PDA

View Full Version : Air Con Flashing orange lights

V70RAWD
Tuesday 6th December 2005, 20:29
Hi
my 1998 V70R has decided to (well somtimes) start flashing its orange AC lights for approx 20 seconds when the car is started. Reading the handbook this is indicating a Air Con problem !!
Also on these cold morings I've noticed I'm getting a slight fumey/petrol smell (smell goes when AC turned off) not sure if its related to the flashing lights ?

Any commom faults that you might be aware of that I can check easily ? I have done a quick forum search and there quite a few Air Con hits, but none that mention the flashing orange lights (sorry if this has been covered before !)

By the way I'm two evenings into replacing a heater matrix on Mk3 VR6 (no garage) its bloody cold holding a torch in your mouth while you remove nearly every thing on the car !!! It is the worse job I've ever attempted !

I saw the 'Howto Volvo S70 Heater Matrix' on here, I just hope the lights are not related to that !

Thanks

V70RAWD
Tuesday 6th December 2005, 21:42
Okay to answer my own question, just did a bit more forum searching and found this which gives me some ideas to what to check .... http://www.volvot5.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=3301&highlight=orange

The Flying Banana, The flashing lights indicate a fault within the climate unit. If you have 2 orange lights, this is a climate control unit. To do a quick test on the air conditioning compressor, turn on the ac in the car, open the bonnet, and at the back of the engine bay where the 2 ac pipes go into the car, there is a Low Pressure switch in 1 line. Disconnect this and very briefly bridge out the 2 terminals. If the engine revs rise, then the compressor clicks in, your gas level is too low to register, and needs recharging. The gas does escape over time, or you have a leak somewhere, in which case be prepared for a long hunt!. If the engine revs don't rise, and the compressor doesn't click in, the ecu or relay behind the climate unit could be at fault. If you turn the ac switch on and off with the engine running, you should hear a faint clicking sound behind the ecc control panel . If not relay or ecc faulty. Try this out and get back when you have.