PDA

View Full Version : Hazard lights oddity

Gold 'N' Brown
Sunday 24th July 2016, 14:52
Just had a weird one with my hazard lights. Car is a MY2001 V70 T5.....

Parked up at Tesco on a very slight upwards incline. Put handbrake on and left it in gear. Switched the ignition off with the wipers half way up the screen (wipers were set to the slow constant speed as I parked). Left the keys in the ignition but ignition off, and wife and kids in the car. When I came back out 5 mins later the hazard lights at the back were flashing (didn't notice if the fronts/sides were flashing but one would assume they all were). So when I got in I turned on the ignition and there was no indication of the hazards being on either prior to or after I turned on the ignition. I then pressed the hazard lights button to check and it activated as normal, so it wasn;t a case of having accidently knocked it on the way out of the car.

Does anyone know if there's a particular set of circumstances that would cause this? I was wondering if - being the way Volvo's are - it's possible they've programmed the ECU to see a situation where the ignition has been turned off for more than a few mins with the wipers left half way up the screen and the car in gear as a possible emergency situation and so it puts the hazards on. Might be a long shot!

stribo
Sunday 24th July 2016, 15:07
Is it possible the alarm was activated, but the alarm horn's given up, so it just flashes the indicators, had this on our old S70. Try locking the car with the windows open, and see if the alarm goes off.

M-R-P
Sunday 24th July 2016, 15:48
Believe it or not, if it's a pre-2004 model, it could be a sign of early dim failure. They do weird 5h!t when the dim goes.

htomi
Sunday 24th July 2016, 16:33
Before painting the DIM devil onto the wall, I would test the alarm. Roll down the driver side window, close the car, wait few mins then try to open the car with the inner door latch. The alarm siren + the indicators should be activated. In case if the siren is dead, then only the indicators will be activated.

M-R-P
Sunday 24th July 2016, 18:52
I've never known an alarm play silly buggers with the key in the ignition mate.

Shinsplintz 101
Monday 25th July 2016, 06:02
+ for the DIM, but worthwhile checking the alarm as its an easy test.

Gold 'N' Brown
Monday 25th July 2016, 15:48
Thanks for the replies. I dont think it was alarm related. DIM is a worry.

M-R-P
Monday 25th July 2016, 16:16
It could be some unknown volvo thing where it flashes the hazards to tell you that you've left the keys in it.
Maybe...
I wouldn't put it past volvo to do something odd like that.

I might try it later, did you leave the ignition on or off when you left the car?

Gold 'N' Brown
Monday 25th July 2016, 23:43
Pretty sure it was off.

LeeT5
Wednesday 27th July 2016, 03:56
Sounds to me like one of your kids pressed the hazard button without your wife noticing?

On a side note.....Alarm takes only 30s to arm, not minutes! Also, you'll have DTC... UEM 0004 stored for a faulty alarm module.

The alarm would not self arm with the car not locked and keys still in the ignition and not released from the lock.

I wouldn't worry about it, unless it starts to get more frequent. Worth checking codes though! :B_thumb:

Gold 'N' Brown
Thursday 28th July 2016, 14:33
Wasn't the kids Lee, both were strapped in (one sleeping) and in the back with the wife. My dad had been in the front with me, but came in the shop with me. As I thought the switch had been pressed by mistake it was the first thing I checked but it wasn't that.

I'm going to replicate the conditions and see if it does it again. But as you said, not something I shall worry about for now. It's like when I got that error related to the immobiliser ignition ring thing ages ago (prob a year ago actually), that has so far been a one off. No point losing sleep until it become more regular.