PDA

View Full Version : Check your oil cooler lines!!

Bigsi15
Wednesday 20th April 2016, 14:34
Just a quick reminder to all to check and secure the clips on your oil cooler lines!! My top hose came unclipped today luckily 500m from my house driving gently with a cold engine but even then it dropped nearly 3 litres of oil in 50 feet! Don't risk wrecking your engine!

Hope everyone's having a good day
Si

p fandango
Wednesday 20th April 2016, 15:53
opps, have you had a radiator change recently?

some i know put a cable tie around the clip just to make sure

Bigsi15
Wednesday 20th April 2016, 16:07
Yeah engine change. Dropped all that oil that's only 0.1 miles old!! Grr!! I had those on really tight too but not tight enough it seems!! Was going to jubilee clip them on or as you say zip tie as I'm not having this mess again

jamesy12345
Wednesday 20th April 2016, 16:12
cable ties on mine

sorry to hear you lost the oil although could have been worse...!

Bigsi15
Wednesday 20th April 2016, 16:41
God absolutely, I'd rather lose 25 pounds of oil on a side road than all of it and a seizure engine on a motorway! I never realised how unreliable these clips were until today which is why I made his post to help someone else avoid this mess. I had those on pretty tight lol. Are there any other weak areas like this on the 850s while in the subject??

Doingitsideways
Wednesday 20th April 2016, 16:41
sorry to hear you lost the oil...

No you're not, keeps you in a job! :lol:

Seriously though, gutted Fella. Could have been much worse. Imagine if it popped off in the outside lane while boosting hard?!

'Tis a daft design really.

Bigsi15
Wednesday 20th April 2016, 16:44
Absolutely lol. Rolling environmental (and financial) disaster!

jamesy12345
Wednesday 20th April 2016, 16:51
No you're not, keeps you in a job! :lol:

:lol: I have this conversation with our lass - nothing to do with me what these naughty oil companies do with it after we pull it out of the ground. Just bottle it up & send onshore, never spill a drop :saint: we care about whales & stuff

Ettienne
Wednesday 20th April 2016, 18:23
Good advice but also dont check just change your water return on the turbo, £7 genuine and easy to change, if it splits your in trouble.

Ettienne
Wednesday 20th April 2016, 18:24
cable ties on mine

sorry to hear you lost the oil although could have been worse...!

I think I put a jubilee clip on mine.

Bigsi15
Wednesday 20th April 2016, 18:32
Thanks ettienne good shout. Are you talking about the very short rubber pipe that connects the metal lines??

Orca2
Wednesday 20th April 2016, 18:42
:lol: I have this conversation with our lass - nothing to do with me what these naughty oil companies do with it after we pull it out of the ground. Just bottle it up & send onshore, never spill a drop :saint: we care about whales & stuff

Awwww thanks Jamesy that made my day.

Sweep
Wednesday 20th April 2016, 18:52
Let's hope no one writes off their car on that lovely trail you left behind.

Bigsi15
Wednesday 20th April 2016, 20:22
Lol no quite, I was a responsible break downer though and rang the highways agency to clear it up!

Tim Williams
Wednesday 20th April 2016, 23:13
The clips are very good, the weak points are stretching them when fitting them, fitting them over corroded oil cooler ports and damaging them by installing a worm drive clip over them. If you look at the design of them you will see a worm drive clip over them will increase load on the part of the clip that's not locked into the pipe and reduce it on the part of the clip locked into the pipe. If the pipe, radiator and clip are not damaged or corroded they fit very well.

Ettienne
Wednesday 20th April 2016, 23:20
Thanks ettienne good shout. Are you talking about the very short rubber pipe that connects the metal lines??

Yes the water return, usually neglected and very old now and like to split, I replaced all the hoses on both Guls and olive. It's a common problem them splitting, I guess there located in a place that's not easy to see and most people seem to forget them

Bigsi15
Wednesday 20th April 2016, 23:30
Thanks Tim, is there a way to fit them without stretching them?? I flexed mine closed again after removal but they were bloody tight to re fit and after today think I will zip tie them just to be safe! I also wonder if they go on one way round too as one side seems thicker than the other. Ettienne thanks yes got where you mean, I did all my coolant hoses when replacing the engine so hopefully be ok :)