View Full Version : Minor Temp problems 850R

bonnietiler
Sunday 7th August 2016, 12:03
If I run with the air con on no problem fan cuts in
If I run with the air con off sometimes the fan cuts in but other times not
I have rigged a live direct from the battery
I have replaced the Relay
I have replaced the thermostat and the temp sensor
I have noticed though that on start the REC and Air Con Lights flash for about 15 seconds
Is this a problem?
Air con works fine

Timo.
Sunday 7th August 2016, 14:27
I think the rec and air con lights flashing indicates an error.
Mine does that and my air con definitely doesn't work :(

Shinsplintz 101
Sunday 7th August 2016, 19:25
+1 to the above. Flashing lights = fault code. Get a code read & see where that leads you. Good luck.

bonnietiler
Sunday 7th August 2016, 20:28
Done the code reader...nothing showing?

LeeT5
Monday 8th August 2016, 09:54
Done the code reader...nothing showing?

That's because your code reader cannot read the CCM (Climate Control Module), if it could, then it would show a fault code or two or more!!

If you don't have VIDA/DICE you will struggle. As said, flashing lights on the RECIRC/Aircon switches indicates a fault with your Aircon. Your Cooling fans are connected to a Cooling Fan control Relay and this gets it power directly from the ECM (Engine Control Module).

You first need to check this:

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n222/kjg26/VolvoFanModule.jpg

It is located directly above the Cooling fan cowling. You need to make sure that when the ignition is 'ON' you are getting 12v to the Relay. Do not just check with a multimeter probe, you must physically unplug the relay and check the female plugs for 12v and that the connections are not corroded and furred up! Check for black burn marks on the relay pins, indicating a bad connection. Use contact cleaner before you plug it back in to ensure a good, clean connection.

Changing the coolant temp switch and thermostat would have have made no difference as your car was not overheating!

As with all modern day cars, post 1996, it is code practice to read codes first with a dedicated code reader rather than chucking money at your car.
Don't use generic code reader, as in nearly all cases, these will only read the ECM faults and from experience - are a waste of money!

My bet is on a poor connection to the Fan control Relay. :shhh:

bonnietiler
Monday 8th August 2016, 11:20
I'll check again icarsoft 906 reads climate control doesn't it? Maybe not.
Interestingly...or not..since I have changed the sensor the temperature gauge settles at just over half way now rather than previously typical nicely under.
However the fans come on without the aircon switched on automatically.. obviously they operate all the time when it is engaged.
As I say everything seems to work I just have the flashing lights.
I wonder if I have fixed the problem.. inadvertently with my belt and braces fix...ie.. change everything and the code just needs deleting
I'll borrow the 906 again and run it through a second time

Tim Williams
Monday 8th August 2016, 13:09
Vida and VARDIS doesn't wilork with an 850. A Volvo Dealer or Indy should be able to read all your codes correctly with a Volvo System Tester. Each system needs to be asked for its codes not just a "read all" that you get with most systems. If you're local or passing by mine I can quickly read all your codes.

leet5r
Monday 8th August 2016, 20:17
mine comes up with half speed fan problem , the fans work but never looked into it as it doesn't overheat