PDA

View Full Version : Catch can configuration

Wobbly Dave
Tuesday 24th May 2016, 12:43
Just wondering about those who may have fitted one - is it worth doing? And if so how should it be configured. I read a few posts from Volvospeed which alarmed me a little... http://volvospeed.com/install_performance_parts_how_tos/performance_guides/catch_can_install.html

Blocking off the top crankcase hole does not seem wise?

I don't want to continue to recirc the oil droplets back into the intake - so I was thinking that I should intercept at the point where the PTC valve is (point 13 on the diagram below) and let the catch can vent back into the intake?

M-R-P
Tuesday 24th May 2016, 13:39
All I did was intercept it where it vents to the intake pipe, extend the pipe to a second catch tank, then the outlet from the tank back to the inlet.
That way, it maintains the vacuum draw from the inlet and keeps it flowing as it should.

I've not had any oil in the boost pipes since fitting it :)

Wobbly Dave
Tuesday 24th May 2016, 16:37
Any particular type of catch tank I should look out for? There are a number of designs.

Jamest5r
Tuesday 24th May 2016, 18:00
I went for one with the opening on the top so I can stick a fat syringe in it and suck the crap out without having to remove it

M-R-P
Tuesday 24th May 2016, 21:49
I got the cheapest one I could find in eBay :)

Dangerous Dave
Wednesday 25th May 2016, 00:10
I too bought a cheapo one off ebay. Got tired of emptying it in the end though, had to do it quite frequently (though it was on a 120k engine).

M-R-P
Wednesday 25th May 2016, 00:48
I too bought a cheapo one off ebay. Got tired of emptying it in the end though, had to do it quite frequently (though it was on a 120k engine).

222444k on mine last week. I've emptied mine once since I've had it. Most of what was in there was "custard" water/oil mix from the condensation it caught on cold starts.

Dangerous Dave
Wednesday 25th May 2016, 08:07
Yeah, sounds like the same cruddy mix I had in mine. That was before I did the valve stem seals though.

Wobbly Dave
Wednesday 25th May 2016, 09:40
I am not expecting the same age related issues. Everything is pretty new. Going to get one with a drain plug so it can be easily emptied. Gonna find some stainless steel scourers to increase the internal surface area as per the MCM video on YouTube.