i believe you cannot do it with a normal scanner? i believe it has to be a certain volvo one? just wondered if anyone can tell me exactly what i need to buy? or send me links to what i need? or if anyone has any ideas why it wont run?

cheers

barkster1971
Saturday 7th January 2017, 18:09
You can get a Delphi ds150 and that works, or you can build one for about £30 that gives you the flashing led codes. Check the crank sensor the lead can get knackered very easily.

Dangerous Dave
Saturday 7th January 2017, 18:44
i parked my 940 up the other night (seemed to be running fine) came to it the day after and it will not start, it try's to fire abit and sometimes seems like its almost running on 1 cylinder, i have tryed everything i can think of but no luck. want to plug it into the diagnostics but i believe you cannot do it with a normal scanner? i believe it has to be a certain volvo one? just wondered if anyone can tell me exactly what i need to buy? or send me links to what i need? or if anyone has any ideas why it wont run?

cheers
That happened with my brothers 940, just ran really rough and the exhaust reeked of fuel. We changed lots of sensors, the ecu, injectors, all to no avail, in the end they had to get rid of it as they were due to move house.

One thing that came to me the other day though (quite randomly) was we never checked the timing.

Anyway as has been said you can build the LED tester for pence (as I believe the diagnostics socket was just moved into the cabin at some point but still used the same ecu and diagnostics just the early cars had a test socket under the bonnet with an LED built in)
http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=98903

You don't need to get a connector for the obd socket like in the thread above, a smallish gauge wire just pushes into the pin holes.