PDA

View Full Version : Storing an 850 T5.

S60D5
Wednesday 7th December 2005, 16:37
If I were to say, store an 850 T5 for any length of time (up to 4/5 months without use) multiple times (ie, only maybe 2 months usage per year), what are the reccomended things to do? Car would be garaged but the garage is not heated, temp rating from -15c to +40c

Mrsmopp
Wednesday 7th December 2005, 16:38
Sounds like you have a plan brewing........?

x

S60D5
Wednesday 7th December 2005, 16:44
Sounds like you have a plan brewing........?

x

;) :B_steerin

Mrsmopp
Wednesday 7th December 2005, 16:50
Whisper it to me I wont tell anyone LOL

x

spesh
Wednesday 7th December 2005, 16:53
Car would be fine in -15 to plus 40, as londas u had good coolant/anti freeze, volvo one is pretty good and everything was in good working order, should be o probs at all, disconnect battery as well.

Mrsmopp
Wednesday 7th December 2005, 16:54
as londas u had good coolant/anti freeze.

Whats a londas? :haha: LOL

x

S60D5
Wednesday 7th December 2005, 16:55
Car would be fine in -15 to plus 40, as londas u had good coolant/anti freeze, volvo one is pretty good and everything was in good working order, should be o probs at all, disconnect battery as well.

Yeah.. I had the 850 down to -18c this year all fine! I'm just giving an indication of the storage type... ie it won't be kept in a carpeted thermostatically controlled garage all year round ;)

jp850R
Wednesday 7th December 2005, 17:31
Just a couple of things i can think of, leave hand brake off (chock the wheels of course)and if its auto leave in neutral, and take negative off battery, (is this the sort of thing u mean?)

dicky b t5
Wednesday 7th December 2005, 17:31
I heard you should keep them up on axle stands, to take the wait off the tyres sitting in the same place....! Does that make sense..lol..
Oh you know what i mean..... :)

Martinr
Wednesday 7th December 2005, 17:47
Check this

http://www.volvot5.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=2597

Also to get down to -15C indoors it would be bloody parky outside. Where are you planning to do this as I don't see these temperatures occurring here in the UK.

S60D5
Wednesday 7th December 2005, 17:52
Check this

http://www.volvot5.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=2597

Also to get down to -15C indoors it would be bloody parky outside. Where are you planning to do this as I don't see these temperatures occurring here in the UK.

Quite correct, not in the UK! :)

gazjacko
Wednesday 7th December 2005, 21:35
Air-Con seals will start to leak and you'll have to re-gas. I would also consider easing the pads from the discs and give them a thin coat of something to stop corrosion (clean off before you re-use!!!) as the only other problem I had after laying up was a vibration from the discs caused by the pad rusting to the disc when laid up. New oil, filter and antifreeze before you lay up may also prevent 'gunking up'.
PS why are you keeping it in cold storage? it's a Volvo it won't go off!

spesh
Wednesday 7th December 2005, 21:42
Whats a londas? :haha: LOL

x

Its welsh for dam you for being so picky!!!!! lol :)

al c
Thursday 8th December 2005, 08:10
If you look at the Frost site, car restoration place, you'll see moisture absorbing spark plug replacements. You would fit these in place of your plugs and this would prevent any surface etching of the bore that could occur due to condensation inside the engine.

If you buy moisture absorbing bags, like you find in electronics, you'll also prevent the interior going mouldy.

Both above help me store 1965 era cars outside thro' the Scottish winter no problem.

Hope this helps

S60D5
Thursday 8th December 2005, 09:53
If you look at the Frost site, car restoration place, you'll see moisture absorbing spark plug replacements. You would fit these in place of your plugs and this would prevent any surface etching of the bore that could occur due to condensation inside the engine.

If you buy moisture absorbing bags, like you find in electronics, you'll also prevent the interior going mouldy.

Both above help me store 1965 era cars outside thro' the Scottish winter no problem.

Hope this helps

Cheers...

Anyone used those huge bags where you drive the car into them, then vacuum all the air out of?

al c
Thursday 8th December 2005, 10:39
Do you mean a "carcoon"?

They dehumidify the air in the tent thingy as opposed to removing it.

Probably a better way of doing it rather than trying to pull plastic down onto your pristine paintwork!

I know a couple of guys who use them on their bikes and rate them highly, as long as it's inside a shed/garage. They don't seem to do very well in the high winds. Bit big too chase down a field!

Has anyone mentioned draining petrol as it crystallises if left too long? It leaves a nasty residue it your lines which can affect the injectors, bitter personal experience here!

There's also a good product ACF 50 that we use on machines at work. We store these things 1500M underwater for months and get no rust at all on bare stell that has been treated with this stuff. You spray it on and away it goes.

I'll stop waffling now.

Martinr
Thursday 8th December 2005, 11:07
Do you mean a "carcoon"?

They dehumidify the air in the tent thingy as opposed to removing it.

Don't these need some source of power to keep them running? I have a cottage abroad and the one problem I have found with leaving the property for long periods is that the fire risk can increase if the power is left on. Check insurance.

Has anyone mentioned draining petrol as it crystallises if left too long? It leaves a nasty residue it your lines which can affect the injectors, bitter personal experience here!.

Me too but this takes quite a while so shouldn't be an issue

There's also a good product ACF 50 that we use on machines at work. We store these things 1500M underwater for months and get no rust at all on bare stell that has been treated with this stuff.

:wtf: 1500 metres underwater. What are you storing :)

al c
Thursday 8th December 2005, 12:41
You're correct about the power supply. Didn't think of that! You could use some of the water adsorbing equipment that is available inside the plastic bag that contains the car.

I suppose if the temperature is going to be that low the evap rate will reduce enough to remove the risk of lumps in your petrol

Machines for pre commisioning subsea oil and gas pipelines. We end up using a lot of anti corrosion stuff trying to keep them working correctly!

dan_burdock
Thursday 8th December 2005, 13:57

Hope this helps

Frost also do a fuel preservative, I have been using in my Beetle for five years and it works.

nobananas
Saturday 10th December 2005, 23:21
If your only talking 4-5 months then I wouldn't worry too much. Some of my old motors have been in storage for 2-3 years before I started using them again without any real ill effects. (although my Honda's been away for about 11 years so that may require some attention now !)