PDA

View Full Version : T5 Exhaust leak - turbo, or Manifold or flexi?

GreenMachine
Wednesday 8th June 2016, 09:38
Decided to sort my exhaust manifold gasket last week on T5

Took it apart and replaced the manifold gaskets with new ones which were metal one side only, so imo not as good as the gen volvo one's but I think I've sealed those, thing is when I took the turbo off there were no gaskets between the turbo and the manifold and the turbo and the exhaust, however when I bought everything I bought new tin gaskets for these joints.

So I've put everything back together and have a fairly big leak, I've checked the flexi by trying to open it up using a lever on the mounting in front the cat, no change to the noise level so my leak is probably on the turbo.

So I wondered whether anyone could advise me on whether the turbo has gaskets or not, and should I be using any paste or? when mounting the turbo, whether the ring holding the turbo together prone to leaking after splitting the turbo? and whether the turbo normally has washers on the nuts as imo they're as tight as I can get them?

claymore
Wednesday 8th June 2016, 09:42
turbo doesn't normally have a gasket as far as I can remember.

MoleT-5R
Wednesday 8th June 2016, 12:27
As Colin said, the turbo doesn't have a gasket. Check the exhaust gaskets if they're the individaul type that there isn't one upside down, as that will cause a leak and is an easy and a quite common mistake

Tim Williams
Wednesday 8th June 2016, 12:38
The cars with K24s have gaskets on the turbine housing. Running without them shouldn't cause a problem. If you removed the V band clamp holding the core to the turbine housing you must clean all mating faces so the two parts go together without any interference. As Mole said most likely you have the gaskets between the head and manifold incorrect, it's way better to use a 8699467 and cut off the part number.

The only washers are on the studs to the head and they must be put on the correct way, flange nuts are used there and to hold the turbine housing and DP on they are crimp nuts without any washer.

GreenMachine
Wednesday 8th June 2016, 15:34
Terrific, thanks everyone.

I've taken those out, the result is a job well worth doing, expect the ECU will catch up over the next week or so.

I really should have done them earlier!

Thanks again

stribo
Thursday 9th June 2016, 07:17
As Colin said, the turbo doesn't have a gasket. Check the exhaust gaskets if they're the individaul type that there isn't one upside down, as that will cause a leak and is an easy and a quite common mistake

Who'd do something as stupid as that? ;)

Jamest5r
Thursday 9th June 2016, 10:16

Er.......me :)

MoleT-5R
Thursday 9th June 2016, 12:13

Er.......me :)

well that's 2 of you ...:hilarious

I wasn't naming anyone just saying it is a known common mistake.......:nutkick: