PDA

View Full Version : Rear shoe tools

S40kieran
Friday 27th May 2016, 08:51
On the rear brake shoes on the s60's and other models I guess, if you watch you tube videos and alike people are pushing the retaining springs in with long nose pliers although it seems to work and they come off it seems a bit Heath Robinson can you get a correct tool is the question. Any links ideas welcome. I'm a believer in using the right tool for the job.

Baj
Friday 27th May 2016, 12:12
They are a ££££. Pliers are really the correct tool for what I have seen. Grab, push in, rotate 90 degrees, pulll out.

In reality its about 30 mins of swearing.

Worth noting, if you use pattern shoes (ie not Volvo) you may find they are a teeeny tiny bit different. Not enough to notice but the handbrake wont work.
Get some adjustable spacers from Volvo. They are cheap and they make life much better. Maybe get a couple of new retainer springs while there ;)

S40kieran
Friday 27th May 2016, 12:19
Thanks baj :) I have a new spring kit I'm putting on brembo as I swear by their stuff, I have new springs aswell advice from Harvey, I've also got the handbrake adjusters instead of the solid h bar, what are the spacers ;).

Dancake
Saturday 28th May 2016, 01:51

This is the tool for the retaining springs. Quite expensive for all it is, but using long nose pliers can fill up your swear box very quickly

Baj
Saturday 28th May 2016, 02:52
You have it all :p

Tempted to make one of those tools. They look pretty simple