PDA

View Full Version : Tyre size Volvo state 2?

chadders
Wednesday 5th October 2016, 19:01
I'm running non OEM alloys 17" 7J original were 17" 8J. Current tyres are 245/45/17 W XL. Volvo spec 225/50/17 & 245/45/17. However which one is right?

I'm looking at getting some winter tyres or maybe all season. What are the pros & cons of the two sizes? which is best?

Doingitsideways
Wednesday 5th October 2016, 19:08
Wow... 245 on a 7j rim is massive!

I'd go with 225s on those

chadders
Wednesday 5th October 2016, 19:13
Wow... 245 on a 7j rim is massive!

I'd go with 225s on those

Thanks I wonder if that's why I'm getting a rumbling noise from around 40mph. It really is annoying and thought it was the new wheels?!

Doingitsideways
Wednesday 5th October 2016, 21:26
Yeah, maybe.

M-R-P
Thursday 6th October 2016, 16:01
225 45 17 is the normal size however, if you're planning to fit winters, I'd go for 215 or even 205.

jamesy12345
Thursday 6th October 2016, 16:54
Avon tyre info gives some good tables on what width rim goes with what tyre
http://www.avon-tyres.co.uk/car/zv7

kmb
Thursday 6th October 2016, 16:57
My first port of call for checking wheel/tyre fitment is here: http://www.willtheyfit.com/

LeeT5
Friday 7th October 2016, 03:25
225 45 17 is the normal size however, if you're planning to fit winters, I'd go for 215 or even 205.

I don't mean to tread on your toes, but It's totally unnecessary to reduce the width of the tyre, just because you're fitting winters; unless you're planning on driving on compacted snow or ice 100% of the time. If you are, then you should be fitting narrower tyres and studs!

In the UK, whilst we rarely get consistent and prolonged periods of the white fluffy stuff, during the winter it's far better to stick with an OE size winter tyre, ie 225/45R17, as the tyres will spend most of their time in contact with wet, cold tarmac. Therefore, you'll need the extra grip and, more importantly, stability that the 225mm tyre will give you over a 215mm or 205mm width. Having a softer compound winter tyre is perfectly adequate in the UK and a huge improvement on traction when the mercury falls below 7*C.

If you fitted 215 or even 205 wide tyres, you're likely to increase your stopping distance because you'll have less rubber in contact with the road. The only time this does not apply would be on fresh/compacted snow and ice. A narrower tyre means less weight distributed and therefore more weight in the tyre tread increasing the ability of the tread to grip the snow/ice.

I use exactly the same size tyre on my R in both winter and summer tyre. The difference is night and day.
My winters will be going on in the next few weeks as the temperatures are starting to fall below 7*C.

This video highlights the important differences and explains why you should fit winters in the Uk and not just for when it snows!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elP_34ltdWI

chadders
Friday 7th October 2016, 19:19
I'm really not sure about the autoexpress test mainly because most winter tyres have a really poor efficiency rating for wet braking so how does that stand with the claim that they stop the car in a shorter distance. Also snow like in the test in most of the UK is as rare as hens teeth!! confused?

LeeT5
Friday 7th October 2016, 20:42
I'm really not sure about the autoexpress test mainly because most winter tyres have a really poor efficiency rating for wet braking so how does that stand with the claim that they stop the car in a shorter distance. Also snow like in the test in most of the UK is as rare as hens teeth!! confused?

Your clearly missing the point.

What's snow got to do with it? Do some more research on winter tyres and you'll realise the benefits and they have nothing to do with driving on snow.

chadders
Friday 7th October 2016, 20:58
Your clearly missing the point.

What's snow got to do with it? Do some more research on winter tyres and you'll realise the benefits and they have nothing to do with driving on snow.

I understand the point between winter tyres and summer tyres I and I'm fully aware of the different rubber compounds used and the fact that winter tyres come into there own below 7deg etc However my question was regarding stopping power / distance in the wet and the reference to snow was just an observation. The test needs to be done in the UK at 7 am when it's slightly damp and around 7-8deg IMO