PDA

View Full Version : Ported 2.3 T5 head, or stock 2.4 T5 - what would you choose?

Nickallen1984
Tuesday 25th October 2016, 08:24
I've got a weird one, I've got a 2.4 T5 bottom end with a 2.3 ported head (put together by shem a few years ago). It's going into a kit car, but before I do, I do have a spare 2.4 T5 head. What would you do:

1. Keep the 2.3 ported head (single VVT)
2. Switch for the 2.4 twin VVT

I'm going to be taking the head off regardless to put forged rods in there.

The difference between the 2.4 and the 2.3 does seem considerable in terms of stock tune-ability but is this a down to the twin vvt? or is it something else?

M-R-P
Tuesday 25th October 2016, 11:44
It's the boosty k24 blower that makes the most difference on the 2.4 lump.
If you're planning on keeping the vvt working, then the 2.4 head would be better but if you're just locking the vvt, then a ported 2.3 head will save you the bother of faffing about with the 2.4 head.

Nickallen1984
Tuesday 25th October 2016, 14:18
That makes a lot of sense - I'm planning to (at the moment) use an emerald ECU and keep the VVT, but if the dual VVT doesn't make a huge amount of difference then I might just stick with the 2.3

(then in all likelihood want to change it at a later date!)

I'm putting a Hahn Super 20G on it so may even keep the stock rods as the boost comes on a little later.

Doingitsideways
Tuesday 25th October 2016, 14:53
That makes a lot of sense - I'm planning to (at the moment) use an emerald ECU and keep the VVT, but if the dual VVT doesn't make a huge amount of difference then I might just stick with the 2.3

I'm putting a Hahn Super 20G on it so may even keep the stock rods as the boost comes on a little later.

Like when it takes off?!

Peas 'n' rice, that's gonna move in a kit car! :)

Nickallen1984
Tuesday 25th October 2016, 19:57
That's the plan