PDA

View Full Version : Possible f😧😧cked Crankshaft

Weightliftingfunkygibbon
Sunday 14th August 2016, 16:03
Hi All,
I've got a lot of grey/white smoke bellowing from my exhaust of a v70 1998 turbo when I drive.
1 garage reckons the crankshaft could be damaged, what would be the cost of fixing this or would an engine swap be easier??

Thanks In advance

M-R-P
Sunday 14th August 2016, 16:58
Sounds more like the turbo seals gone.

Nealevo
Sunday 14th August 2016, 17:00
White grey smoke normally indicates worn turbo seal, I very much doubt it will be crankshaft.

Shinsplintz 101
Sunday 14th August 2016, 19:20
If it's the crank it'll be knocking like a barsteward.

As above, any smoke from the t5 lump is either worn turbo seals, valve stem seals or piston rings. Normally, but not always, in that order.

Good luck. Cheers, Morgan

claymore
Sunday 14th August 2016, 21:11
I don't think I'd take it back to that garage if they said it was the crank.

LeeT5
Sunday 14th August 2016, 21:17
:hihi:
Crankshaft..

:uglyhamme

Do what Claymore says and don't go back to that garage.

Only time Crankshafts fail is normally due to the oil pump failing, which is not very common. Trust me when I say this......You'd definitely know if it were your Crank and or the oil pump failing. The noise would be horrendous mate!

Weightliftingfunkygibbon
Monday 15th August 2016, 15:28
Would it need stripping down to find the problem?

Weightliftingfunkygibbon
Monday 15th August 2016, 15:30
It definitely isn't knocking, it just pimps a lot of grey/white smoke out in intervals.
First of all a little smile, then it bellows out, then stops.

LeeT5
Monday 15th August 2016, 16:23
Why strip it down? It's not your crank shaft mate, end of.

claymore
Monday 15th August 2016, 19:14
you've got a knackered turbo

Orca2
Monday 15th August 2016, 21:49
As above shagged cranks don't produce smoke, fubarred turbo oil seals do as do valve stem seals or oil rings, have a look in your turbo to intercooler pipe , if it's really oily it's probably the turbo , they are all a but oily by the way .
Check the turbo for play too it's easy to feel if the bearings are cuffed. Do a compression test if you can , stick an endoscope down into a cylinder , you can get them for smartphones for a few quid these days.
But deffo not your crank you would know believe me they make a hell of a racket and the car runs like a bag of spanners.