PDA

View Full Version : S60 T5 tuning options ? :\

Volvocano
Tuesday 14th September 2004, 13:31
Hi all,

this is my first post (of many i suspect). i really like the layout of the forum and its a UK one so this will be my base for the next few years. anyways...

im in the process of purchasing a S60 T5 250bhp FWD. I have been doing some serious swating up and have found BSR and RICA to be two good options for Chip tuning this particular model.

my aim is to reach over 300bhp and simular torque gains without affecting engine longevity too much. Although volvos are built like tanks (and weigh as much LOL !) iam worried that the T5 wont be capable of delivering 300-325bhp without serious engine damage. obviously id want an uprated heavy duty clutch that could handle upto 350bhp/350lbft give or take. and if possible a lighter one at that to save weight.

any help would be appreciated.

oohh also... ive heard its possible to chip the T5 to 299-310bhp is this true.

thanks guys/gals

:)

--Phill--

Wobbly Dave
Tuesday 14th September 2004, 14:39
RICA is supposed to deliver 304 bhp and 420 Nm of torque. Adam's at Volvo tuning has all the bits added (his is a P reg 854R with manual tranny) and has been dynoed pushing 350bhp. This is where the limits of the engine lie, so as far as I can tell pushing 300 is well within the stock limitations. Beermonsta (Ian from Birmingham) has the same car as the one you are buying - Manual S60 T5 and he has the RICA. For first hand experience he should be contacted. Now I am not certain whether he registered on here or on VT5 - www.volvo-T5.co.uk - the sister UK T5 forum to this one.
Justin is running RICA and so am I. We both believe that we are capable of pushing over 300bhp with no long term damage. My car is not well at the moment - problems with the new recon turbo. This is not a result of RICA, BTW, just one of those things.

I recon - with all the research done by other peeps I know - RICA is the best value for money

lance
Tuesday 14th September 2004, 15:38
RICA is supposed to deliver 304 bhp and 420 Nm of torque. Adam's at Volvo tuning has all the bits added (his is a P reg 854R with manual tranny) and has been dynoed pushing 350bhp. This is where the limits of the engine lie, so as far as I can tell pushing 300 is well within the stock limitations. Beermonsta (Ian from Birmingham) has the same car as the one you are buying - Manual S60 T5 and he has the RICA. For first hand experience he should be contacted. Now I am not certain whether he registered on here or on VT5 - www.volvo-T5.co.uk - the sister UK T5 forum to this one.
Justin is running RICA and so am I. We both believe that we are capable of pushing over 300bhp with no long term damage. My car is not well at the moment - problems with the new recon turbo. This is not a result of RICA, BTW, just one of those things.

I recon - with all the research done by other peeps I know - RICA is the best value for money

here here , Just had mine rica,d and it ment to be 310bhp and 420nm and it certainly feels like it, Im very very pleased :banana: :anmflower

Mrsmopp
Tuesday 14th September 2004, 16:22
The T5 engine can take the 304/310bhp that the RICA produces without having to do any further modifications. A one off payment for all that power!!

There are lots of other tuning companies out there but no one produces the same figures as RICA does. The only con I have come across with the RICA is the price is does seem expensive compared to the other products, however, when you research the other products fully you will understand why! :wink:

If you want some info on the other products drop me a private message and I'll let you in on what i know!

x

Volvocano
Tuesday 14th September 2004, 20:43
Thanks all

il try and contact beermonster about this or hopefully he will see this.

lance you have RICA 310 upgrade are you interested in its actual figures, a RR day maybe needed. I have decided based on the strengh of other peoples experiences to go with RICA option for the T5 to see 310 (although i heard there is a 340bhp conversion soon).

If i Firstly add RICA. = 304-310.

then

Add uprated intercooler (also probably catback/sportcat)

will this confuse the ECU and deliver less power or will it increase power even though the chip hasnt been specificall tailerd for these extra mods.

btw i imagine an intercooler after chip would still increase power (perhaps 20-25bhp ??)

sorry for being stupid about this but im not very enlightened about "Chipping" i assume that once a figure i.e 310 is set then no matter what you do to improve performance the figure will stay at 310 until you modify tailor map with the extra mods in mind ???

--Phill--

Justin
Tuesday 14th September 2004, 21:42
With regard to the mods, an exhaust will give you very little or no extra power on top of 310bhp, the volvo exhaust is more than adequate, the intercooler is huge and you will also not gain anything with a replacement.

There is also a difference between mapping and chipping, chipping is soldering another eprom into the ecu to fool it into more boost, the remap alters timing, ignition and fuel as well as many others to give a safe but ferocious power delivery.

The 2 are not that far apart in price but the gains are way apart, remap is the way to go with which ever manufacturer, i have a Rica remap on mine, but there are many now and it's down to choice :wink:

If we can help in any way give us a shout!!!

Volvocano
Wednesday 15th September 2004, 10:43
once again thanks for all the advise :)
im heading towards the RICA remap for 310hp.

in the real world what difference does this extra 60bhp make ?? and is there both a 250 and a 260 bhp version of the S60T5

i know its an inane question but whats the real 0-60 time of a standard S60T5 ??? sub 7secs but what figure i think i read 6.8 somewhere but i imagine it would be around 6.5.

would 310bhp see a faster 0-60 if the power was put down well.

Justin
Wednesday 15th September 2004, 11:04
I have had 5.7 seconds from my rica'ed 850 so i would imagine if you got the launch right you could pull a 5.5 sec 0-60 mate yeh.

Its the trying thats themost fun :biggrin:

Volvocano
Wednesday 15th September 2004, 11:20
apparently the top end is increased to 171mph. hmm 5.5 sounds good but id want a 5.3 - 5.0 need to keep close to M3`s.

Justin
Wednesday 15th September 2004, 11:52
Not in the real world mate, once past 1st gear it will be so tight, then 3rd its all over for M3 boys:wink:

Volvocano
Wednesday 15th September 2004, 13:01
RICA sounds like the choice then. is it driveable day to day ?? i need to maintain that. also 304-310 is awesome power, but i cant help feeling that id want 330bhp after id gone with RICA remap. what options after the remap are they for increasing power without having to tinker with the chip.

just out of interest once you have remapped is it a case of:

:bow_kneel

LOL

thanks for all your help

Mrsmopp
Wednesday 15th September 2004, 13:10
Just to clarify, the RICA isn't a chip its an ecu remap :wink:

Day to day driving is vastly improved without loosing your fuel economy. No need to change down to overtake cos your power is there in every gear!

There is no such thing as "enough" power!!!! I'm still on the drawing board!! :wink:

x

Volvocano
Wednesday 15th September 2004, 13:17
How do you get it remapped, is it a serial port jobbie or what. Also once again would you think that more horsepower is acheivable without altering the RICA remap via adding other after market parts i.e sports catalyser or larger turbo etc.. or would you have to get a company to specifically remap the mods in conjunction with the RICA to see over 310.

thanx. sorry for soundin like a dummy. :dunce:

Mrsmopp
Wednesday 15th September 2004, 13:37
Nah you dont sound like a dummy!!! When I first joined I knew jack about a T5 (still dont if I'm honest LOL)

The remap is done at Volvo Tuning by plugging your ecu into a computer and changing the software (all very hi tech!)

The problem you would have after installing the RICA onto your ecu is that the new software controls everything so any further modifications made may be ignored (or may disrupt) the brain. But that doesn't mean its impossible :wink:

You could however, upgrade your tubo to a 19T and do the RICA remap for that which would produce about 340/350BHP!!! :)

x

Wobbly Dave
Wednesday 15th September 2004, 14:03
RICA is good coz you can put in relatively a small amount for a very big gain. If you want the 19T - you need a new downpipe and a map to match - so it is better to go for the 350bhp in one go - otherwise you might find you have wasted the money on a map for a 15G - this depends on the car you get to start with? V70R AWD already have the 19T but they need it coz the drain of the 4WD system. 2 Grand spent at VT will get you what you need :wink:

I have had a recon turbo anyway after the RICA remap. So I already did £1200.

I wonder sometimes that I should have bitten the bullet and done the 19T/Remap/Downpipe to start out with?

After 350 you have to watch for the drive shafts and the con rods (next in the weakest link) - before you can go beyond. Torque steer will almost certainly become an issue? But I can't say as I have never talked to anyone with that much power in a T5

Wobbly Dave
Wednesday 15th September 2004, 14:11
RICA sounds like the choice then. is it driveable day to day ??

RICA addresses all aspects of the combustion process for the turbo charged 5 pot. so it is very driveable - there is no difference when you are off the turbo. Spool up is quicker/ lag non-existant - and as such you can glide easily and not have to change down if you need that quick acceleration. Normal day to day you should hardly notice the difference if you are not pushing hard.

GuyD5
Wednesday 15th September 2004, 14:21
this link may be of interest :D

http://www.rica.nl/index.php?phmu=21&pctt=14

And I'm fairly sure that the RICA'd ecu will be remapped without charge if further improvements are sourced through VT :D ... but I may be wrong on that point or there may be additional restrictions :redface: :rolleyes:

Volvocano
Wednesday 15th September 2004, 14:35
yea but 340-350bhp is where its at !! :dgrin: id most probably go for that option.. however iam big into weight saving on cars and the S60 is no exception. i may be better uprating other parts with better lighter weight ones in order to get a better power to weight ratio. i think 340bhp is enough for a FWD car hehe. :crazy:

i assume volvotunnig can create a car specific map to include a sportscat/downpipe. :)

GuyD5
Wednesday 15th September 2004, 14:40
Reading their website it says....

Custom RICA ECU re-mapping is also available. This will include a rolling road session and WB-LSU analysed re-mapping of any RICA ECU purchased from us. This allows us to custom reprogram your ECU whenever any other modifications are made to your car. Your car can be tuned as often as is required to take maximum advantage of all your performance upgrades.

:D

Volvocano
Wednesday 15th September 2004, 15:42
exellent :D cant wait.

Mrsmopp
Wednesday 15th September 2004, 15:59
The info Guy has is from the RICA in Sweeden and unfortunately Volvo Tunings Rolling Road is rather knackered at the moment!!

Not sure about the custom mapping either - give Adam a buzz at Volvo Tuning tho.

http://www.volvotuninguk.com/volvotuning/index.htm

x

GuyD5
Wednesday 15th September 2004, 16:53
The info Guy has is from the RICA in Sweden

Hi Mrsmopp the last quote (about the custom tuning) was actually from the VT website :hidesbehi

Mrsmopp
Wednesday 15th September 2004, 16:59
Sorry i assumed wrongly!!

x

GuyD5
Wednesday 15th September 2004, 17:00
I should have mentioned VT in the post ... having given the link to RICA in the previous one ;)

Justin
Wednesday 15th September 2004, 17:45
All the info is correct, VT do however charge 100 flat rate to do any ecu modifications, but thata a fair price i think!

beermonsta
Sunday 26th September 2004, 17:47
il try and contact beermonster about this or hopefully he will see this.

im here
better late than never :)
dont bother askin just get one now you wont regret it

Volvocano
Monday 27th September 2004, 13:06
what transmission manual, auto, geartronic ??? . im going for geartronic because ive had it with fully manual. that way i can get a bit of both without sacraficing performance. :shifty:

beermonsta
Monday 27th September 2004, 19:27
mine is manual never tryed the geartronic but have been told it takes to long to change up but dont know how true that is.
but i will say that clutches are very expensive if you kill one like i did, so if you gonna give it some stick bear that in mind.

lance
Tuesday 28th September 2004, 01:29
Ive had a bad experience with the early 4speed gm geartronic in an early S80 T6. Although the unit was mechanically fine the computers and electronics were forever letting it down and adaptive memorary is sh+t if you drive a lot in different conditions. ie town, motorway open roads and at different times. Ive heard the new geartronics are a lot better more reliable and on the s60 and its 5 speeds! They really need to be good as the tiptronic on Bmw and mercs though, as they are a joy to use. Would like to try a newer volvo geartronic, but the manual box in the t5 to me has always been slick ,smooth and positive compared to some mercs, audis and bemers ive driven.

Volvocano
Tuesday 28th September 2004, 10:54
yea the only reason i have doubts is that i cant seem to find any 2nd hand T5`s Manuals under 13k. so ive opted by the geartronic as second best.