PDA

View Full Version : Another whats Wrong.......

john656
Sunday 14th August 2016, 11:36
Hi Guys,
Anyone had a similar problem to me. 1997 t5 v70 183K on it auto. Completely random and intermittent with no rhyme or reason. Go to start it, hot or cold, on a slope, flat makes no odds. Start to crank and just as it's about to fire it stalls, if you immediately try again and it doesn't go it will spin and spin. Usually second time around it goes. Feels like fuel or immobiliser to me but as it doesn't do it long enough for me to get round it i am no closer. Nothing seems to make it better or worse and is completely random.
I will have a quick squint over it today, vac hoses, connectors etc.
I've code read it and there are no codes stored

Anything on these older higher mileage cars that is common that I've missed searching.

Regards

John

Biff
Sunday 14th August 2016, 17:15
I'd be checking my dizzy cap, rotor arm, leads & plugs, also check fuel pressure/pump relay.
It's a pretty open fault you have that could possibly be crank/cam sensor related but it may be worth checking that the engine is actually turning off the starter, you may have some teeth missing giving an irregular ignition.

john656
Sunday 14th August 2016, 20:19
Thank you Biff, I did have the dizzy cap off today and it was in quite a state. I'll order a new cap and rotor arm tomorrow..... all volvo parts so could stand to reason they are 183k old.... time will tell.
Starter always engages, should have written crank and crank, compression always sound good too.

Biff
Sunday 14th August 2016, 20:50
Hope it sorts the issue for you.
Another Volvo lives on I hope.

claymore
Sunday 14th August 2016, 21:12
I'd be looking at the immobilizer.

LeeT5
Sunday 14th August 2016, 21:14
With that high mileage on a first year V70, I'd be checking live readings and see if your getting an RPM signal on crank. If your not, then I'd be looking at the Crank shaft sensor being the problem, especially with the symptoms you've described.

If you can't read live readings then buy a NOID light and check switching at one of the injector plugs. You are looking for a bright, consistent flash from the NOID light. If you have a consistent flash, then that rules out many things, including, Immobilisor, ECM, Battery, Starter motor, crank shaft sensor and ECM wiring.

Next I'd be looking at fuel pressure.

T5's (all ages) suffer with Fuel pressure regulators packing up and Fuel pressure sensors. Pumps are not so common, but correct Voltage and Amperage can be checked at the Fuel pump fuse itself. Expect to see 4-6 amps on crank. 0 amps indicates no fuel or pump open circuit or relay fault. To high an amp draw, ie 9 amps + indicates pump seizing/binding.

Rogerb
Tuesday 20th September 2016, 10:54
If you have not already fixed it.
I would try changing the pick up coil , round the key. As they can give these symptoms.
Check the part number as it has changed, I believe.
The other thing to check is the crank sensor , try cleaning it, as they can pick up swarf from ring gear. They do go weak as well.
Roger.