PDA

View Full Version : V70R turbo and tow bar

Rogerb
Sunday 2nd October 2016, 23:23
Hi,
My auto '98 R has a knackered turbo. The compressor wheel is damaged where a P O has dropped something into it.
It doesn't smoke , but has various bit broken of it . It is a 16T.
I have a 18T off a '98 R manual, as part of my manual conversion stuff.
But is is stated as smoking.
Question is can I take the compressor and inlet housing off the 18T and fit it to the 16T?and make a working turbo.
If I have to get a new one , is it worth the extra to get a 19T over the 18T.
Or what are the thoughts on a Kinugawa billet TD04HL-20T-7 such as 121197691699 on eBay?
I know the later is an angle down pipe , that is is not a problem. I would probably put a angle housing on the existing turbo anyway.
I am slowly building a stash of parts for future work including a 2.5 S60R bottom end.
But at the moment I would perfer not to have to get a new turbo as I need lots of other parts at the moment.

The other question is as the car is in lots of bits with the back end completely striped , is it worth fitting a tow bar , or the cross bar for it , as I have a Volvo one sitting about. To stiffen things up as the aim is a stiff car with tight handaling, I have a C70 convertible subframe and brace , to go on at the front.
I have see this talked about, but normally with regard to the C70 .
Has anyone got any experance of this , or is the extra wait not wort it?
I have also seen but don't have , or could make a brace that goes between the mounting points for the 7 seat kit.

Thanks Roger.