PDA

View Full Version : FFS! 850 t5 not starting

jdavis
Friday 27th May 2016, 11:33
Hi guys,

Any tips?
Drove fine to tesco, went shop, came out, started very lumpy then died. Not started since. Turns over ok. I'm suspecting fuel pump/relay. Took relay out and it looks fine.

Santa
Friday 27th May 2016, 12:20
Similar symptoms when my fuelpump controller died. Wired 12v direct to the pump and it started working so replaced the controller. Maybe try wiring power to the pump and try starting. (Dont run for too long though)

Sent from my SM-N9208 using Tapatalk

jdavis
Friday 27th May 2016, 13:26
Cheers Rich, green flag just been out. He's had a nosey around the pump and said there's power to it on ignition so suspect the pump. Just sat waiting for flatbed now as he can't dolly an auto apparently.

jdavis
Friday 27th May 2016, 13:27
Where's this controller out of interest? Thanks

craigoodwood
Friday 27th May 2016, 16:45
id say pump, try tapping it on the top then try starting it on idle the pump is running and on load it runs but cuts out when coasting so if pump siezed itll try, run and fail ;) a walbro is as cheap or cheaper than a new volvo one :)

Wobbly Dave
Friday 27th May 2016, 17:35
I have a spare pump when I replaced my OEM one with the DW300. You can have it for 10 quid?

Santa
Friday 27th May 2016, 19:06
On the S60 it was near the osr wheel arch, not a clue on the 850. (Or if it even has one).

Like Wobbly, I have a spare pump off the S60, not sure useful it would be but yours if you want it

MoleT-5R
Saturday 28th May 2016, 13:59
If as the Green Flag man said, that there's no power to to pump, then check the 4 pin relay on the radiator and the wires to it, as they break up over time (small breaks in the cable cover that then corrode over time), took me a long time to find on mine when I had a similar issue and no power to the pump. Try getting someone to crank the starter whilst you wiggle the wiring to it, you may find it springs to life....that's how I found my problem

jdavis
Sunday 29th May 2016, 19:21
Thanks for the advice guys. Bought a pump from someone breaking a t5. Just waiting on delivery. Thanks for that though Dave, didn't see the post in time though. Doh!
He said there was power to the pump but will do7ble check everything as he wasn't the brightest spark

oblark
Sunday 29th May 2016, 21:38
If as the Green Flag man said, that there's no power to to pump, then check the 4 pin relay on the radiator and the wires to it, as they break up over time (small breaks in the cable cover that then corrode over time), took me a long time to find on mine when I had a similar issue and no power to the pump. Try getting someone to crank the starter whilst you wiggle the wiring to it, you may find it springs to life....that's how I found my problem

The relay on the front panel by the radiator is the power relay that supplies voltage to the injectors, MAF, ICV, PTC valve and the TCV. The fuel pimp relay is located in the fuse board under the removable panel by the fuses. The relay gets a signal from the ecu when the ignition lights are on for a short time to prime the system, once the engine is cranked over the relay then supplies the fuel pump allow the engine to start.

MoleT-5R
Monday 30th May 2016, 00:37
The relay on the front panel by the radiator is the power relay that supplies voltage to the injectors, MAF, ICV, PTC valve and the TCV. The fuel pimp relay is located in the fuse board under the removable panel by the fuses. The relay gets a signal from the ecu when the ignition lights are on for a short time to prime the system, once the engine is cranked over the relay then supplies the fuel pump allow the engine to start.

Yep, see what you mean Rob, but the one that can cause the most grief I've found to be the one on the radiator.I've always though of it as the pump relay, wrongly I know

jdavis
Monday 30th May 2016, 01:09
Yeah I checked the relay pointed out by Rob at the 'roadside' and it is engaging ok. Pump will be with me by the end of the week, treating her to a new battery while it's off the road and hopefully get time to deal with a couple of niggles