PDA

View Full Version : Engine running hot?

Bigsi15
Wednesday 27th April 2016, 23:36
Hi all
This is the situation, about 200 miles ago I installed my rebuilt engine. However My new engine seems to run or feel like it's running very hot. The Thermostat sits nicely in the middle of the range though and it's running Volvo coolant not quite 50/50 as I had some leak initially but the cam cover is really hot and can't be touched. Coolant is at the correct level and radiator flows freely and all coolant pipes get hot. I seem to remember though my old engine was quite a bit cooler on top and seemed cooler above the intake cam compared to the exhaust cam.
I am using cheaper semi synth oil atm but is it normal to be this hot?? You can barely touch it for a split second. The engine is stock tuned other than a s60r head gasket and at the mo is being driven very gently. Could it just be related to new bits settling in (although I didn't replace the cams)? Would it be related to the fewer coolant holes in the s60r head gasket?? If the timing was out and it was running lean would this cause a check engine light??

I'm a bit paranoid about this engine but it seems to be running fine and no check engine lights

Any advice would be great :)

Thanks!

kmb
Thursday 28th April 2016, 10:03
I'd suggest if the coolant gauge temp is in the middle there's nothing to worry about, I don't think I've even safely touched a cam cover without it being burning hot - But someone more knowledgeable will soon come along!

960kg
Thursday 28th April 2016, 10:42
As kmb says so long as the temp. guage is at the correct place/level then no worries.

Having myself rebuilt quite a few performance engines in my time an engine is an engine and it has to run in because of the replaced parts and this is what generates extra heat.

No expertise of modern engineering can compare with practical running in of the parts although it can be somewhat lessened in miles.

Don`t be scared of it and don`t drive slowly otherwise if not rebored but new piston/rings etc . they will not bed in properly but get a glaze on them .....it should be run in briskly using the revs freely and changing gear often.

The solid camcovers can generate a lot of heat as it is all transferred by conduction. As the run in time goes by they will get cooler to the touch.

Bigsi15
Saturday 30th April 2016, 16:25
Thanks guys helps put my mind at ease :) took it for a run with the laptop and it showed the coolant temps were around 100 on long idle and less than that driving around. No knock at all so that's good to know too and timing was around %7 whatever that means lol. Either way the tuners seemed happy with it so game on!

Thanks guys