PDA

View Full Version : Geartronic in an 05 T5. Good idea or bad?

Baj
Friday 24th June 2016, 15:01
Auto's scare me with their magic ways. But I have seen a nice T5 with geartronic, on 170k.

What are the bad points? What are the good? Should I save the money for a bunker in the garden?

htomi
Friday 24th June 2016, 18:59
Is this the same what has been used on the Rs? TF-80? If yes, then the US forum is full with valve body issues...
Otherwise, check the history of the fluid change or even check the fluid itself. As the 05s don't have dipstick to check, it might be tricky, perhaps someone else has a good idea how to do it. In case the fluid is dark brown/black or smells burnt, walk away and don't look back.

htomi
Friday 24th June 2016, 19:09
As you can see it my signature, I have a GT. 90% of the time using it in manual mode. Kinda like it. Very comfortable but it needs more maintenance than the manual, especially when driven hard.

LiamT4
Friday 24th June 2016, 19:55
The later geartronics are more reliable than the early ones. That said, at 170k, i'd treat it like an auto on any car and make sure it is working well. i.e selecting the proper gears, nice smooth changes, no clunks etc.

LeeT5
Saturday 25th June 2016, 10:54
Liam's right. In most cases, most are ok. All you can do is take it for a test drive. Drive it slowly, progressively, looking for noises that aren't normal and silky smooth gear changes.
With the car stationary, select Reverse to D and back again quickly....there should be no sudden jolts/bangs/thuds. If any of the above are apparent, say thank you and walk away.
Seeing as you can't check fluid condition on an 05 without draining oil, if it drives OK on old oil then it stands to reason that everything will be sweet on new oil.
Like all second hand cars....you pays yer money and you take yer chances!

Harvey
Saturday 25th June 2016, 11:22
You do need to have a longish test drive to get the gearbox up to temp as this is when things show up when the fluid is hot .

Soulboy
Saturday 25th June 2016, 15:22
Plus try to sit in traffic for a bit,as they can play up in stop/start driving

MistralS60
Sunday 26th June 2016, 05:54
We recently met a chap with a P reg Volvo estate which had done well over 400,000 miles on the original auto box ...

Harvey
Sunday 26th June 2016, 09:52
We recently met a chap with a P reg Volvo estate which had done well over 400,000 miles on the original auto box ...

The P2 boxes are very different..

LiamT4
Wednesday 29th June 2016, 21:30
Yes, good test drive is a must on an auto. All types of driving, especially making sure they "kick down" properly