PDA

View Full Version : 2004 S60 possible stability control issue.

LiamT4
Sunday 17th April 2016, 11:00
Had a strange issue the other day. I'd just turned off a main road and then went to accelerate and, for a brief moment, it felt like the car lacked power (even more so than usual before anyone comments on my 180bhp). Originally it felt like it was in the wrong gear (its an auto) but then, when it happened again, i noticed the stability control light flash briefly. It seems to sort itself if i back off the throttle, so the next time it happened i kept my foot on the throttle and the light was continually flashing for about 4 seconds.

2 points:
It seem to only do it when turning left.
In the last few weeks i have noticed a slight noise coming from the drivers side front wheel when going over 40mph (the pitch changes the faster you go). Wheel hub bearing on its way out possibly.

I'll get the car booked into the garage in the next couple of weeks but i was just wondering if anyone had any ideas.

M-R-P
Sunday 17th April 2016, 12:25
The car will cut the throttle if it thinks it's wheelspinning too much.
Possibly reluctor ring, abs sensor, wheel bearing or a combination of the three giving spurious readings.

Harvey
Sunday 17th April 2016, 12:38
Drive shaft bolt loose ?, under the wheel center cap .

LiamT4
Sunday 17th April 2016, 12:47
The car will cut the throttle if it thinks it's wheelspinning too much.
Possibly reluctor ring, abs sensor, wheel bearing or a combination of the three giving spurious readings.

Drive shaft bolt loose ?, under the wheel center cap .

Doesn't sound a big issue then, i'll check check the drive shaft bolt when it stops raining.

M-R-P
Sunday 17th April 2016, 12:58
I drove mine for months with no driveshaft bolt in it, never caused any trouble at all. Just clunky.

Orca2
Sunday 17th April 2016, 20:23
Mine did exactly this with a loose driveshaft bolt, the shaft was backing out of the hub in corners allowing the abs ring to move back out of the range of the abs sensor , nipped it up tight and never had any more problems.

LiamT4
Sunday 17th April 2016, 20:39
Obviously i've forgot to check so i need to remember to do it after i finish work tomorrow. Thinking about it now, it has been a little bit clunky, but i tend to just go "oh, there's another suspension related noise......".

Orca2
Sunday 17th April 2016, 20:42
The traction control thinks you have one wheel skidding , and cuts the power.

LiamT4
Monday 18th April 2016, 20:25
The passenger side bolt was slightly loose but the drivers was already as tight as it would go.

Its gonna have to go in to the garage soon for the wheel bearing but i'd like the problem to be more noticeable before i do take it.

LiamT4
Tuesday 19th April 2016, 21:55
Guess i'll have to get it in the garage soon as its now knocking when going left round bends.

I would absolutely love to get a baseball and beat the crap out of this car. I remember when volvos were built well.............

M-R-P
Wednesday 20th April 2016, 08:45
Mine's fine :)

I blame the driver...

LiamT4
Wednesday 20th April 2016, 22:15
Out of all my cars it has by far the most niggles, even though they were driven much harder. They're not big issues, just constant niggles with suspension/steering components and electrical gremlins. Its seriously putting off volvos now.

and ******* bulbs. Its constantly needing god damned bulbs.

M-R-P
Wednesday 20th April 2016, 23:27
Nope, no trouble with bulbs either :)