PDA

View Full Version : Splitting the front struts what do i need?

siamblue
Wednesday 7th December 2005, 22:17
Hi Guys i am going to split the front struts tomorrow, i have a pair already off the car, and i am going to rebuild them,
Do i need any special tools? I know i need spring compressors, But is it a case of just undoing the top mount nut?

Gary

Wobbly Dave
Thursday 8th December 2005, 02:04
Mind yer fingers!!

Redbrick
Thursday 8th December 2005, 08:46
Apart from watching your fingers you'll need one of those deep ring spanners to get the top nut off. You need a spanner as you have to hold the piston still as you unwind the nut.

Straker
Thursday 8th December 2005, 12:16
Just be carefull. Its an easy job as long as those spring compressors hold. The guys in the workshop down here tand to put those ratchet webbing straps round the springs as an extra precaution. Having said that i have never seen a spring compressor let go but you have been warned.

Depending on the set-up of the strutts you may need to get you camber re-adjusted after refitting.

siamblue
Thursday 8th December 2005, 13:35
Cheers lads for your replies, managed to get them split, Haynes says " you need 3 special tools " :slap: all you need is a 19mm ring spanner and a pair of moleys to hold the end of the insert shaft.
Split them down and the shocks are well worn, so i will need to replace the inserts top mounts feel and sound ok,

Gary

Wobbly Dave
Thursday 8th December 2005, 13:56
I have some top mounts you can buy?

siamblue
Thursday 8th December 2005, 18:05
Are your shocks sold Wobbly? how much for the top mounts ? as mine seem to be ok but a little rusty on the inside of the top plate..

JUDGENINJA
Thursday 8th December 2005, 23:52
I had all the tools in my car on Saturday...you could have borrowed them...
There very handy and speed the job up loads...15 mins instead of 1.5 hours

Prices -
999 5468 £15.40
999 5467 £25.60
999 5469 £13.60
all plus VAT

unless you get a discount somewhere...

siamblue
Friday 9th December 2005, 00:43
Cheers Judge, yes did seem to take 1.5 hours lol...

Gary

Engineer
Friday 9th December 2005, 17:22
Cheers Judge, yes did seem to take 1.5 hours lol...

GarySanta's Elves are not amused mate! ;)