PDA

View Full Version : DIY smoke testing

Gold 'N' Brown
Thursday 1st September 2016, 00:13
I've seen smoke testing mentioned on here in the past so thought I'd have a quick google on how to make up a tester. Found this vid by RobertDIY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BITZ-MsPRzM"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BITZ-MsPRzM

Looks easy enough. Does anyone have any other tips they would like to add to this? For example, where might be best to attach the hoses on a Ph2 T5 motor? Also, I appreciate it may actually be more sensible to just stump the small cost of getting it done by a garage instead, but equally I would like to give it a go myself so that I can actually see with my own eyes where the leaks are try to rectify any issues myself.

Rnash2002
Thursday 1st September 2016, 14:42
i used plumbers smoke tablets.

MoleT-5R
Friday 2nd September 2016, 09:39
looks simple enough to make and do, I'd guess that you could use the vac/pressure pipe to the turbo compressor housing from the tcv for an easy hook up point as I'd imagine the p2 doesn't have a vac tree like the old t5's

LeeT5
Friday 2nd September 2016, 10:16
looks simple enough to make and do, I'd guess that you could use the vac/pressure pipe to the turbo compressor housing from the tcv for an easy hook up point as I'd imagine the p2 doesn't have a vac tree like the old t5's

Correct.

LeeT5
Friday 2nd September 2016, 10:19
i used plumbers smoke tablets.

I've seen the chimney sweep use those smoke tablets on our fireplace and woodburner to check for a 'good draw'.

They fill the entire woodburner with thick white smoke in seconds :eye-poppi and would be excellent to use as a smoke leak test, rather than lighting 20 B+H ...:uglyhamme and melting your home made device.

MoleT-5R
Friday 2nd September 2016, 10:26
I've seen the chimney sweep use those smoke tablets on our fireplace and woodburner to check for a 'good draw'.

They fill the entire woodburner with thick white smoke in seconds :eye-poppi and would be excellent to use as a smoke leak test, rather than lighting 20 B+H ...:uglyhamme and melting your home made device.

I might knock myself up a kit and try some smoke tablets, to see that the induction system is all tickety boo before the York drag meet, I did like the use of the tyre valve for easy compressor attachment.

Gold 'N' Brown
Friday 2nd September 2016, 12:03
Really good tip about the smoke tablets. That'll make things much easier and more effective.

Gold 'N' Brown
Wednesday 7th September 2016, 11:53
I've put together a list of things I need and hope to cobble this together in the next couple of weeks.

Since I needed a tyre valve to connect a pump to the container I've just ordered 4 valves off ebay for £1.50 and will use another 1 or 2 of those (minus the actual valve stems) as the take offs for the hose/s going in to the engine. That saves me buying some brass tails to connect the hoses to the container, which would have been an additional cost.

For the container I'm going to see if I can get something from a pound shop, albeit something containing a product I'll still use so the container is essentially free. A big plastic jar of Swizzels sweets would be good :bounce:

Smoke pellets I can get from Screwfix just down the road for ~£3.50.

For for my pressure source - well I'm guessing that in the absence of a compressor one could just pump away with a foot pump since not much pressure is needed. However, I was thinking of getting a 12v tyre pump recently anyway so I'm going to pick up a Ring RAC635 for £25 and that will tick that part off the list. I don't see this as adding £25 to the cost of the smoke tester since, as I said, it was something I was going to buy in the near future anyway.

I'll update this when I get it all sorted and put to test. I might even do a pictorial How To in the spirit of our dearly departed King Troll JamesT5 :tombstone:duck: