PDA

View Full Version : Help!! Please.

masres
Tuesday 6th December 2005, 07:31
Hi All , help needed desperately . Im going to look at some cars today and want a valid opinion.
Ive already changed my mind once , going from having an 850 T5 to a V70 T5, but someone has a V40 T4 ,am I going in the wrong direction? :slap:
Top of my list currently is a VOLVO V70 2.3 T5 R Estate V70 R, 5 Doors, Automatic, Estate, Petrol, R Reg, any ideas of what should be looking at paying for this realistically. I've got no idea of mileage as yet.

All advice welcome before I break my heart.

Mrsmopp
Tuesday 6th December 2005, 08:42
If its a genuine R then you should be paying between 6-7k depending on the mileage and condition.

If you have a big enough budget then an R will always hold more value ;)

x

Andrew
Tuesday 6th December 2005, 08:44
If its a genuine R then you should be paying between 6-7k depending on the mileage and condition.

If you have a big enough budget then an R will always hold more value ;)

x

I do worry about an R with an auto box though - lot of power and on 2 Rs with auto boxes they have failed!....

Mrsmopp
Tuesday 6th December 2005, 08:53
I do worry about an R with an auto box though - lot of power and on 2 Rs with auto boxes they have failed!....

Not heard of it yet on a V70 tho

x

stuAWD
Tuesday 6th December 2005, 09:17
Me thinks you worry a tad to much.

Mrsmopp
Tuesday 6th December 2005, 09:21

One of those was running nion 300bhp tho and 2 boxes out of all the auto boxes on here isn't bad odds really for 10 year old cars?

x

Andrew
Tuesday 6th December 2005, 09:26
Me thinks you worry a tad to much.

Probably got something to do with the 1800 quid I paid to get mine fixed!

Andrew
Tuesday 6th December 2005, 09:29
One of those was running nion 300bhp tho and 2 boxes out of all the auto boxes on here isn't bad odds really for 10 year old cars?

x

2 R boxes :P

There has been 5 at least gone in the last year. Maybe I'm just a case of "once bitten twice shy" just don't want to guy to pick up a dud.

On the flip side - I loved my auto and only went manual this time because I wanted lots of power and torque and to tune this one a little more than the old one.

Ac.

masres
Tuesday 6th December 2005, 09:41
OK Guys now youve got me confused ,Just remember you are dealing with a girlie and a blonde to boot !

Are you perhaps saying that I should be wary of the R with an auto box?

Most of the stuff out there in the T5 at the mo seems to be automatic any way , this I dont really mind , but how much in performance will I lose as opposed to having a manual. Also are the autos able to be tweeked?

Mrsmopp
Tuesday 6th December 2005, 09:54
Yes you can tweak the auto's - not to the same limits as a manual as the auto boxes are a little weaker. As long as you dont go mad you shouldn't have any problems with an auto box and will get many a happy mile out of it without any problems.

On road performance there is very little in it between an auto and a manual, there is a power loss through the box but its not significant enough to make that much difference on the road.

If you happy with an auto and you dont want to get silly power out of it then you should have no worries.

x

fraz13
Tuesday 6th December 2005, 10:02
Hi there

Dont let these guys put you off auto's

There very much a preference thing but all I drive is auto, Im far from easy on my cars, Anyone remember the Stretton Fox or even Loch Lomond Shores carpark?? Auto's even with 300bhp dont just light tyres up like that, they need to be heavy abused to manage it in the dry and I aint lost a box yet, last car had 173k on original box

Volvo aint daft, there not putting auto boxes in these cars and the cars cant handle the power, and as you said most you see are auto's,

Dont be scared, the auto boxes are bullit proof for everyday driving, its like everything, if its well looked after it will look after you ;)

Engineer
Tuesday 6th December 2005, 13:45
Hi there

Dont let these guys put you off auto's

There very much a preference thing but all I drive is auto, Im far from easy on my cars, Anyone remember the Stretton Fox or even Loch Lomond Shores carpark?? Auto's even with 300bhp dont just light tyres up like that, they need to be heavy abused to manage it in the dry and I aint lost a box yet, last car had 173k on original box

Volvo aint daft, there not putting auto boxes in these cars and the cars cant handle the power, and as you said most you see are auto's,

Dont be scared, the auto boxes are bullit proof for everyday driving, its like everything, if its well looked after it will look after you ;)
Ditto, and then left foot brake everywhere........................................ .....

andi t5
Tuesday 6th December 2005, 18:41
Ditto, and then left foot brake everywhere........................................ .....your havng a laugh, volvo auto boxes bullet proof ?there anything but im afraid ,the manual boxes however are bullet proof

Engineer
Tuesday 6th December 2005, 18:50
your havng a laugh, volvo auto boxes bullet proof ?there anything but im afraid ,the manual boxes however are bullet proofBullit proof? did I miss something?

S60D5
Tuesday 6th December 2005, 18:57
Having driven both of many thousands of miles, I think the auto's are GREAT!

I also think the manuals are great! Just like Fraz says, it's down to preference as to which you prefer more.

masres
Tuesday 6th December 2005, 22:10
Ive been here there and everywhere today looking at cars , Im sorry but some of the sales chat makes me cringe !Some of the cars made me cringe . One bloke even went as far as showing me where you filled it up, he said to the the car was perfect BUT sometimes when you were driving it groaned ,but otherwise was fine . To coin a phrase , I groaned , made my excuses and left .
Im going to look at the T5R tomorrow but have just discovered some one no more than a mile from me is selling a T70 AWD .

S60D5
Tuesday 6th December 2005, 22:11
T70 AWD .

Whats that then? :anmflower

masres
Tuesday 6th December 2005, 22:21
All wheel drive ? :insane:

S60D5
Tuesday 6th December 2005, 22:22
All wheel drive ? :insane:

No.. the T70...

Did Volvo release a recent model I didn't know about? :troutslap

masres
Tuesday 6th December 2005, 22:32
Sorry typing error , Imbuilding my dream car in my head ! :slap:

S60D5
Tuesday 6th December 2005, 22:34
Sorry typing error , Imbuilding my dream car in my head ! :slap:

Hehe. Wonder what the T series would look like! :anmflower

Is it a 2.5 LPT rather than the T5 ?

masres
Tuesday 6th December 2005, 22:41
I'll let you know when Ive done a test drive .

Mrsmopp
Wednesday 7th December 2005, 08:17
I'm afraid their are a lot of dogs out there, dont give up tho - theres a good one just waiting for you to find it!!

Keep us updated!

x

P.S dont you just hate being patronised by male salesfolk!

masres
Wednesday 7th December 2005, 08:33
Yes , most especially on the times that I have my husband with me . Despite him working for Jaguar he has NO interest whatsoever in motorised transport , doesnt even drive . (only me up the wall, but thats another story). :) ,, when they realise its me thats got the money they get all aggressive out of embarrassment. Love it.
Off out again today , I have a feeling I will be coming back with one .
Ill let you know .

jross
Wednesday 7th December 2005, 10:52
Quick comment, if I may. The experience on this side of the pond has generally been that the AW52 automatic tranny fitted on the FWD 850s and S/V/C70s typically does not hold well past 150k miles and/or 300bhp. Also, you gain quite a bit of power on a manual just because of the higher efficiency drivetrain.

(Already blew up my automatic in the R, and I've got a bad feeling the C70's might be getting there :( )

Viffer
Wednesday 7th December 2005, 13:41
ok time for my 2p.....

Both my volvos were auto, L reg S50 T5 got rid of it at 176k to previous owner and auto box was still ace. I am pretty sure the car was tweaked (superchiped) and I know the turbo had been played with i.e wastegate and intake re configured..i reckon it was putting out around the 300bhp mainly as the wheels would spin in any weather from a hard start and in the wet you had to be rather careful but the auto coped with it with no problems.

My current P reg V70 T5 auto is meant to be 240bhp but is way slower than the 850 and the trans is not as slick i.e. smooth quick changes as aforementioned 850. I suspect unless proved wrong the older 850 trans units are more sturdy..there was a rumour years ago that volvo "detuned" the auto boxes as many people were not used to autos going as soon as you pressed the accelerator.

FWIW I would not worry about the auto box to much, but remember all the other reasons you are after the car, comfort, safety etc etc.
Power is not everything you know especially in a traffic jam.

Hope that helps.
Viffer.

masres
Wednesday 7th December 2005, 21:32
Well.........Ive got a Volvo V70 but NOT a T5 . I went to see a V70 AWD and fell in love with it , I let my sensible head take over for 5 minutes .My logic is that I will use this one for the work that I need to do , carrying a dog or two , but look for a saloon that I can use just for humans .I know that I didnt give myself much time looking jfor a T5, just over a fortnight but some of the stuff that Ive seen for sale could have put less determined souls off the Volvo for life . I am now going to take my time and have leisurely look around .
What I would like to do is put some new tyres on this one , any recommendations?
Did I see a thread that mentioned being able to change the headlight bulbs for something with alot crisper light?

I also need a dog guard and despite being allowed the 10% discount will not be buying it from Volvo £138.vat , I think not .
I know that there is 2 on ebay at the moment but they are the wrong colour .

Wobbly Dave
Thursday 8th December 2005, 02:08
Well done - sounds ace

Vikingxl
Thursday 8th December 2005, 05:20
Good luck with the new dog carrier hope you enjoy it.

Mrsmopp
Thursday 8th December 2005, 08:20
Congrats on the new purchase Lucie. Give Salvo a ring (its a long shot) for the dog guard. There is a post in the members discounts section with all their details (10% off their too!)

x

Viffer
Thursday 8th December 2005, 09:04
Well done.... as for your tyre question...personally I think GoodYear Eagle F1's are about the best you can get however Pirrelli P6000's are pretty good as a standard tyre which seeing as you are not putting through T5 power might be the best option.

Halfrauds currently do a buy one get one free on the super brilliance bulbs which I have been useing. Not bad.

Enjoy.

Viffer.

masres
Thursday 8th December 2005, 09:54
Congrats on the new purchase Lucie. Give Salvo a ring (its a long shot) for the dog guard. There is a post in the members discounts section with all their details (10% off their too!)

x
Salvo have one on ebay at the moment , hewill let me have it for £75.+vat through the normal route ,or I can wait and see what it gets to on ebay .Trouble is its the wrong colour .

S60D5
Thursday 8th December 2005, 10:00
Congrats.

As for the tyres - I'd say have a look at the Hankook Ventus Sports K104. They seem to be getting consistant excellent reviews for their performance in the wet and dry, reasonably hard wearing and quiet inside the car. I'm gonna get some when my Michellin Pilot Sports give up the ghost on mine, and they're only £69 each for me! (225/45/17!) I think they're about £50 each for the 205/50/16 size (plus fitting).

If you want a more well known brand, try Uniroyal Rainsports - good all rounder. Pirelli and Goodyear seem to be pretty bad wearing. Certainly the Pirelli in my experiences!