PDA

View Full Version : Polybushing the C70

Tee5alive
Thursday 8th December 2016, 19:55
Hi folks

Can someone point me at any posts that must have gone up before about rebushing the C70 please? Over winter i would like to start the overhaul of my tired car, rebushing, tuning, remap etc to get her TIGHT for the summer instead of all sloppy!

She already goes like an SR71 but gets a bit scary on bendy bits! But she needs an overhaul now giving me a chance maybe to strip and rebuild the engine etc. The old girl is a little loose in her joints so rebush time is here.

Wobbly Dave
Saturday 10th December 2016, 23:22
sadly no poly bush option for front lower arms AFAIK - plus the notion of trying to make a cabbie "tight" is some what futile, given the considerable skuttle shake.

Tee5alive
Sunday 11th December 2016, 12:48
sadly no poly bush option for front lower arms AFAIK - plus the notion of trying to make a cabbie "tight" is some what futile, given the considerable skuttle shake.

Hmmm oh dear, ok thanks Dave, looks like a full mod needed then with a welded roll cage to stiffen it lol.

Doingitsideways
Sunday 11th December 2016, 13:46
Roll cage on a ragtop! :lol:

If I was trying to tighen up a convertible , I'd look at a straighter version of the front strut brace, made of something more manly than the alloy of the Volvo jobbie.
The Volvo item helps, but there is still a lot of flex there.

Next up, a rear tow bar kit is supposed to tighten things up a lot at the back, closely followed by some sort of rear strut brace, not sure if the ones for the S/V70s could be persuaded to fit.

Then I'd take the big, long chassis braces and copy them in bigger section steel.

All these should make it reasonably stiff.

stribo
Sunday 11th December 2016, 18:33
Roll cage on a ragtop! :lol:

If I was trying to tighen up a convertible , I'd look at a straighter version of the front strut brace, made of something more manly than the alloy of the Volvo jobbie.
The Volvo item helps, but there is still a lot of flex there.

Next up, a rear tow bar kit is supposed to tighten things up a lot at the back, closely followed by some sort of rear strut brace, not sure if the ones for the S/V70s could be persuaded to fit.

Then I'd take the big, long chassis braces and copy them in bigger section steel.

All these should make it reasonably stiff.

Or just buy a coupe. ;)

Wobbly Dave
Sunday 11th December 2016, 21:27
Personally I would embrace the weaknesses in the handling and just enjoy the top down motoring. I wouldn't try to stiffen anything. I appreciate the C70 shape which is why I have both. If you really want a better handling cabbie then buy the CC - though I did find the steering is a little lifeless.

Doingitsideways
Sunday 11th December 2016, 22:24
In which, Dave?

Christ, the steering is numb in the P80s, surely it can't be any worse in the Focus based CC?

Wobbly Dave
Sunday 11th December 2016, 23:56
The chassis is better in the Focus based CC IMHO but lacked any steering feedback - not something I felt was lacking in my coupe.

The weakness was the lack of stiffness in the chassis of the ragtop due to the lack of a solid roof. And while you can combat some of it with a strut brace and possibly adding more weight with the tow bar thing - I would say that the effectiveness is limited