PDA

View Full Version : Rain sensor re-activating (reprise)

MistralS60
Saturday 30th July 2016, 11:16
Bought the magic silicone and removed the rain sensor, then found that the 'gel' bit was stuck to the windscreen, and the wrong way round at that, so no wonder the sensor didn't sense.

Carefully peeled it off and stuck it to the main sensor bit with beads of superglue at the corners, lining up the holes in the gel and the face of the main bit. The gel lost a few smidgens of black stuff in the peeling off, but that doesn't seem to matter.

Clipped the assembly into its holder, and it worked ! (When I'd re-connected the wires :slap: )

Some person must have replaced the screen in a hurry and bunged the gel in any old how, and the then owner (no, 'twas not I) removed fuse 12 at the RH side behind the dash to stop the wipers wiping when the rain stopped.

So I didn't use the silicone, but if I'd had to it would have been a 2-3mm layer on top of the said main bit.

HTH
Keith

MistralS60
Sunday 31st July 2016, 07:37
Here's what a guy on Another Forum wrote me :

"I made sure to fill any voids underneath the gel, but I didn't remove it fully. Letting any silicon you add under the gel pad dry before doing the exterior and mounting to the window is a good idea. I put on a pretty healthy amount-- I figured I'd rather have too much than too little. In my case, the distance between the glass and the gel was a few millimeters, so it required quite a bit of silicon to just bridge the gap. The good news is that you can put some silicone sealer on, and if you notice that it's not a uniform contact across the whole face, you can pull it off before it dries, add some more, and try again. A little wiggling once in the holder before clamping down can also help distribute if necessary."