PDA

View Full Version : Noise after having aftermarket Alloys

chadders
Monday 1st August 2016, 12:16
:mad:
Had my lovely new alloys put on the car yesterday kept the original tyres on as they were in such good condition and a good make. All good and really pleased with the look.

However I think they are noisy!! I say think because I'm hearing a rumbling / loud humming noise not the the normal road noise . They are 17" 7.5J the originals FOR SALE by the way were 17" 8J. I've checked the wheel bolts they're fine the tyres aren't directional,

Could they alloys be causing wind noise and the rumbling?
or could they need rebalancing again?
Also is it possible it's the wheel bearings the car's only done 57K and it's not had a hard life so that's my outside guess.

I noticed it straight away on the motorway going home from the tyre fitters.
Thanks

claymore
Monday 1st August 2016, 13:06
have the wheels got the correct center bore size?

Blackdog
Monday 1st August 2016, 14:11
My aftermarket ones had oversized bores and came with plastic bushes to adjust them to the correct bore size.

jamesy12345
Monday 1st August 2016, 14:30
I would get back to the tyre place to get them checked out quickly. Spigot rings is the name of the plastic bushes to correct bore size

chadders
Monday 1st August 2016, 23:40
thanks for the suggestions. Yes they did come with spigot rings, plastic ones which the tyre place fitted. I'll go back to the tyre fitter see what they have to say.

claymore
Tuesday 2nd August 2016, 07:34
I suspect it's just a case of the tyres not going back on the same corners of the car and need to bed in.