PDA

View Full Version : Oil cooler line

Doingitsideways
Wednesday 8th June 2016, 20:47
Noticed a fair bit of oil under the S70 the other day.
Had a butcher's and the bottom half of the engine covered in oil.
Did my best to trace it back and it seems to be coming from the top oil cooler hose near the rad.

One in the pic below:
http://i1137.photobucket.com/albums/n518/doingitsideways/_20160608_204607_zpsvwkqfcee.jpg (http://s1137.photobucket.com/user/doingitsideways/media/_20160608_204607_zpsvwkqfcee.jpg.html)

Power steering hoses above are bone dry, as is the joint to the rad and the crimped joint too.
Seems to be coming from about an inch below the crimp.
No obvious splits of holes though.

Question :
Are these hoses known to fail, as I've never heard of it before. It's usually the hose/rad joint.

Also, anyone have one knocking around the shed they don't need?

Ta,
Steve

Orca2
Wednesday 8th June 2016, 22:00
They do fail , and when it goes you lose almost all your oil very quickly indeed. A mate had one go last year he smelt it and about ten seconds later it had dropped all its oil, the road looked like the Exxon Valdez disaster and the engine bay was worse. He did manage to stop before the engine went tits up.

Doingitsideways
Thursday 9th June 2016, 12:01
Holy crap!

Rang FRF and even with discount it's £83 with the o-rings at the block end!

Nowhere else seems to do them, even Skandix :(

MoleT-5R
Thursday 9th June 2016, 12:09
cut the hoses off the metal pipes lower down and plumb in a remote cooler, that's what is happening to mine on the olive, you should be able to do that for less than the cost of replacement hoses and seals and then have peace of mind that if the rad cooler fails you won't have your engine oil contaminated with water

Doingitsideways
Thursday 9th June 2016, 13:10
Very true, Adrian. Very good idea.

Just really not got the time at the moment, a replacement hose would just be easier and quicker, at least in theory.

MoleT-5R
Friday 10th June 2016, 05:20
You might be able to get a hydraulic hose company to crimp new hose to your existing pipework and fittings, just a thought