PDA

View Full Version : possible problems

mike 850
Sunday 4th December 2005, 16:49
my t5 isn't holding boost properly, i've replaced all the vacuum line from the inlet to the turbo but still doesn't make any difference, i've had a quick look around the boost hoses but cant see any splits.
basically its been 280'd the gauge goes straight to the end without any probs then slowly drops to around 3/4 mark and holds there, still very quick but obviously i want it running right, im new to turbo'd cars but i dont think theres any probs with the turbo itself, no smoke or hesitation or any strange noises, any suggestions would be gratefully recieved :)
thanks

Goof
Sunday 4th December 2005, 17:24
What speeds & in which gear?
Mine likes to give full boost (indicated) and maintains it in higher gears, haven't really had time to check in lower gears tho! ;)

spesh
Sunday 4th December 2005, 17:25
Could be a weak actuator? what milage is on your car?? high at a guess.

mike 850
Sunday 4th December 2005, 18:17
its at 119k now, it had a new engine fitted by volvo at 75k but im guessing they probably didnt change the turbo, how easy is the actuator to change?
cheers for advice so far :)

mike 850
Sunday 4th December 2005, 18:27
What speeds & in which gear?
Mine likes to give full boost (indicated) and maintains it in higher gears, haven't really had time to check in lower gears tho! ;)

forgot to answer this one, it seems to do it in everygear or definatly 3rd upwards if your only on full boost for a short time its fine, just when your in that gear through the whole rev range

craig
Sunday 4th December 2005, 22:33
same as mine and it turns out my turbo is on its last legs

mike 850
Sunday 4th December 2005, 23:00
i really hope its not, just went out side armed with my hand pump psi gauge and the actuator arm starts moving at just over 2psi and wouldnt go past 3 so not sure how accurate my gauge is but i think i might have a tweak of the actuator tomorrow see if i can get it up to 4.5ish?

like i said earlier this is my first turbo'd car(so dont know much about them), i cant understand if its a weak actuator why it would reach peak boost quite early then drop off?? i just would of thought it wouldnt hit peak, correct me if im wrong, please :B_steerin