PDA

View Full Version : Brakes c70

Johnboy78
Friday 2nd September 2016, 20:22
Hi guys I've noticed on my c70 it feels like abs is on at all pedal travel ,no abs light on ,I've noticed brake dust build up on f/o/s is way higher than other side,also when sunroof down can hear metallic clinking sound when going over bumps ,any advice or suggestions greatly aprciated ,cheers john

Biff
Friday 2nd September 2016, 20:58
Probably a sticking caliper fella.
Both mine suffered but a rebuild kit from partsforvolvo.com sorted them.
Not an easy job so rather expensive for a mechanic.
I'm pretty sure you can swap your calipers for rebuilt ones with a surcharge.

Johnboy78
Friday 2nd September 2016, 21:26
Probably a sticking caliper fella.
Both mine suffered but a rebuild kit from partsforvolvo.com sorted them.
Not an easy job so rather expensive for a mechanic.
I'm pretty sure you can swap your calipers for rebuilt ones with a surcharge.

Thanks for reply mate,had a suspicion,increased brake dust etc front wheel warmer than other although this is now stopped,would parts for Volvo have a price for steering rack ? As I need one of those too,although its gony be quite expensive its a keeper mate cheers john

Biff
Friday 2nd September 2016, 23:21
Thanks for reply mate,had a suspicion,increased brake dust etc front wheel warmer than other although this is now stopped,would parts for Volvo have a price for steering rack ? As I need one of those too,although its gony be quite expensive its a keeper mate cheers john
Jamie from parts for Volvo is very helpful, might be worth giving him a call.
My rack was weeping on my first R (330,000+ miles) & I topped it up with this: Look at this on eBay:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/262500267045

LUCAS POWER STEERING STOP LEAK 946ML STOPS RACK PINION PROBLEMS, SQUEALS,WHINES
Obviously if it's too bad then you will need a rack but it's worth a try. Hell of a lot cheaper!
The warm wheel is a giveaway.
A great upgrade is 302mm discs off the R models. I & a good few others swear by them. You will need the caliper brackets or carriers as they are referred to. I used genuine discs & ferrodo ds2500 pads & I never needed anymore even with 270bhp.
Hope this helps.

Johnboy78
Friday 2nd September 2016, 23:57
Hi biff ,thanks for the information it is most welcome ,yeah the leak on the rack is fairly bad ,but,its worth a go and like you say a lot cheaper the prices for racks vary a lot ,I've not manage to figure out which rack it has ,I will certainly keep brake upgrade in mind mate I had a quick browse on parts for Volvo ,think caliper is 54 quid done a quick search for rack ,no joy , is the rack a known weak spot? ,I got extensive history with car and haven't went through it all but think a saw recipt for a caliper ,is this r weak spot? Is there anything else I should look for ? Thanks again for info biff very much appreciated

Biff
Saturday 3rd September 2016, 09:03
Hi biff ,thanks for the information it is most welcome ,yeah the leak on the rack is fairly bad ,but,its worth a go and like you say a lot cheaper the prices for racks vary a lot ,I've not manage to figure out which rack it has ,I will certainly keep brake upgrade in mind mate I had a quick browse on parts for Volvo ,think caliper is 54 quid done a quick search for rack ,no joy , is the rack a known weak spot? ,I got extensive history with car and haven't went through it all but think a saw recipt for a caliper ,is this r weak spot? Is there anything else I should look for ? Thanks again for info biff very much appreciated

Yes the racks are a weak spot over time, but not all go. Just both of mine! Lol
That's a good price on the caliper, I thought they were about £80!
I know a genuine Volvo rack is over £1000 but I sold a second hand leak free rack for£60, just a thought...
No worries, I didn't have a clue about volvo's when I bought my first wreck of an R & it was these boys & a lot of research that sent me in the right direction. Until I turned up the boost & bent a rod. :(
Lessons were learnt!!

Johnboy78
Saturday 3rd September 2016, 12:04
Hi biff the forum is defiantly a great resource and try to expand my knowlage when time allows,I don't have in issue putting a good housed one in,just don't have the skils or space to do it myself ,and most garages want to see the car and order part before doing work I'm guessing due to there being two maskes of rack in these? If I could definitively I.d rack and find someone to do it with me supplying partit would lie you saybe a whole lot cheaper,thanks again john

Biff
Saturday 3rd September 2016, 17:46
Hi biff the forum is defiantly a great resource and try to expand my knowlage when time allows,I don't have in issue putting a good housed one in,just don't have the skils or space to do it myself ,and most garages want to see the car and order part before doing work I'm guessing due to there being two maskes of rack in these? If I could definitively I.d rack and find someone to do it with me supplying partit would lie you saybe a whole lot cheaper,thanks again john

Some garages may refuse to fit a second hand part.
I'm unsure of the 2 types, I know the AWD rack is different Rack so maybe that's it.

foammanmark
Saturday 3rd September 2016, 18:22

Hi, I have a steering rack off a p1 V70 R taking up space in my caravan and you're welcome to that if it's the right rack. Does your car pull to one side when braking joi?

Johnboy78
Saturday 3rd September 2016, 18:22
What I managed to find out so far is one is zf the other TRW I think it is seemingly decodable from vin/chassis plate

Biff
Saturday 3rd September 2016, 18:28
What I managed to find out so far is one is zf the other TRW I think it is seemingly decodable from vin/chassis plate

Any decent parts supplier should be able to tell you which one is correct for your car.
I think all fed v/s/c70 & 850's use the same rack.

foammanmark
Saturday 3rd September 2016, 19:18

I'll try and look tomorrow as to what the rack is that I have.

Johnboy78
Saturday 3rd September 2016, 19:28
Thanks for the feed back guys its much appreciated ,there is so much to learn about this car! And what you can do with them ,does anyone know how to decode vin to find out what ones in it ,it is actually ruining a good car so needs done asap ,not shure if posting in correct area guys as fairly to to car forums,I don't now if I should be starting threads or askin general question section , thanks again John

Biff
Saturday 3rd September 2016, 20:06
Ideally you should post in the 70 section really but the mods will move it if needs be.
With a few mods your car will be transformed & not for a lot of money if you wait for second hand items to come up.
I want another. Lol

Johnboy78
Saturday 3rd September 2016, 20:16
Ok mate thanks I shall start posting in there ,this is my first Volvo and absaloutley love it ,and got it for peanuts even allowing for rack and sticky caliper ,still feels like a lot of car for money once sorted

Biff
Saturday 3rd September 2016, 21:04
Ok mate thanks I shall start posting in there ,this is my first Volvo and absaloutley love it ,and got it for peanuts even allowing for rack and sticky caliper ,still feels like a lot of car for money once sorted

It will be, they are cracking fun for the coin.
They will give you a head ache from time to time but they are very worth it. :)

Wobbly Dave
Wednesday 7th September 2016, 09:48
Eurocarparts sell recon calipers - they are not that hard to swap out, assuming you have the right tools.

Even I don't bother refurbing them.

phil67
Wednesday 7th September 2016, 21:41
I was having similar issues with my C70 and ended up getting 2 new rear calipers from parts for Volvo at a great price of £48 each, so would deffo recommend them for the rears :)

Johnboy78
Wednesday 7th September 2016, 23:22
Thanks again for feedback guys ,very helpful and informative, the car is needing as bit of work ,first on the list a power steering issue ,suspected sticking frtont o/s calliper and now is using brakefluid as well ,don't know if its related to caliper issue

Biff
Thursday 8th September 2016, 08:03
Thanks again for feedback guys ,very helpful and informative, the car is needing as bit of work ,first on the list a power steering issue ,suspected sticking frtont o/s calliper and now is using brakefluid as well ,don't know if its related to caliper issue

Could be the seal has now perished & weaping.

Johnboy78
Thursday 8th September 2016, 14:04
Hi biff I hope so as the to do list is getting ever bigger! I need to take it to my local garage and get a general health check and find out what needs doing and priorities safety/cost and further damage to car ,the only thing that puzzles me is I've run many cars of inferior quality to the Volvo often with higher millages and havnt ever run in to the types of problems I'm getting with the Volvo, but like in previous comments its a keeper so will just have to work through the probs

phil67
Thursday 8th September 2016, 20:58
Also the clutch uses the same fluid pot

Johnboy78
Friday 9th September 2016, 19:14
Hi Phil ,yeah I was reading that somewhere today ,mines is a auto mate so is that a separate supply.? Sorry if spears a dumb question still learning about volvos, another question to the guys unrelated to brakes is cleaning products and how to reduce glare from windscreen (reflection of dash) ,cheers john

phil67
Friday 9th September 2016, 21:47
You could use something like a household cleaner that doesn't shine, I use autoglym rubber and plastic and wipe it off straight away so it doesn't leave it shiny, but in reality the 2 days a years of sunshine should pose a problem lol

Johnboy78
Friday 9th September 2016, 23:20
Aye your right there Phil ,I did try my little asda dash wipe from previous car and done a small bit on steering wheel and it didn't like it thanks for the tips though ,may try something a tad more expensive ,but in previos experience more expensive doesent always mean better