PDA

View Full Version : How strong is the 5spd auto?

Doingitsideways
Sunday 16th October 2016, 00:16
As above really.

Just wandering how strong the 5 speeder is compared to the old 4spd.

The 4spd has proved pretty bulletproof in the S70, but the C70 has the newer 'box, so wandering if it's likely to shat itself immediately if I hit it with the tuning stick in future.

Tim Williams
Sunday 16th October 2016, 07:45
They cope fine with increases in torque BUT not lack of oil changes. If it's slow and dim witted in gear changes it will improve with a flush and reset. If it seems to drop into neutral when slowing and it changes from 3rd to 2nd then it's knackered.

Doingitsideways
Sunday 16th October 2016, 08:29
Cheers Tim :)

Ettienne
Sunday 16th October 2016, 14:59
I've known plenty of 5sp's fail (serviced) and seen rebuilt ones fail also after a short time.

Servicing as Tim says help a lot, but I stick with the 6sp autos as they are more robust and used in the polestar and have the pretty much bullet proof angle gear and collar, my angle gear wasn't serviced until 142k and still on Original collar.

Volvo only used the 5sp awd auto for 2/3 years where as the 6sp was used for over 10years

LiamT4
Sunday 16th October 2016, 19:10
If we're talking about the 2wd 5spd auto, i'l tell you what my garage told me.
The early geartronics had a lot of issues but once past 2003 they got much more reliable, especially on the non T5 cars. In fact thay could only remember having issues with one, non t5, car and that was a d5 that had done huge miles.
If looked after they should be ok for light tuning, but even good ones are (imo) dumb gearboxes. I think it is because it was volvos first attempt at an "adaptive" gearbox, it's just so slow at knowing which "mode" you want the car to be in.

Ettienne
Sunday 16th October 2016, 19:25
If we're talking about the 2wd 5spd auto, i'l tell you what my garage told me.
The early geartronics had a lot of issues but once past 2003 they got much more reliable, especially on the non T5 cars. In fact thay could only remember having issues with one, non t5, car and that was a d5 that had done huge miles.
If looked after they should be ok for light tuning, but even good ones are (imo) dumb gearboxes. I think it is because it was volvos first attempt at an "adaptive" gearbox, it's just so slow at knowing which "mode" you want the car to be in.

2wd maybe be more long lived with less force going through them, but mine are all awd (well 3 of them) cars and I like an auto as a daily, so stuck with the hardy 6sp for above reasons.

I know a chap who went through 3 5sp auto in just over 10k (two were newly rebuilt updated boxes) again awd though.

LiamT4
Sunday 16th October 2016, 20:02
2wd maybe be more long lived with less force going through them, but mine are all awd (well 3 of them) cars and I like an auto as a daily, so stuck with the hardy 6sp for above reasons.

I know a chap who went through 3 5sp auto in just over 10k (two were newly rebuilt updated boxes) again awd though.

It's the combination of power and traction. Because they have so much more grip at low speeds, it puts more strain on the drive/transmission. If it's a car with decent power and a weak gearbox, it will eventually cause issues.

Tim Williams
Sunday 16th October 2016, 20:35
Ironically when pushed hard the AWD Volvos have less traction than a FWD with an LSD, they don't spin the wheels easily due to applying the brakes��. This is easy to tell if you drive one with traction control off. An ATB diff in the front is a massive help as there is less need to apply the brakes when you want to accelerate. You can tell the brakes are being heavily applied to the front by how poor they are at getting off the line quickly.

Fitting an ATB in the front gives a bigger improvement in getting off the line than any other mod I've tried.

Slight off topic, Liam was about right.

Ettienne
Sunday 16th October 2016, 21:59
Ironically when pushed hard the AWD Volvos have less traction than a FWD with an LSD, they don't spin the wheels easily due to applying the brakes��. This is easy to tell if you drive one with traction control off. An ATB diff in the front is a massive help as there is less need to apply the brakes when you want to accelerate. You can tell the brakes are being heavily applied to the front by how poor they are at getting off the line quickly.

Fitting an ATB in the front gives a bigger improvement in getting off the line than any other mod I've tried.

Slight off topic, Liam was about right.

As were slight off topic, not sure this holds firm for the polestars, they seem to scream off the line maybe the software is re-written to remove traction / brake intereferance? the t6 polestar mapped cars are pretty quick too, just without the launch control.

But reliability with autos and awds I'll stick with the 6sp auto, but only as daily drivers and occasional hoofing. I've got a manual for enthusiastic driving.

But diff is a good idea, is there any option for the rear diff?

Doingitsideways
Sunday 16th October 2016, 22:16
Erm...
Yeah.

Didn't know they did a 6spd AWD auto P80 C70.

Every day's a school day though, I guess.

Ettienne
Sunday 16th October 2016, 22:29
Erm...
Yeah.

Didn't know they did a 6spd AWD auto P80 C70.

Every day's a school day though, I guess.

Lol

jamesy12345
Monday 17th October 2016, 07:57
...a 6spd AWD auto P80 C70...

there's the next project then. Just need a cheap 6spd R and a C70 in gay gold flavour

Tim Williams
Monday 17th October 2016, 08:57
As were slight off topic, not sure this holds firm for the polestars, they seem to scream off the line maybe the software is re-written to remove traction / brake intereferance? the t6 polestar mapped cars are pretty quick too, just without the launch control.

But reliability with autos and awds I'll stick with the 6sp auto, but only as daily drivers and occasional hoofing. I've got a manual for enthusiastic driving.

But diff is a good idea, is there any option for the rear diff?

I had a V60 Polestar for the day and never found it quick off the line, when rolling it was ok. I guess I'm used to something a bit quicker. Which one did you have if you found it was good off the line?

Ettienne
Monday 17th October 2016, 10:26
I had a V60 Polestar for the day and never found it quick off the line, when rolling it was ok. I guess I'm used to something a bit quicker. Which one did you have if you found it was good off the line?

Been in a few (passenger and driving) as well as polestar'd t6's found pretty good, they felt more direct / urgent than my 6sp auto R, hard to explain like less intereference and more precise throttle, crisp, gearbox feels less held back as well.

Which I'd have put down to software and they felt very good for a traditional non twin clutch auto.

I've driven the 2.0 4 pot t6's as well and the d6's not driven the t8 yet though.

Doingitsideways
Monday 17th October 2016, 10:37
http://i1137.photobucket.com/albums/n518/doingitsideways/AP_NYC_train_derailment_jt_131130_16x9_992_zpsxfll b1pe.jpg (http://s1137.photobucket.com/user/doingitsideways/media/AP_NYC_train_derailment_jt_131130_16x9_992_zpsxfll b1pe.jpg.html)

:lol:

Tim Williams
Monday 17th October 2016, 11:19
That's good to know, well done. I guess I'm just used to more powerful and faster Volvos.

Harvey
Monday 17th October 2016, 22:32
That's good to know, well done. I guess I'm just used to more powerful and faster Volvos.

One that weights approx 280 kgs less and is more powerful & sounds better.
The V60 polestar 6 pot at Combe didn't sound nice ether, I want to hear the 4 pot on track might be a bit of a disappointment.

Ettienne
Tuesday 18th October 2016, 07:40
One that weights approx 280 kgs less and is more powerful & sounds better.
The V60 polestar 6 pot at Combe didn't sound nice ether, I want to hear the 4 pot on track might be a bit of a disappointment.

Driven the t6 turbo and supercharged, screamer of an engine very quick to rev, doesn't sound like a 5 pot and is a bit mute in the t6 xc90 but maybe different in the polestar.

We should have all the new engines in Gothenburg test track this time "power pulse" and t8's looking forward to it.

Doingitsideways
Tuesday 18th October 2016, 10:54
I drove a tank once.

Great fun.

p fandango
Tuesday 18th October 2016, 12:09
I drove a tank once.
its a Volvo forum, we all have

Doingitsideways
Tuesday 18th October 2016, 12:42
its a Volvo forum, we all have

:lol:

stribo
Tuesday 18th October 2016, 13:11
I drove a tank once.

Great fun.

What gearbox did it have? ;)

Doingitsideways
Tuesday 18th October 2016, 14:05
What gearbox did it have? ;)

Two levers and a pedal!

Don't think even the 6spd auto could handle the sixteen litre diesel

jamesy12345
Tuesday 18th October 2016, 14:35
Two levers and a pedal!

Don't think even the 6spd auto could handle the sixteen litre diesel

4-speed would be fine for that application, with some Carlube ATF-U in it (that was the last stuff in the Black Shark)

Ettienne
Tuesday 18th October 2016, 17:53
I drove a tank once.

Great fun.

Yep and looking forward to bovingdon tank museum meet, should be a laugh

Johnboy78
Sunday 13th November 2016, 15:42
Hi guys ,I know its a 5 so auto thread ,but out of interest how strong is the 4spd auto in p1 c70 ? I have noticed it can be quite slow to change and is not bad but way less smooth than I feel it should be ,the oil level is spot on and doesn't appear Burnt or dark in colour ,I have no idea the last time it was changed,do u think a flush and filter change will smothen it up ,as comparison ii had an old Toyota avensis auto daily driver and was smooth as silk for an old 4sp auto car is at 132k so after previous tribulations with rack brakes etc the last thing I expected is box trouble ,as previous I'm determined to persevere with it any help much appreciated thanks john

Doingitsideways
Tuesday 15th November 2016, 02:49
C70 should have the 5spd, no?

If you have E/S/W buttons on the shifter surround it's a 4spd.
Just W it's a 5.

From experience, the old 4spd is pretty damned strong.
Mine in the S70 has stood up to loads of abuse with knocking on for 300bhp, plenty of hard launches up the 1/4 mile too.

As for fluid changes, if it's the 5spd you have, then I wouldn't be surprised if it's never been done.
From memory, they're supposed to be a sealed for life thing so don't require it.
Reality is though that that's bo11ocks.
If you change it, make sure you get the right ATF though, they're quite sensitive to the right stuff.
Do a bit of research on replacing it in stages, there's loads of info about.

Interestingly, it could actually be the same gearbox as the Avensis as they're made by Toyota.
Volvo map the boxes to hold onto lower gears and change up later until the engine warms up. Don't know if yours gets any better when warm.

Johnboy78
Tuesday 15th November 2016, 17:00
Hi mate ,everyday is as a school day as they say ,it does only have "w "around the shifter ,I may have interpreted it wrong mate,I thougjt going by the handbook the shifter that has 1/2/3/D was a 4sp?but Im shure I've heard it shift 4 times which would be a 5 speed ,when cold and fans etc switched of you can here the mechanical noise of it working ,but would say its still a pronounced change between top and going down to second top I think I may be looking for something that's not there after the trouble I've had so far with the car ,I'm maybe unfairly comparing it with the Toyota ,they we're both the same age ,I did read some whare it was made by Japanese co,is there an area on the forum that goes more into gearboxes ? Thanks for suggestions john

Doingitsideways
Tuesday 15th November 2016, 22:21
Not on here really Fella.

Even the 4spd gives the impression of 5 gears, when the torque converter locks in shortly after the change to 4th.
Not sure if the 5spd does something similar. I don't drive the C70 often enough to notice.

MoleT-5R
Wednesday 16th November 2016, 00:08
Ooh auto's done then a few times but really miss them on a lazy weekend, my v70r's 5spd auto is just going tit's up so m66awd is next in..;)

Johnboy78
Wednesday 16th November 2016, 19:14
Hi doing it sideways ,that's what it could be totally forgot about that thanks ,would the torque converter locking in be more pronounced than say a shift ? Can I ask your first name rather than doing it sideways,or do you prefer that ? Hope you don't mind me asking

Doingitsideways
Wednesday 16th November 2016, 19:45
The name's Steve.

Yeah, the lock up can be quite pronounced.
On the 4spd it does it very shortly after changing up to 4th.
Not sure on the 5spd which I'm pretty much convinced you have.

jamesy12345
Wednesday 16th November 2016, 20:13
Rumour is he prefers it sideways

Bit of info below, including about lock up, on the 4-speed
https://www.volvoclub.org.uk/tech/service/850/AutoTransDiagnosis.pdf

:B_offtopi

Back on topic, if it's a 5-speed wouldn't it have L-3-4-D on the shifter surround, like this one..
http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201610218988600?onesearchad=Used&onesearchad=Nearly%20New&onesearchad=New&advertising-location=at_cars&radius=1500&make=VOLVO&postcode=dh13eh&model=C70&sort=price-asc&page=2

LiamT4
Wednesday 16th November 2016, 21:33
Rumour is he prefers it sideways

Bit of info below, including about lock up, on the 4-speed
https://www.volvoclub.org.uk/tech/service/850/AutoTransDiagnosis.pdf

:B_offtopi

Back on topic, if it's a 5-speed wouldn't it have L-3-4-D on the shifter surround, like this one..
http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201610218988600?onesearchad=Used&onesearchad=Nearly%20New&onesearchad=New&advertising-location=at_cars&radius=1500&make=VOLVO&postcode=dh13eh&model=C70&sort=price-asc&page=2

Thats how my 5spd auto is L-3-4-D.

What year is the c70 in question?

Johnboy78
Thursday 17th November 2016, 22:05
Hi Steve jamsey, liam,that's pretty much what it does m8 top gear then a pronounced change ,jamsey,thanks for the link will read later, I supose each man to his own prefrance lol ,liam the car is a "w" 2000 ,2.0 lpt, shifter has l,2,3,D, sorry if I've veered of to topic