PDA

View Full Version : stricky's V70R stage zero +

stricky1967
Friday 14th October 2016, 20:35
Well been meaning to do an introduction type post since joining the forum so here we go.

My name is Jon and home is in Cumbria UK, I own a 2003 V70R that I bought back in 2004 with under 10,000 miles on the clock. I had owned a p1 V70 T5 before that and loved everything about the car, the room, the safety , the comfort and of course the pace.

I wanted an auto (yeh I know ) as I did a few miles up and down to where I worked in London, I saw the V70R advertised on the internet it was titanium with atacama trim it also had the SAT-NAV, TV, phone heated seats and the 18" pegasus wheels, everything I was looking for. and basically bought it unseen from Bells in Kettering under the assurance from them that it was immaculate. I wasn't disappointed when it arrived and paid the balance via bank transfer. The car was previously registered to volvo cars UK in Didcott , maybe a demonstrator, I don't know ?

A while later I went down to see Hamish in Bromsgrove again and had the RICA stage 2 tune done, removing the torque limits from the gearbox, although it technically voided the volvo warranty the car was even better now!

Fast forward 12 years and 100,000 miles or so and I have to say the car is still a joy to own, although as you know, expensive to maintain and to run.

During storm Desmond that hit last December, and with parts of Cumbria practically submerged, winds howling , trees shaking and roads closing by the hour myself and the family reluctantly and with trepidation made the decision that we simply 'had' to try and get through. After all It was to a surprise 80th party for granddad people had traveled from far and wide to be there that night.

During the trip we drove through a flood on an A road that appeared passable as others were going through. The water turned out to be only 8 or 9 inches in depth, but afterward the car developed major electrical issues. Needless to say we never made it to the party that night and tried for 3 hours to make it back home.

https://youtu.be/os2FJj2m8I4

The car got worse and thought it wise to start the ball rolling with the insurance company. I was gutted and have to say a bit emotional to see the car being carted away on the back of the low loader with the possibility of never seeing it again. After-all we'd been through a lot, we'd had 3 more kids since 2004 had many family camping trips, holidays, visits to old friends up and down the length of the country, and all the time that grey car never missed a beat.

I spent the next few weeks negotiating with the insurance company who were pushing to write the car off. I battled with the insurance company to try and have it diagnosed 'properly' but they insisted quoting misguided repair costs approaching £9,000. But what would we get to replace the V70R, we looked at VW van type thing, land rover thingys, Merc Viano whatsits, nothing was floating any boats. Under pressure to make a decision I gave in and the car was written off with the proviso that I could buy back the 'salvage' at 25% of the value....surely it was well worth the punt?

Now the fight back began to save her, previously the car was looked after by the local volvo dealer. This was my family car a daily driver as they say. I didn't know what VIDA was? what an angle gear did? what a CEM was? But began to learn fast, I got up and running and with the help of people like yourselves, enthusiasts on the volvo forums soon got all the strange and wacky faults traced to one particular module.....the DEM.

I got the DEM sent off and repaired by volvo diagnostics in London for the princely sum of £99, took 10 mins to fit, started it up and all those nasty red and amber codes disappeared and never came back...The V70R was back from its watery grave!

At this point I think I was truly bitten by the volvo bug, I started to appreciate the rarity, the practicality and the performance, I was particularly impressed by seeing other owners with nearly 3 times as many miles as my own R.

I started to think, maybe Volvo is for life.

I'll update this thread with the trials and tribulations of getting the car back to as new as practicable , Stage Zero +.

Dangerous Dave
Friday 14th October 2016, 21:05
Awesome intro!

Welcome to the forum :D

May you have many more years fun out of your pride and joy!

Doingitsideways
Friday 14th October 2016, 22:15
Welcome along :)

Excellent introduction and write up for a lovely car :)

MoleT-5R
Saturday 15th October 2016, 03:57
Old Volvo's never die, they just get better...nice to see your dedication to your Volvo.I Iook forward to the thread updates

htomi
Saturday 15th October 2016, 08:13
Welcome to the forum :)

Look how small the world is.. :) http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?280617-Advise-needed-on-v70r-2003-geartronic

stricky1967
Saturday 15th October 2016, 09:05
Welcome to the forum :)

Look how small the world is.. :) http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?280617-Advise-needed-on-v70r-2003-geartronic

I owe you a special thanks fella :beer:

M-R-P
Saturday 15th October 2016, 09:41
Quite a read!

Since you're running a stage 2 map, have you had the liners shimmed? The 2.5 block has a habit of splitting a bore or two when tuned.

stricky1967
Saturday 15th October 2016, 10:00
Quite a read!

Since you're running a stage 2 map, have you had the liners shimmed? The 2.5 block has a habit of splitting a bore or two when tuned.

Thanks for the heads up I'd picked this up from the forum. I've been in contact with Tim Williams and will be sorted soon. Maybe been lucky for the last 10 years :blowingup

Santa
Sunday 16th October 2016, 08:20
Thanks for the background, glad you saved it :)

Welcome :)

Sent from my SM-N930F using Tapatalk

jdavis
Sunday 16th October 2016, 08:27
Welcome

The Flying Moose
Sunday 16th October 2016, 09:28
Fantastic story, sounds like she's a proper member of the family!

Welcome.

Wobbly Dave
Monday 17th October 2016, 16:23
Best intro I have read in many moons. I saw the pictures of the flooding last year and I am so glad you survived and I am the singular passion to bring your Volvo back from the dead. I too have had my fair share of ups & downs as the story (if you can be bothered to read 2000 posts) of my own silver ££££ box, as Hamish refers to it, has progressed through the many years of ownership. :welcome: - I hope we will run into each other (not literally) soon.

My own highlight, from a few years back, when Hamish had to eat his own workboots.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Kc7zyr9KLc

antonys60r
Tuesday 18th October 2016, 12:01
Well done for never giving up on the car. Well worth all the effort. These cars can frustrate and reward in equal measure.

V70-R-T5
Tuesday 18th October 2016, 21:33
Great story and welcome.

Our T5 (family member) is still with us and sits on the driveway with the 2 V70Rs being used regularly too. Was going to sell her but having owned her for 11 years now, having bought her when she was 5 years old with 23,000 on the clock. She's transported kids with prams and later kids with bikes, dogs, towed boats...I couldn't let her go.

stricky1967
Monday 24th October 2016, 21:43

Kicked off the stage zero earlier in the year by changing fluids, back diff, haldex, angle gear, ATF 3309 fluid (on going with drain and fills ) and engine oil. Seafoam in the crank case for a few miles helped flush out the old oil changed the filter and refilled with mobil 1 0w40. Also added BG 44 K fuel system cleaner. Maybe a bit of mumbo jumbo but didn't think it would do any harm.

Changed out the shocks all round managed to find the front Monroe's online at a very reasonable price and they delivered them directly from France. Got the rears ones from amazon for a reasonable sum too, compared to Volvo prices. The rears were a bit of mare to change had to take the grinder to one of the rear shock mounts as the mild steel bush insert at the bottom of the shock decided it didn't want to be parted from it. The coil springs looked OK so I left them in. Swapped out the spring seats for IPD HD ones and got new top bearings.

Cleaned up the engine bay a bit too.

LeeT5
Tuesday 25th October 2016, 09:08

Why is there no headlamp wiper blade on the N/S headlamp? You'll damage the glass my friend!

st etienne
Tuesday 25th October 2016, 11:53
Looking good there, I'm dreading doing the rear shocks on mine :(

Soon it will be as good as new : )

stricky1967
Tuesday 25th October 2016, 14:44
Looking good there, I'm dreading doing the rear shocks on mine :(

Soon it will be as good as new : )

I'll be doing mine again this week, got OE springs to go in ! hopefully be a bit easier this time around though.

stricky1967
Tuesday 25th October 2016, 14:49
Why is there no headlamp wiper blade on the N/S headlamp? You'll damage the glass my friend!

The plastic clip has broken on one side and the thing dropped out somewhere, can you get those separately or is it a new wiper arm job?

Its the plastic blade holder that's touching the glass so should be OK, I've been keeping a close eye on it.

htomi
Tuesday 25th October 2016, 15:43
can you get those separately or is it a new wiper arm job?

New wiper arm, I'm afraid.... :( When I was looking for the plastic nut/bolt cover for the headlight arm, the dealership told me Volvo sells the arm as a complete unit. No spare parts available separately.

€51,97
http://www.skandix.de/en/spare-parts/body/wipers-parts/headlight-cleaning-system/wiper-arm-headlight-cleaning-left/1007051/
Alternatively check on ebay/scrapyard.

You should take off the broken arm till you get the new one, before the headlight glass gets scratched.

Gold 'N' Brown
Tuesday 25th October 2016, 16:24
Or just pull the fuse for the headlight wipers in the meantime.

stricky1967
Thursday 27th October 2016, 15:29
Well wasn't looking forward to this job (again) but replaced all the coil springs with volvo OEM today. The car feels amazing now, like night and day, many thanks to Lee for the advise given, even had the ole girl in comfort for the first time in donkeys. Looking forward to completing the suspension refresh after noting this difference.

interestingly made in the UK

htomi
Thursday 27th October 2016, 17:56
Well done! Keep going ;)

stricky1967
Saturday 29th October 2016, 18:50
Got a misfire code in VIDA, so did the plugs and coil packs the other day. OE plugs and Bosch 0221604010 coil packs, all is well again.

stricky1967
Friday 4th November 2016, 20:55
Down to Tim Williams getting the ole' block treatment and an expensive PCV rubber pipe or two fitted, awesome bloke. :B_thumb:

M-R-P
Friday 4th November 2016, 22:39
Liner shim, pcv and timing belt all in one jobbie?

Saves a few quid having it all done at once.

LeeT5
Friday 4th November 2016, 23:25

Indeed.

Harvey
Saturday 5th November 2016, 00:09
Happy days to knock those jobs off the list , it's a lot of work for 1 day , Great service you can see why people travel so far to Tim to do his stuff ..

stricky1967
Saturday 5th November 2016, 08:47

He also did the angle gear/driveshaft seals too, seemed to think it may be where my angle gear leak was from, he did a lot in one long day, it was amazing to watch him, almost think he could do it all blindfolded.

Think he said he would have finished the job two hours quicker if it wasn't for me asking question and distracting him..... lol

Happy days to knock those jobs off the list , it's a lot of work for 1 day , Great service you can see why people travel so far to Tim to do his stuff ..

Wish he was a bit closer, I dont think I'd touch my car if he was, I have total confidence in him.

LeeT5
Saturday 5th November 2016, 08:49
I'll be getting mine done soon, Shimmed block, timing belt kit and WP. PCV is good as I only replaced that 20k ago.
Will be a good opportunity to finally sort out those pesky exhaust manifold head studs that keep coming loose.

stricky1967
Saturday 5th November 2016, 09:36
I'll be getting mine done soon, Shimmed block, timing belt kit and WP. PCV is good as I only replaced that 20k ago.
Will be a good opportunity to finally sort out those pesky exhaust manifold head studs that keep coming loose.

He did my water pump too as I'd got a new one, but said it didn't need it, the old one it was in perfect working order @115k , couldn't feel any play in it.

The PCV looked OK, the hole in the front of the block was "clean as a whistle" he said. But better to change out though.

Thankfully, the block was in good shape, but showed a little distortion between cyl1 and cyl2 as the shim didn't tap in as easily as the rest.

Exhaust manifold was blowing on 4 cylinders :eye-poppi

Ettienne
Saturday 5th November 2016, 12:10
I shimmed the sonic 3yrs back, waterpump and belts as well. I'll do the s60r once things die down with the other Volvo's

Harvey
Saturday 5th November 2016, 17:24
He did my water pump too as I'd got a new one, but said it didn't need it, the old one it was in perfect working order @115k , couldn't feel any play in it.

The PCV looked OK, the hole in the front of the block was "clean as a whistle" he said. But better to change out though.

Thankfully, the block was in good shape, but showed a little distortion between cyl1 and cyl2 as the shim didn't tap in as easily as the rest.

Exhaust manifold was blowing on 4 cylinders :eye-poppi

My exhaust manifold was just the same.

stricky1967
Monday 30th January 2017, 21:45
Well I'm glad that job is done, wasn't easy

http://i480.photobucket.com/albums/rr170/stricky1967/WP_20170130_11_09_22_Pro.jpg
http://i480.photobucket.com/albums/rr170/stricky1967/WP_20170130_11_12_28_Pro.jpg

htomi
Tuesday 31st January 2017, 10:12
Well done ;)

stricky1967
Tuesday 31st January 2017, 17:07
the old one, fair amount of play in it, may send it off to my mate in Sweden to get rebuilt and if possible improved upon.

http://i480.photobucket.com/albums/rr170/stricky1967/WP_20170131_10_32_11_Pro.jpg

On to the next job, Ferrita downpipe and system

http://i480.photobucket.com/albums/rr170/stricky1967/WP_20170131_10_32_33_Pro.jpg

Harvey
Tuesday 31st January 2017, 19:40
I'm looking forward to seeing it fitted.

stricky1967
Tuesday 31st January 2017, 19:54
I'm looking forward to seeing it fitted.

me too ;) got the downpipe on this morning but unfortuantly didnt realise that I had the wrong nuts supplied from volvo, I have the older studs in the turbine flange with m8 lock nuts but, also didnt get a new o2 sensor as the front one seems easy enough to swap out, my wallet is hoping the old one lasts a few more miles yet

htomi
Thursday 9th February 2017, 19:45
Is that a Mini Cooper in the background?

stricky1967
Saturday 11th February 2017, 17:52
Is that a Mini Cooper in the background?

Hi, no its this TR7 V8 5.0L V8, 330BHP , 900KG and no computers ;)

http://i480.photobucket.com/albums/rr170/stricky1967/White%20TR7%20V8/SANY0195.jpg

http://i480.photobucket.com/albums/rr170/stricky1967/White%20TR7%20V8/SANY0194.jpg

htomi
Saturday 11th February 2017, 18:12
Wow, Nice!

stricky1967
Saturday 11th February 2017, 20:17
downpipe on....

http://i480.photobucket.com/albums/rr170/stricky1967/WP_20170201_11_06_02_Pro.jpg

http://i480.photobucket.com/albums/rr170/stricky1967/WP_20170201_11_08_22_Pro.jpg

Had a few issues with the s/h Ferrita catback I bought its off an S60R and it is too short not by much but by enough. It's all on and sounds great but I'll have to get it fettled somewhere as its not hanging right

thought i'd tackle this while the exhaust was off, but had to admit defeat as theres no way of getting it changed without getting the end of the haldex thing pulled off too. will investigate further on this
http://i480.photobucket.com/albums/rr170/stricky1967/WP_20170201_11_04_49_Pro.jpg

LeeT5
Saturday 11th February 2017, 20:47
By 'end of Haldex thing', I guess you mean the DEM pump?

You can change the filter without removing anything mate. You just need to take your time.

It's easier on a 4 post lift rather than the floor on axle stands.

stricky1967
Saturday 11th February 2017, 21:12
no the end 'thing' the prop sits in Lee , apparently I have a bigger 'thing' than you later guys.

I tried every which way to get at it even made up a 4mm tool on the end of a ratcheting spanner ,but still no room.

The 'thing' will need to come of with a puller at some point when it's not so cold lying on the garage floor ;)

stricky1967
Saturday 11th February 2017, 21:27
http://i480.photobucket.com/albums/rr170/stricky1967/WP_20170107_16_26_37_Pro.jpg

imo, still looking great 14 years on, love it. :duck:

htomi
Sunday 12th February 2017, 08:24
:B_thumb::B_thumb:

st etienne
Sunday 12th February 2017, 08:26
Looking good there.

How do you find the Ferrita exhaust ? I was looking at that before I finally opted for the T.M.E system.

In regards to the Haldex filter I remember struggling with it on my 2003 "R". The Flange of the diff had to be removed as I could NOT slide the filter out. But on my 2005 "R" it seemed to have sufficient clearance ?

stricky1967
Sunday 12th February 2017, 11:37
Looking good there.

How do you find the Ferrita exhaust ? I was looking at that before I finally opted for the T.M.E system.

In regards to the Haldex filter I remember struggling with it on my 2003 "R". The Flange of the diff had to be removed as I could NOT slide the filter out. But on my 2005 "R" it seemed to have sufficient clearance ?

Yes, its seems great, I've been a bit busy lately so haven't driven any distance yet, but we have a long'ish road trip planned in a couple of weeks so should be a good test. First impressions are that it doesn't seem too loud at all, a deeper tone at idle but the original volvo dowpipe was blowing before the swap so this is peace itself. The TME looks better made but this 2 year old one came up and thought I couldn't go wrong at the price. Just a shame its a tadge too short, so I'll have to get it adjusted.

yeh, the haldex filter is a real pain, think the very early cars were the only ones fitted with the larger diameter prop flange thing, I didnt want t get the old one out and not be able to get the new one in, job will have to wait , I changed the fluid a few months ago, wish I had a 4 post lift in the garage.

LeeT5
Saturday 18th February 2017, 03:06
Yes, its seems great, I've been a bit busy lately so haven't driven any distance yet, but we have a long'ish road trip planned in a couple of weeks so should be a good test. First impressions are that it doesn't seem too loud at all, a deeper tone at idle but the original volvo dowpipe was blowing before the swap so this is peace itself. The TME looks better made but this 2 year old one came up and thought I couldn't go wrong at the price. Just a shame its a tadge too short, so I'll have to get it adjusted.

yeh, the haldex filter is a real pain, think the very early cars were the only ones fitted with the larger diameter prop flange thing, I didn't want to get the old one out and not be able to get the new one in, job will have to wait , I changed the fluid a few months ago, wish I had a 4 post lift in the garage.

Mate, trust me on this one. I was in the workshop at MRG when the tech replaced the Haldex filter on my car. I can assure you that he did not remove the prop or associated prop flange connecting pieces! Yes, it's a little fiddly but you just gotta take your time and not rush. I had the old flat type filter end cap before and they fitted the later, modified version, as shown in your picture.
Take it to a mates garage and do it on a four post ramp. You will definitely struggle on your back.

antonys60r
Saturday 18th February 2017, 07:44
I replaced my haldex filter on the ramp at work. No removal of prop or exhaust just a bit fiddly. As Lee said take your time don't rush and it can be done.

stricky1967
Saturday 18th February 2017, 15:37
cheers chaps, I'll take another look at it soon then

Jma3
Thursday 23rd February 2017, 02:54
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170223/0a554b9cad58fd48fc89276eaea1f89d.jpg

I bought this flexible driver extension on Amazon to get the top bolt out of the filter cover. It worked like a charm. Literally took 5 minutes to get the old filter out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

stricky1967
Thursday 23rd February 2017, 21:55
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170223/0a554b9cad58fd48fc89276eaea1f89d.jpg

I bought this flexible driver extension on Amazon to get the top bolt out of the filter cover. It worked like a charm. Literally took 5 minutes to get the old filter out.

thanks but I tried with one of those just couldn't get on to the top 4mm bolt with the prop flange in the way, will try again soon, thanks again

Jma3
Saturday 25th February 2017, 23:06
It was made easier by my small hands. Thanks mom.

stricky1967
Saturday 22nd April 2017, 17:32
I've got these for sale if anyone on the forum is after a pair, looking for £90 inc. the postage, cost me £115 I think, only been out of the box, couldn't post in the for sale forum for some reason

stricky1967
Saturday 22nd April 2017, 18:04
more jobs in the R pipeline as the suspension refresh continues

Lemforder TCA's x 2 - Decided to stick with the OEM ride, was tempted by powerflex though.
Lemforder spring seats X2 , the IPD Heavy Duty ones lasted 3 or 4k miles, I need to have a word with PartsForVolvos when I get them off the car.
Meyle HD drop links x 4
Volvo Rear big bush(s) x 2
Lemforder Track rod ends x 2
Powerflex transmission torque mount bush , the small one.

htomi
Sunday 23rd April 2017, 10:10
Word of caution with the Lemforder spring seats. Mine lasted only
a year and the PS got completelly destroyed. The shock piston nearly came out through the hood.
After a research I found the Lemforder part is the older design vs the newer Volvo which is a stronger
version for the XC90. Volvo discovered the original spring seats are weak and started supplying the XC90 version for S60/V70/XC70 and more.
If you already installed, keep an eye on it, if not, then get the Volvo one from the dealer.
It comes with 2 year warranty according to the parts dept at the dealership.

htomi
Sunday 23rd April 2017, 10:15
Volvo spring seat p/n 30683637

stricky1967
Sunday 23rd April 2017, 11:22
Word of caution with the Lemforder spring seats. Mine lasted only
a year and the PS got completelly destroyed. The shock piston nearly came out through the hood.
After a research I found the Lemforder part is the older design vs the newer Volvo which is a stronger
version for the XC90. Volvo discovered the original spring seats are weak and started supplying the XC90 version for S60/V70/XC70 and more.
If you already installed, keep an eye on it, if not, then get the Volvo one from the dealer.
It comes with 2 year warranty according to the parts dept at the dealership.

thanks for that I'll check this out, these spring seats are going to be the death of me, I can swap a v70 strut out blindfolded now

stricky1967
Tuesday 24th October 2023, 19:20
Still have her, still spending loads a money:D

kmb
Saturday 28th October 2023, 20:08
What's been changed? Good to see one with long ownership

MoleT-5R
Sunday 29th October 2023, 13:11
Good to hear that you still have your V70 R, that's been some long ownership, I have a few long ownership Volvo's here but next to none are on the road at present, hopefully I'll get to sort one or two out over the winter, ready for when the weather improves next year.

stricky1967
Thursday 16th November 2023, 08:02
IPD rear toe arms fitted recently , new Michelin PS 5's , TME springs on order 332813328233283

stricky1967
Wednesday 29th November 2023, 21:03
What's been changed? Good to see one with long ownership

22 years and counting